Damage Control... A-Roid Comes Clean!

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 05:10 pm
Rodriguez admits to using steroids

NEW YORK (SI.com) -- Alex Rodriguez has admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs from 2001-2003, ESPN is reporting.

Those were the first three seasons of Rodriguez's then-record 10-year, $252 million contract with the Texas Rangers. Rodriguez won his first AL MVP award in '03, his last year with the Rangers, before being traded to the Yankees prior to the start of the 2004 season.

On Saturday, Sports Illustrated broke the news that Rodriguez had tested positive for two anabolic steroids in 2003. When reached for comment at a Miami gym last Thursday, Rodriguez told an SI reporter "You'll have to talk to the union" and "I'm not saying anything."

During the interview with ESPN's Peter Gammons, Rodriguez said, "When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure, felt all the weight of the world on top of me to perform and perform at a high level every day. Back then, it was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young, I was stupid, I was naive and I wanted to prove to everyone that I was worth, you know, being one of the greatest players of all time. And I did take a banned substance. For that, I'm very sorry and deeply regretful. And although it was the culture back then in major league baseball overall ... it was very ... I just feel that ... I'm just sorry. I'm sorry for that time, I'm sorry to my fans, I'm sorry to my fans in Texas. It wasn't until then that I thought about substance of any kind, and since then I've proved to myself and to everyone that I don't need any of that."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/02/09/arod.admits/index.html?eref=T1

djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 05:15 pm
hard to believe he stopped using when he said, i mean let's face it, he lied already

that being said, he's not a monster either, so i'd suspect his use was limited

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 06:54 pm
Unfortunately, the fact that he wins games for the team will be enough for fans and officials to forgive him quite swiftly. Maybe I shouldn't say 'unfortunately.' The pressure to shine must be tremendous.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 06:57 pm
a rods problem is he sucks in post play, he racks up great stats during the year and shuts down post season, i think the yankee's like him, but a lot of fans are less than impressed
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 08:46 pm
@djjd62,
Him not being a monster doesn't mean anything. That's where the public doesn't really quite know just how rampant steroid use was/is in baseball, and other sports as well. There's a whole spectrum of different drugs that are steroids, some pack on the weight fast, some don't add any bulk at all. Baseball players(if they're at all smart about it), aren't looking to throw on a ton of weight overnight, the priority want to build and maintain some strength through a long season. Guy like Bonds is just a bonehead.

I don't care one way or the other who juices in baseball, but I love that the media will be all over this guy. He's such a purple-lipped, hair dying little bitch. That being said, there's another 100 guys who's names aren't released yet.

0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 08:54 pm
Sometimes I love the New York Post. They're so subtle.

http://coverawards.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/arodaroidalexrodriguezcoverawardsmarkpasetskysteroidscandalcoverawardsmarkpasetsky.jpg
Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 09:43 pm
Sweet headline.

Just watching the interview. Why wouldn't he just say "I'm not releasing where I got it from," or "what I took doesn't matter, I'm sorry." So sick of hearing these idiots say they don't know what drugs they took, and talk circles around themselves.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 09:55 pm
A-Roid! So much better than A-Fraud. (And, again, so subtle.)

What surprises me is that anyone who pays attention is surprised.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 05:49 am
@patiodog,

he was supposed to be the Clean Marine, the guy who would restore order to the homer record that bonds tarnished.

as is the yankee way (giambi, pettitte), A-roid fessed up right quick... although the juice apparently affected his memory cells a bit.

he doesn't remember what he took, he just knows it was wrong.
but everybody was doing it back then, and he was just a dumb, naive 27 year old.
now, at 33, he sees the error of his ways.

they might as well get it over with, publish the other 103 names.
the results were supposed to have been destroyed in '03, but they decided not to when the feds got involved.

by admitting (sort of) what he did, he probably has a better chance of making the H0F than mcgwire, bonds, or clemens...
patiodog

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 08:07 am
@Region Philbis,
Just make a separate wing at the hall for the steroid era and be done with it.

Wondering, since the roids seem to disproportionately help power hitters, if pitchers from this time period shouldn't get a little more consideration (even if they were cheating) for the HoF. (Not really, but, you know, just for argument's sake.)
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:29 am
@Region Philbis,
Reege wrote:
but everybody was doing it back then, and he was just a dumb, naive 27 year old.
now, at 33, he sees the error of his ways.

This is the part that just kills me. Naive? C'mon!
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:07 pm

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5368/aasteriskdi6.jpg
jespah

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:42 pm
@Region Philbis,
Someone's gonna make a lotta money selling big nerf asterisks....
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:45 pm
a-roid and a-hole are gonna be popular chants in ballparks around the league this year
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 06:53 pm
@George,
Quote:
This is the part that just kills me. Naive? C'mon!

Yep. That made me chuckle in my beard. Only 27? Just a child, right?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 12:36 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
http://coverawards.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/arodaroidalexrodriguezcoverawardsmarkpasetskysteroidscandalcoverawardsmarkpasetsky.jpg
was this an actual Post cover, or just a spoof?
djjd62

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 01:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
they mentioned it being the cover on opie and anthony the other day
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 01:52 pm

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/wenn21753852__oPt.jpg
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 02:10 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Perhaps if he'd called it a youthful indiscretion?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 03:50 pm
@Region Philbis,
Supposed to be, but I'm not surprised - I used to call him A-Roid before it was confirmed. Come on, look at his build when he was in Seattle and then shortly afterwards.
0 Replies