Westminster 2003 - American Kennel Club (AKC) Dog Show

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 06:42 pm
Are you a fan? My husband and I have to watch Westminster every year! We tend to root for breeds that are often, for lack of a better term, underdogs. Boston terriers, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Greyhounds, Beagles, Pugs, Mastiffs, Rottweilers and Boxers tend to be our favorites.

Do you have a favorite breed that you cheer for? Or a particular dog? This year, the favorite is Ch. Scarf Michael (his call name is Mick), a Kerry Blue Terrier. Will he do it? Stay tuned, tonight and tomorrow night, on USA Network.

PS If you have a pet (even if s/he isn't a dog), does your pet watch with you? Do they react to what's going on, on TV?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,166 • Replies: 31
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 06:50 pm
Yes I am I watch every year. Generally I make my pick from the working dogs they are so beautiful (don't tell Bean). But I love them all.

That itty bitty dog that one a couple of years ago that fit in the winners trophy was to much. Bean, my dog doesn't seem notice anything but Carlotta the cat well she is beyond herself during the show.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 06:55 pm
I love Westminster. One year i even 'dressed' to watch it!
I tend to go for the smaller working dogs - but i like all of them - even some of the foofier ones - those dogs are all working when they're out there. I know that when i've been practicing with Bailey at the beginner agility level that we are both exhausted after a practice session - performing is exhilerating but even more exhausting. Garsh, i love those dogggggggggs.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:02 pm
I watch whenever I can, and am watching now as a matter of fact Smile
I was very very happy to see the Newfoundland win tonight. Love the sporting and working dogs the most.
Cleo watched with me tonight but, shes not all that interested in dogs I think, she fell sound asleep.
One of my pet peeves is the poodles, for some reason I just cant get past the hair cuts and think they look ridiculous. Just me I guess cuz they keep winning.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:12 pm
Did you see the Min Pin in the toy group. I wonder if Matrix 500 was watching. I did hope for him to win but did not think he would. Maybe next year.

Same her quinn both Carlotta and Bean napped through the whole thing (Carlotta on just dried laundry). Tomorrw night will be fun. The sporting dogs they are so beautiful.

What did you guys think of that St. Bernard what a huggy pooh he was. And I like the Great Dane too, always like a doge that looks me right in the eyes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 01:22 am
I won't see it until tomorrow night. I love it but I can't get extra cable all year to watch the one show. Tomorrow! Corgis rule!!!!!
Or perhaps not.

I love every minute of it. Every minute. Even the poodles, which of course are ridiculous, but I am edging toward beginning to like them. They can't help it and they are very smart and mean well. I like some kind of pharouh hound and irish wolfhounds and irish setters and certainly corgis and those floor mop dogs with the totally wringletted hair, and dachsunds and well, I like them all. And their handlers, the handlers are another whole show.

You HAVE all seen "Best in Show", haven't you?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 10:08 am
I've been meaning to see the film "Best in Show" but somehow I never seem to get around to it. I know, I know.

Well, the results are in from last night and, as expected, Ch. Torums Scarf Michael the Kerry Blue terrier won the Terrier Group.

The Newfoundland (a large, fluffy black drool machine but verra cute in my estimation) won the Working Group. His name is Ch. Darbydale's All Rise Pouchcove and his call name is Josh.

The winner of the Toy Group was the Pekingese who goes by the call name of Les. His full name is Ch. Yakee Leaving Me BreathlessAtFranShaw.

Yet another Poodle (Standard size) won the Nonsporting Group; he also goes by the call name of Mick, but his full name is Ch. Ale Kai Mikimoto on Fifth. I agree about the poodle 'do's - makes 'em look a little too froofy, and they're supposed to be working, swimming dogs. In Dog Fancy they once showed a poodle with a corded hairdo (like the Komondor and the Puli) and I think that looked a little more dignified. Ah, well.

Tonight - Hounds, Sporting, Herding and Best in Show! :-D

PS Here's an article on David Frei: http://www.usanetwork.com/sports/wm2000/frei.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 09:21 pm
Going over to a friend's to watch in a few minutes. Can hardly wait. Talk later.
Osso
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 09:25 pm
Been watching between..waiting for best of show Smile

Love that the German Shephard is in there--"Dallas"- Herding Group...just lovely...hes quite a looker!

Sporting Group-Brittany
Hound Group-Ibizhan Hound
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 06:14 am
ohhhhhh
it was sooooooooo good
my dogs slept through it
and i snoozed through a tiny bit of the hounds but woke up again and it was soooooooooooo good
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 10:55 am
Well, as expected, the big winner was the Kerry Blue Terrier. I dunno, I didn't see anything different about him from last year, but then again I'm not a judge.

Loved Dallas the German Shepherd. I'm sure we'll see him again. And that pretty Ibizian Hound! The first of her breed to ever win her group! Excellent! I hope we see more of her; I just loved her satellite dish ears with pink and just a little bit of white, and her thin, curly white tail. Oh, and Jester the Brittany! I think they'll finally retire him for good this year; he's a little white in the muzzle, but still a great competitor. We were rooting for any of those three, or the Newfie, but such was not to be.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 10:58 am
Best in Show, the Kerry Blue Terrier:

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breeds/wm03/bis/images/RM31657101.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 11:00 am
The Herding Group Winner (German Shepherd):

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breeds/wm03/group/images/DL64767204.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 11:02 am
The Hound Group Winner (Ibizan Hound):

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breeds/wm03/group/images/HM82762201.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 11:06 am
The Sporting Group Winner (Brittany):

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breeds/wm03/group/images/SN25554101.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 11:07 am
The Non-Sporting Group Winner (Standard Poodle):

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breeds/wm03/group/images/PP53307701.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 11:09 am
The Toy Group Winner (Pekingese):

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breeds/wm03/group/images/TP27801001.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 11:11 am
The Working Group Winner (Newfoundland):

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breeds/wm03/group/images/WP92125505.jpg

For more information, see: www.westminsterkennelclub.org
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 11:24 am
Great review Jes, I wanted them all to win but that Dallas is a handsome guy. Before I had Bean I had a Black Lab, Dorothy so I especially loved the snap shot of the training of the labs especially when five of those guys ran after and grabbed one frizbee and brought it back in unison to their trainers. So like labs they are happy dogs and a joy to own.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 12:36 pm
Well, I nearly died of repeat commercials, no wonder I have almost totally stopped watching tv. But, loved the dog show. I am cool to the winner, who is no doubt a swell dog. Also loved Dallas. Wanted the Ibizan Hound to win. I find it hard to root for pomeranians, hmm, can't see if their posture is noble in standing still, ha.

In the herding judjing, didja see the corgi, didja see the corgi, the pembroke I mean. Looks rather like Pacco, except that Pacco has a longer nose, and is generally bigger. Same personality apparent though, even though Pacco is more darling.
0 Replies