Westminster, 2009

Roberta

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 04:49 pm
I saw Hickory on the Today Show this morning. I was very disappointed. The dawg showed almost no personality. A gorgeous creature for sure.
Ceili

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 05:20 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region, may I ask what the dog in your picture is? He looks like my pups, Redbone Coonhounds.
Roberta

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 05:46 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

they added some new breeds this year.
we saw the leonburger... what else?

In addition to the leonburger, there's the boykin spaniel, bluetick coonhound, redbone coonhound, cane corso, and Icelandic sheepdog.

Here's a link that shows pics:

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2011/show/news/newbreed_080410.html
Irishk

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:44 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
In addition to the leonburger, there's the boykin spaniel,

Our Jack is a Boykin. He doesn't do well with loud noises...he'd make a terrible hunting dog, but this...
Quote:
....they steal hearts as gentle, affectionate and fiercely loyal members of the family. They are truly companions for all seasons.

is spot on.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:44 pm
@Ceili,

it's a Rhodesian Ridgeback, one of the breeds we'd like to own... someday...

R(and a Bahstin Terrier)P
Irishk

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:46 pm
These are verra cool looking dogs...
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01826/westminster-puli_1826462i.jpg
Bear, a seven-year-old Puli, waits backstage after competing in the 135th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show at Madison Square Garden in New York
Picture: AP
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01827/westminster-komond_1827331i.jpg
A Komondor competes in the ring during the 135th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show at Madison Square Garden in New York
Picture: AFP/GETTY

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:57 pm
@Irishk,
Back a long time ago, a college friend had two pulis (pulies?) in her small cottage. (Oh, yeah, they got walkies.) She's still a friend, major dog and cat rescuer.
They snarled at me when I entered her house. Ordinarily, dogs haven't snarled at me, except the few - sometimes cautious, sometimes scampering up, so those two were memorable.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:17 pm
@Region Philbis,
I hope you get him soon too. Thanks. He's lovely.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 09:42 am
@Roberta,
Well if its personality you want, then my dog's breed - which never wins even in its category (nonsporting) - would be a favorite of yours (if you like comedy that is).

Here is some ways his personality is described: Curious and clever, the Schipperke is often nicknamed LBD, for little black devil. He's fearless and devoted, always on guard to protect his family from harm. His small size and easy-care coat are attractive qualities, but his intelligence and curiosity can lead him into trouble.

My little one keeps us laughing with his antics. The are extremely intelligent and very clever - which as it says gets him into trouble. \

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 09:58 am
@Linkat,
My catahoula and Border collie are bioth smart breed dogs and they are constantly testing "the bosses bounds". Theyve learned all the tricks that annoy me and use em to make points and get outside to work the sheep. (Thats like playing baseball to them).

My partner has 3 jack russells who, after he spent almost 5ooo$ to set up a silent electric training fence over his 5 to 10 acres (not sure how much he fenced underground. The dogs, after wearing the collars for a few days, discovered that if they got close enough to the buried fence , close enough to set off the buzz but not close enough to shock, they could run their little neck collars down and then they just skipped over the fence.

My partner then got one of the newer ones that shock and buzz at the same time (no training warnng). His dogs learned how to tear out each others batteries. The dogs have figgered out the fence like a pack of hyenas.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:00 am
@Irishk,
We have a friend that has a working Komondoor and this dog is a real pig. the "dreds" get all muddy and crappy from being with the sheep. He has to get hosed down and washed severely if company comes.Otherwise youd puke at how crummy the dog looks. That "look" takes hours and hours of dred maintenance and careful cleaning.
You can have em.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 01:18 pm
@farmerman,
Love those sorts of dogs - you hate them and love them at the same time with their antics.

There are always warnings about my breed of dog that you cannot leave them alone even in a fenced in area as they are escape artists. Even more worrisome is their speed. They are so quick and stubborn. If they see something to chase they are off and no way in heck ya gonna catch them.

The really odd thing I find of my dog - he may be protective of his bones/food around the kids, but he allows the cats to eat out of his dish. He will sit down and watch the cat eat his food and not so much as say a peep or do anything.
Ragman

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:01 pm
@Linkat,
Are you describing Border Collies (my avatar)? If not, it sure fits them to a T.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:13 pm
@Linkat,
a tired Border Collie is a happy Border Collie. They will work all day in the hot sun, jump into a tub of water, and be ready for more. My catahoula is more agrresive and when hes not getting his way with the sheep, he will nip them. Whereas the Border Collie will just run em down and harrass them till thye submit by their "eye"

Whenever I take STasha to the feed mill (I cannot keep her out of the back of the truck when she sees us get in), she will run a few feet in front of me, quickly turn around and slink down wiatching every move I make, just waiting for me to say "go get em" or "come by". AShe will keep this up for every step I take and people ask whether theres something wrong with her . A border Collie is a "News Junkie" they need input and expression.
Ceili

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:25 pm
I watched border collies in field after field in Ireland, herding sheep with not a soul in sight. Amazing creatues!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:30 pm
Yes, I like some personality. I'm familiar with all the breeds mentioned here. I wouldn't have most of them in the city. Border collies--scary smart and ACTIVE. Glad, fm, that yours gets to live in the big outdoors doing what they love, herding sheep.

Dogs I've gotten to know in my family: cocker spaniels, spitzes, malamutes, golden retrievers, great danes, boxers, german shepherds, and, my favorite, mutts.

Love dem dawgs. Thanks for telling about yours. I smiled the whole way through, especially the Jack Russells. A fence. Hah!

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:34 pm
@Ragman,
Schipperkes. I do like border collies and I'd find it really fun when they would try to heard the kids.

Nope Schips don't heard, but they are very comical. They are smaller more compact dogs which makes them ideal for traveling around with - and as long as you train them well and social them, they love traveling around with you - we took him cross country in a plane in a doggie carrier under the seat in front of us.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:35 pm
@farmerman,
The other thing for us anyone that is useful for our dog over a border - is being so small-we easily exercise him in the house. Just toss the ball/toy whatever. Because like a border, they love to run.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:36 pm
@Roberta,
Although a schip or jack russell as they are small - they don't need as much room to run. But if you live above someone that could be a problem.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 07:24 pm
10 years later! Westminster 2019!

And this dog - the Finnish Lapphund - is shown by the daughter of a guy I went to High School with. Her name is Keira Karlin and the dog's call name is Dusky. They're in the Herding Group.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/51929244_10214736215854330_1527552092879716352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=9267cfc8a70bab6b2633b20689ff5796&oe=5CF3B6AC