Obama echoes Bush: CIA abductees can’t sue

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 03:51 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Part of war is bombing the enemy.

Before you can invoke the law of war, there must first be a war. America is not at war with Yemen. Therefore, if America has reason to believe there are AlQueda groups plotting attacks in Yemen, it can present its case in a Yemeni court. Then it can let Yemeni authorities take it from there. You might not like the idea that there are places in the world that Americas are not in charge of. But that's just too bad. The world has not elected America to be its vigilante committee.
roger

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 05:35 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Speaking of bombing the enemy (or in this case, mistakenly hitting civilians), does A2K have a thread yet about the video clips where the helicopters open up on the Reuters reporter with 30MM machineguns? I imagine there should be one, even though it was a terrible mistake.

There is one, but I see you have already found it.
http://able2know.org/topic/143535-1

Speaking of lesser mistakes a 30mm machinegun would be a big one. I mean, really big.
oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 07:54 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
So, how many people are appointed POWs by the president?

About 100 I'd guess.

roger wrote:
Aren't POWs members of enemy armies captured during a war?

Yes. We are at war with al-Qa'ida.

roger wrote:
Why do I get the feeling this has been discussed to no effect several times in the past?

Because you have a good memory. Wink
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 08:03 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Part of war is bombing the enemy.

Before you can invoke the law of war, there must first be a war. America is not at war with Yemen.

America is at war with al-Qa'ida.

Thomas wrote:
Therefore, if America has reason to believe there are AlQueda groups plotting attacks in Yemen, it can present its case in a Yemeni court. Then it can let Yemeni authorities take it from there.

Brining charges in court is no way to fight a war (unless you wish to lose).

That is why Yemen prefers to instead send their soldiers to fight the enemy, and have graciously accepted our offer to help them fight.

Thomas wrote:
You might not like the idea that there are places in the world that Americas are not in charge of. But that's just too bad. The world has not elected America to be its vigilante committee.

America does not need anyone's permission to bomb suspected terrorists.
oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 08:06 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
There is one, but I see you have already found it.
http://able2know.org/topic/143535-1

Yes. I almost didn't find it though. This "tag" system is more trouble than it's worth.
roger

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 01:21 pm
@oralloy,
Yeah, tags are fine if you know you are going to want to find something in the future. I think I tracked that one down by using the google search block. It's not bad if you can come up with the right keyword.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 02:56 pm
@oralloy,

Quote:

What asinine nonsense.
oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 09:59 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Oralloy wrote:

What asinine nonsense.

Not surprising that a monster like you would find reality to be asinine nonsense.

But the reality is, the White House can order the Pentagon to blow something up, anywhere on the planet, and they will go blow it up. They will not stop to ask ANY foreign governments or organizations for their permission first.
old europe

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 10:29 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
But the reality is, the White House can order the Pentagon to blow something up, anywhere on the planet, and they will go blow it up. They will not stop to ask ANY foreign governments or organizations for their permission first.

I doubt that McTag meant that America lacks the military power to do whatever it wanted. He's probably just not agreeing with your Social Darwinism.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 02:05 am
@oralloy,

Quote:

You really don't understand anything about anything, do you.
oralloy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 07:58 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Oralloy wrote:

You really don't understand anything about anything, do you.

I understand that you are a monster.

I understand that the US is free to bomb suspected terrorists anywhere on the planet.

That's more than enough understanding for the purposes of this thread.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:41 pm
A new New York Times Op-Ed counts the ways Obama echoes Bush in the area of transparancy.

In the New York Times, Geoffrey R. Stone wrote:
In what seems to be a recurring theme, Senator Obama supported the Free Flow of Information Act, but President Obama does not. In 2007, he was one of the sponsors of the original Senate bill, but in 2009 he objected to the scope of the privilege envisioned by the bill and requested that the Senate revise the bill to require judges to defer to executive branch judgments. Although the bill passed in the House in the last Congressional session, it stalled in the Senate and now has to be reintroduced.

The record of the Obama administration on this fundamental issue of American democracy has surely fallen short of expectations. This is a lesson in “trust us.” Those in power are always certain that they themselves will act reasonably, and they resist limits on their own discretion. The problem is, “trust us” is no way to run a self-governing society.

Source

I have long given up on being surprised about this stuff. But it's still frustrating.
dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:53 pm
@Thomas,
Yes.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:56 pm
@Thomas,
So, what's your opinion, did Obama deceive us to get elected, change his mind, or revise his outlook based on new information?
Thomas

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 06:22 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
So, what's your opinion, did Obama deceive us to get elected, change his mind, or revise his outlook based on new information?

As Lord Acton used to say, "power corrupts". I think that Obama got corrupted by his power. Also, he was never the type to take a stand on principle in the first place, emphasizing his "pragmatism" instead. Pragmatism has its place, but it tends to weaken your defences against the temptations of power. Transparency and limits on power are unpractical for you if you're the one whose power gets limited and whose record gets scrutinized.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 07:42 am
@roger,
Quote:

For me, this part of the Obama Administration has been the most puzzling and the most depressing and the most disillusioning (not necessarily in that order.)

I think Thomas got it right in that Obama seems more interested in pragmatism than in sticking to ideals.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 08:02 am
So far, Obama echoes Bush in all the right ways.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 08:14 pm
Leon Panetta, Obama's Pentagon chief, is now echoing the Bush administration's lie that America invaded Iraq because of 9/11.

The Washington Post wrote:
[Panetta's] comments Monday about al-Qaeda and the Iraq war raised eyebrows.

“The reason you guys are here is because on 9/11 the United States got attacked,” he told troops at Camp Victory, the largest U.S. military outpost in Baghdad. “And 3,000 Americans — 3,000 not just Americans, 3,000 human beings, innocent human beings — got killed because of al-Qaeda. And we’ve been fighting as a result of that.”

Source: Washington Post
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 08:17 pm
@Thomas,
Chihuahua.

Well, that is an expletive of my teenhood. Still seems ok.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 08:20 pm
@ossobuco,
I agree with Revelette.
0 Replies