Steps in becoming a Canadian weather reporter?

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 01:48 pm
I know for sure that I do not require a degree in meteorology, but I would like (and most likely need) to know some background of Canada. The university I am planning to go to offers a BA in Journalism, but they do not offer geography. Is it possible to take a minor in geography from another university? I know that you may not have the exact answer, but have you or known people to do that?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,542 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 06:55 pm
@Mohawk Journalism,
Repeat after me: "Ladies and gentlemen, it's looks like snow in the forecast."

You're golden. Now get paid!

T
K
O
ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 09:10 pm
@Mohawk Journalism,
Most major Canadian markets in fact do have meteorologists doing the weather reporting/forecasting. You may be able to become a weather reporter without a degree in meteorology in a small market, but you'd need a fairly strong science background to get out of the smaller markets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claire_Martin_(meteorologist)

Quote:
She moved to Canada in July 1990 hired as a support staff by Environment Canada's Meteorological Service of Canada (MSC) in 1990. Seeking improved career prospects at Environment Canada, she enrolled at the University of Alberta in Edmonton in 1993 to complete her Bachelors of Science with specialization in Meteorology, which she obtained in 1995. She worked on the "media bench" for Environment Canada's Northern Alberta Weather Centre.[2]

She moved to a job as a staff meteorologist and weather presenter with ITV (now Global Television Edmonton) in August 1996. In 2005, she moved from Edmonton to join CBC Television's news operations in Toronto. CBC introduced nationally-televised weather features at that time for its news programs The National and Canada Now. In 2007, she moved to CBC Vancouver to host regional weather forecasts.

http://www.yorku.ca/ylife/2005/08-11/Czernkovich.htm

Quote:
The Toronto-born science buff, who studied earth & atmospheric science at York before doing his master's degree at Montreal’s McGill University

http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~advancement/alumni/ramsahai.html

Quote:
After finishing her bachelor of science, Natasha applied to York University for graduate studies in atmospheric science.

"My time at UTSC did give me a great foundation to go on and do graduate work. I would have continued at UTSC at the graduate level if I could have,' Natasha says.

During her time as a graduate student, Natasha got interested in broadcasting as an intern at The Weather Network and says she enjoys working at the CBC.

“It’s great that there is now a meteorologist on Metro Morning. With many radio and television stations, there is often no meteorologist on air, it’s someone reading the weather reports,” she says. She says she feels it’s important to get more meteorologists on air to describe how and why we get the weather we do.

so, if you want to be a small-town wetather reader, you're ok

otherwise, it appears you need the science degree first

0 Replies

Mohawk Journalism

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 03:55 pm
@Diest TKO,
Ha, ha, touche!
0 Replies