Death!

colorbook

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 11:57 pm
I can foresee myself alive and well in the next 35 years or so, and try not to think of my death very often at all. But when it does come, I would prefer it happening in my sleep.
Chumly

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 12:05 am
@colorbook,
My father died peacefully in his sleep, in bed, at home with his wife by his side.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:32 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Dust I says.
Dust is the word.
The more complex elements are the product of dead stars.

I was just quoting mr. sagen.

I think that has a nice ring to it.

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:46 am
I have no expectations of an afterlife. As far as I am concerned, when I die, it will be the same to me as before I was born. Zip, nada, nothingness. Now that isn't so scary, is it?

I am not afraid of dying, but I am not too pleased with the idea of a protracted death scene. Interestingly enough, just last week I went to a lecture about euthanasia. At the lecture, I picked up a copy of the newest edition of Derek Humphrey's book, "Final Exit". I already owned his first edition. There has leen a lot of new thinking as to how one can do oneself in in an efficient, expeditious, and not terribly traumatic matter, using items that can be purchased legally.

I love life, and that is why I would not want to live if my quality of life ever reached a point that was untenable to me.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:06 am
On or about the last day of the month, I make a point of preparing for death. I
spend some time seriously thinking about it, looking it straight in the eye, so to
speak. It can sometimes be difficult to confront myself with the stark reality
that death is coming, the final checkbox on my agenda. But I do it.

I pick one aspect of my life and put it in the shape I would like it to be found
after my death. Last month it was part of my workbench. Yes, only part; my
workbench is a mess. I also find something that's been hanging around that is
superfluous. I give it away if it can be of use to someone else, throw it away if
it cannot.

At the end of the day, I treat myself to a nice dessert or drink to celebrate my
still being here. Last month it was cognac.

Here's to a happy death!
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:20 pm
@George,
I like that, George. From time to time it's good to "look it straight in the eye."
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:38 pm
@chai2,
We could give it the tempestuous name of "Cosmological Super Novae Dust Bunnies"
0 Replies

Starchild

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:09 pm
To look at the other option which I think is not possible that "I" would continue after the death. People who believe that think they will survive forever but have they even think it trought? I wouldn´t like to exist forever, that is time scale not possible to imagine. I think it would be more scary option to just be to the end of time (btw. in wich dimension?). I dont understand the people trying to look younger or trying to find " the fountain of youth". I think it is more beautuful to age with dignity and give room for the next generation.
0 Replies