SHOULD OBAMA CROSS THE REEFER RUBICON

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 10:09 am
Will Obama Cross The 'Reefer Rubicon'?

The War on Drugs is ridiculous, behold the storm over Michael Phelps' partaking of marijuana, an illegal substance that at least two presidents have used. It is tragic, witness the raging gang violence along the Mexican border. Whether the Obama administration will downgrade the War on Drugs " or even better, call it off " remains to be seen.

But Obama's evident plan to make Gil Kerlikowske his "drug czar" (director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy) offers hope for more enlightened policy. As Seattle's police chief, Kerlikowske presided over a city that had virtually decriminalized small-scale possession of marijuana.

The War on Drugs is obscenely expensive. It enriches criminals and terrorists. And it messes up our foreign policy. Meanwhile, drugs grow ever cheaper and more potent.

While ending the war draws support from many political quarters, the broader public is hesitant to join in, especially when it comes to hard drugs. But polls show Americans more accepting of marijuana (perhaps because nearly half over the age of 12 say they've tried it). So easing up on marijuana would be the best place to start.

Kerlikowske has never revealed his inner thoughts on the subject, notes Norm Stamper,
who preceded him as Seattle's police chief and now backs legalizing all drugs. But Seattle's casual attitude toward marijuana, verging on open embrace, is world famous, and on this score, Kerlikowske has gone with the flow.

A high point of Seattle's social calendar is Hempfest. The marijuana celebration draws over 150,000 attendees in August. The hundreds of police who cover Hempfest pay no mind to the pot consumption, which is open and heavy.

"The officers would much rather police Hempfest than (Seattle's) Mardi Gras," Stamper told me. Hempfest is a peaceful gathering, while the Mardi Gras activities can turn ugly from alcohol-fueled aggression.

In 2003, Seattle voters approved a measure that makes arrests for possessing small amounts of marijuana the lowest police priority " lower than jaywalking. Washington State approved medical marijuana 10 years ago.

Is there a more absurd development than Mexican drug lords' decision to start growing pot in the United States, so as to avoid the hassle at the border? Marijuana is now the biggest cash crop in 12 states.

What does Obama think of all this? In 2004, he backed federal decriminalization of pot before an audience at Northwestern University.

--caglepost.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 528 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 10:24 am
@Advocate,
Hopefully he will be for legalizing and taxing it.

Cycloptichorn
Advocate

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 11:15 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I understand that about half the people incarcerated were arrested on drug-related crimes.

Legalization should go far beyond pot.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 01:06 pm
Cardoso, Gaviria, Zedillo Urge Obama to Decriminalize Marijuana

By Joshua Goodman

Feb. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Former presidents of Brazil, Mexico and Colombia said the U.S.-led war on drugs has failed and urged President Barack Obama to consider new policies, including decriminalizing marijuana, and to treat drug use as a public health problem.

The recommendations by former Brazilian President Fernando Henrique Cardoso, along with Ernesto Zedillo of Mexico and Cesar Gaviria of Colombia, were made in a report today by the Latin American Commission on Drugs and Democracy.

Among the group’s proposals ahead of a special United Nations ministerial meeting in Vienna to evaluate global drug policy is a call to decriminalize the possession of cannabis for personal use.

“We need to break the taboo that’s blocking an honest debate,” Cardoso said at a press conference in Rio de Janeiro to present the report. “Numerous scientific studies show that the damage caused by marijuana is similar to that of alcohol or tobacco.”

Gaviria, who as president of Colombia from 1990-1994 worked with U.S. anti-narcotics agents to hunt down and kill cocaine kingpin Pablo Escobar, said he hoped Obama invests in harm reduction and prevention efforts that would relieve Latin America of the burden of fighting drug traffickers.

Recognize the Failure

“It makes no sense to continue a policy on moral grounds without getting the desired results,” said Gaviria, citing an October report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office showing drug reduction goals in Colombia have not been met. “Obama, being a pragmatist, should recognize these failures.”

The group was created last year to focus the global drug debate on harm reduction and prevention efforts and away from policies based on the eradication of production and the criminalization of consumption.

Latin America is the world’s largest exporter of cocaine and cannabis and a major supplier of opium and heroin. It’s also been the main focus of U.S.-led drug eradication and interdiction efforts ever since U.S. President Richard Nixon declared “war on drugs” in 1971.

The GAO report, made at the request of then Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman, now vice president, Joseph Biden found that production of coca, the base ingredient of cocaine, increased by 15 percent in Colombia since 2000. The U.S. has provided Colombia with $4.9 billion in anti-narcotics aid since 1999 with the goal of reducing coca production by half.

Gaviria said Mexican President Felipe Calderon should demand Obama do more to reduce drug consumption. The U.S. pledged $400 million and increased cooperation with Mexico last year as part of an anti-drug plan known as the Merida Initiative.

More than 5,300 people were killed in drug-related violence in Mexico last year, and Mexican lawmakers have said the U.S. holds some responsibility for the bloodshed because demand for narcotics has made the cartels powerful.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 01:12 pm
if pot were legal i'd start smoking some again...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 01:52 pm
@Advocate,
I agree with everything you've said, Advocate, with the exception of this one sentence:

Quote:
Meanwhile, drugs grow ever cheaper and more potent.

Marijuana, at least, certainly isn't getting cheaper. (Probably cocaine either.) Prices on weed have absolutely sky-rocketed since the dear old days when I'd indulge an occasional toke. A nickel bag? Something smaller than what we used to get for five bucks now costs around $35 and up.
Advocate

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:13 pm
I just read that the Mexican drug war is spreading to the USA, with killings, increased distribution of drugs, etc. Moreover, this is found in all types of neighborhoods, and not just the slums.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:30 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

I agree with everything you've said, Advocate, with the exception of this one sentence:

Quote:
Meanwhile, drugs grow ever cheaper and more potent.

Marijuana, at least, certainly isn't getting cheaper. (Probably cocaine either.) Prices on weed have absolutely sky-rocketed since the dear old days when I'd indulge an occasional toke. A nickel bag? Something smaller than what we used to get for five bucks now costs around $35 and up.

Heh. Depends on your location. That certainly isn't the case in Cali.

It also depends on the quality of product. Most of the expensive stuff you see nowadays is much, much stronger than what you would have seen in earlier decades; think whiskey versus beer. Takes much less to get the job done.

Illegality keeps prices high. In the Bay Area, where pot clubs are legal and abundant, prices have dropped significantly - I pay a third less than I would for the same quality product back in Austin.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I pay a third less than I would for the same quality product back in Austin.

Well Cy, you can now kiss your chances to get on the 2012 Republican ticket as Sarah's vp bye bye.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:27 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
I pay a third less than I would for the same quality product back in Austin.

Well Cy, you can now kiss your chances to get on the 2012 Republican ticket as Sarah's vp bye bye.

Shite! I was planning on upstaging her and knocking her off the top of the ticket, the same way she tried to do to McCain.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies