Holder: U.S. a 'nation of cowards' on race discussions

revel

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 01:33 pm
The point is that without these laws in place with racism still in existence; those practices will happen much more frequently. People now know you can't deny people to live where they want or other such things based on race, religion or other such things because there are laws in place to prevent it or address it when it does happen.

For instance say there is a Muslim (as just an alternative example) who is racist against Christians and he is a doctor and refuses to treat Christians, the christian would be able to take the doctor to court for discrimination. If there were no laws in place there would be no way to address justice in these issues. (or turn it around the other way or substitute race or sexual orientation or whatever...)

If there is less acts of discrimination then that is a good thing, to keep it up, we have to stay diligent and keep the laws.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 01:39 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

50's 60's and 70's? That was 30 years ago,

GET OVER IT!

Well, I sort of thought that was my point. Did you read my post? Or are you being sarcastic here? Or agreeing? I can't tell for sure.

Nobody should suffer illegal discrimination for any reason, including race, but it is our incessant obsession with race that I think perpetuates the very racism that is claimed to be rampant.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 02:47 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo,
Speaking of Travis the chimp...here's a little humorous rift, and probably earning Mr. Treacher a spot on Rev. Sharpton's list...

Top 10 Reasons President Barack H. Obama Is Nothing Like Travis the Chimp
10. Travis understood TurboTax
9. Obama somewhat less likely to attack Biden
8. Travis never lied
7. Obama's smile not quite as genuine
6. Travis could get through entire day without teleprompter
5. Obama takes more long-term approach to destroying people's lives
4. Might actually be possible to get copies of Travis's medical records
3. Obama much better at taking orders from trainer, David Axelrod
2. Travis really didn't befriend William Ayers
1. Obama only talks your ear off

Source: Jim Treacher's Blog
Advocate

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:08 pm
@slkshock7,
Shame on you for pasting that vicious blog. It is wrong, stupid, racist, and unfunny (unless one is a racist).

This thread is showing who is a racist in this forum.
slkshock7

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:58 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate,
Yes....I feel so ashamed....please forgive me. It's not my fault, I'm a white Republican so racist by definition.....
A Lone Voice

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:46 pm
As a conservative who leans libertarian, I was actually encouraged by Holder's remarks.

One part that stood out - for me, at least - was his pointing out the importance of honest dialogue:

"If we're going to ever make progress, we're going to have to have the guts, we have to have the determination, to be honest with each other. It also means we have to be able to accept criticism where that is justified."

As a white dude, I'm not allowed to talk about race. I'm not racist. But if I were to post an observation here, a criticism, a possible solution to issues I've experienced, I might very well be branded a racist by an oversensitive, easily offended, politically correct group of people who thrive on this stuff. And I’m not talking about minorities; I’m referring to ‘progressives’ who revel in other’s victimhood.

One of my friends I used to work with resented Affirmative Action, for example, because although it didn't directly benefit him (he's black) in his particular circumstances, people who did not know him - or our organization - automatically thought his promotion was due to AA.

Ironically enough, it was the 'progressive' types who bugged him the most, with comments about how glad they were/how hard they worked/ to make sure the "playing field was level" so he could have "opportunities."

Well intentioned, but clueless, I guess.

So good for Holder, raising this issue. Being a white conservative does not automatically make one racist, contrary to how 'progressives' or the media would like to stereotype us.

There is still racism in this country, but there are solutions. And pandering does not do anybody any good at all...
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 06:03 pm
@slkshock7,
I understand. You are a proud racist.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 02:52 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Shame on you for pasting that vicious blog.
It is wrong, stupid, racist, and unfunny (unless one is a racist).

This thread is showing who is a racist in this forum.

I am standing up in defense of any person 's right
to prefer ANYTHING of his choice, including any race,
or whatever else he feels like preferring, whenever he FEELS LIKE IT
whether Advocate advocates it, or NOT. People who oppose that
might be happier in Cuba or in North Korea; see your travel agent.

EVERYONE HAS THE MORAL AND CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT
TO BELIEVE WHATEVER HE CHOOSES TO BELIEVE
and he has the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO
EXPRESS HIS OPINION about ANYTHING,
and if that is racism, then let us make the most of it.

I will fight against the politically correct people with my last breath.

David
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:26 am
@Advocate,
You are a ******* hypocrite.

You want an open and honest debate? You liberals have NEVER EVER wanted an honest debate about race as the reality will show your position to be one of dish9onesty and hypocrisy.

How many times did you laugh at a Letterman top 10 that poked fun at Bush?

Yet, you call this "blog" racist?

You have no idea of the meaning of the word and more than likely, never had to live the life of a minority.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:27 am
@revel,
Muslin/Christian are races??????

See, you all do not even know the ******* meaning of the idea you try to debate. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 08:58 am
And here's the latest raging on racism in fox news, republican leadership,etc., from the liberal blogs...went on all day yesterday. Too bad it was fake...Huff Po is apologizing this morning.

source

I'm convinced that the liberal left is the side that will most benefit from such a frank discussion. For one thing, they are clearly convinced that every Republican is racist...hence the over-reaction to every minor slight, complete misreading of innocent comments and routine snookering of the liberal media to fakes. An open and frank discussion should serve to dispel misconceptions on both sides, but liberals have the most to gain, by ratcheting down the rampant victimization attitude of the left.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 01:34 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

And here's the latest raging on racism in fox news, republican leadership,etc., from the liberal blogs...went on all day yesterday. Too bad it was fake...Huff Po is apologizing this morning.

source

I'm convinced that the liberal left is the side that will most benefit from such a frank discussion. For one thing, they are clearly convinced that every Republican is racist...hence the over-reaction to every minor slight, complete misreading of innocent comments and routine snookering of the liberal media to fakes. An open and frank discussion should serve to dispel misconceptions on both sides, but liberals have the most to gain, by ratcheting down the rampant victimization attitude of the left.

If Biden had run for president,
I 'd prefer Condi Rice or Alan Keyes over him.

David
0 Replies