Fact or fiction? Surplus to deficit?

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 02:38 pm
An acquintance and I were talking about the economy. I mentioned that Bush took over the Presidency with an economic surplus after the Clinton administration and turned it into a huge deficit. He became incensed and argued that was not true. Is it? I have always read and heard that was a fact.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 620 • Replies: 3
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 02:52 pm
It is true. Clinton had a annual budget surplus in the latter years of his presidency. We still had a huge national debt (which doubled under Bush), but there was an annual budge surplus.

If he'd like to argue it, send him our way. We love to argue.
Cat Purrson

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:06 pm
@maporsche,
Since the American population is getting fatter, we probably had an annual buldge surplus, too. LOL

My acquaintence had open heart surgery and was becoming very angry about it, so he terminated the "discussion" because of his blood pressure.

I wonder where information like this gets skewed in the telling. I know statistics can be presented to support just about every side of every theory imaginable, but where in the world could he have been to not know this? Under a rock with Rush?
maporsche

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:19 pm
@Cat Purrson,
In addition to our waistlines growing, so is our ignorance (not ours, but you know what I mean).
0 Replies