Westminster, 2009

glitterbag

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 07:51 pm
@jespah,
I'm glad you revived this thread. Tomorrow the vizslas and springers will be in the ring. I'm partial to those breeds, have owned a bunch of 'em, actually they owned us.
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 08:51 pm
@glitterbag,
HERDING DOGS are on next. These are the Brain Trust of the Genus
glitterbag

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 09:16 pm
@farmerman,
I'm looking at the Australian Shepherd..oops, now it's bearded collie. they are both beautiful.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 12:13 am
My cable provider isn't showing the dog show this year.

I'm bereft. I'm upset. I'm ******* pissed off.

Dogless in the Big Apple.

Enjoy, you guys.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 07:08 am
Looks like there are some upsets this year:

9:52 p.m.

Add a schipperke to the list of dogs who might become the first of their breed to the win the Westminster dog show.

Colton the schipperke won the nonsporting group at Madison Square Garden and advanced to the final ring of seven Tuesday night.

Earlier in the evening, a longhaired dachshund and Havanese took their groups. They haven’t been chosen as America’s top dog, either.

It is funny - friends of mine posted the dachshund on FB as they own this breed and I go to look this morning and I see my favorite the schip!

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5c629141/turbine/bs-1549963582-ju7o7o0pp3-snap-image/750/750x422
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 09:25 pm
Ripoff ... put on the show to see best if show and shocker only 6 dogs mentioned to be competing for best of show. The Schip was not due to something about ownership.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 10:50 pm
@Linkat,
They said the skip was ineligible? What happened????
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 11:39 pm
@glitterbag,
so who won. i lose interest after the new herding dog group.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 11:43 pm
what mostly pisses me off is that the AKC is conformity centered.
Field dog trialsare performance oriented, and Stock Dog Associations used to ignore the AKC (thats why the Border collies are relatively new)
Youl prolly never see catahoula because of several subcatagories in the LSDA.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:00 am
@farmerman,
I recorded the Westminster, so I haven't yet scrolled to the 'best of show'.....I did see a Kuvatz....I don't remember if a Catahoula was competing.

I'm watching previously recorded news, so I'll check back in a few......I know some people love Pekinese, but I think I'll throw up if another Peke walks away with 'best of show".......I just don't know why anyone would force a dog to grow so much hair.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:20 am
There seems to be a ton of new breeds in this years show. A wire haired Vizsla competed this year....I missed last years show, don't know if this is the first time or not.
roger

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:32 am
@farmerman,
I remember from years ago that a border collie association refused to join AKC because they thought that conformity judging would weaken the breed's strong points. I hope they were wrong.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 05:15 am
@glitterbag,
Found out one of the owners was distantly related to the judge.

Wouldn’t they know about that ahead of time?
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 05:21 am
@glitterbag,
Vizslas are just a tan Weimeraner no? Werent they just named as a separate breed in the 70's. My dad;s neighbor raised Wemeraners ND SHE had Viszlas. Course, as I recall, the damn Weimeraners were always wound up and kinda mean if you interrupt them while their working. Vszlas seemed more layed back.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 05:23 am
@Linkat,
Clarification distant working relationship
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 09:48 am
So a wire-haired fox terrier won. Reminds me of Asta, one of my favorite dog actors.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 10:19 am
@Roberta,
boring - terriers win frequently
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 02:46 pm
@farmerman,
Vizslas were only owned by Hungarian noblemen back when that sort of stuff was normal. They were almost extinct by the end of Second World War, and as Hungarians fled to different places in Europe the dogs became noticed outside of Hungary. An American soldier stationed in Italy send a dam and two pups back to the States (Kansas I think) and then a few more dogs were sent to the US...this was sometime in the early 50’s. The Communist regime in Hungary discouraged breeding especially dogs associated with ‘aristocracy’...I’m pretty sure most of Eastern Europe suspended breeding programs....but today’s Hungary has embraced and promoted the breed. AND they are not tan, they are red.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 03:13 pm
@farmerman,
The border collie did win for the agility competition
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 04:45 pm
@Linkat,
They ought to give em all an IQ test. I can predict that the Border Collie would win and then get bored and start making fun of the Irish Setters who would probably come in dead last