Steele's Campaign Spending

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 10:04 am
The Washington Post
Steele's Campaign Spending Questioned

updated 4:34 a.m. CT, Sat., Feb. 7, 2009
WASHINGTON - Michael S. Steele, the newly elected chairman of the Republican National Committee, arranged for his 2006 Senate campaign to pay a defunct company run by his sister for services that were never performed, his finance chairman from that campaign has told federal prosecutors.

Federal agents in recent days contacted Steele's sister, a spokesman for Steele said yesterday.

The claim about the payment, one of several allegations by Alan B. Fabian, is outlined in a confidential court document. Fabian offered the information last March as he was seeking leniency for himself during plea negotiations on unrelated fraud charges. It is unclear how extensively his claims have been pursued. Prosecutors gave him no credit for cooperation when he was sentenced in October
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 561 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 10:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Steele's campaign spending has been questioned - by a convicted fraud who got no credit for cooperation from the police.

OK - so what?

Since you are not A2K's news ticker tape, I have to assume that there was a reason, other than civic duty, for you to share this story with us.

Is there a conclusion to be drawn from this article?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 10:41 pm
You aren't smart enough to figure it out?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 11:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Obviously not.

Please enlighten me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 06:54 pm
If they didn't have anything to go on, they wouldn't be running an investigation. Now we just have to watch and see how serious it all is.
JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 07:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Actually, George Stephanopoulos questioned Steele about this on ABC's "This Week" this morning. Steele not only expained but intimated that he had already turned over all receipts showing all that had happened and when to the Post, they still went with the story even though the FBI has not even contacted Steele let alone notified him of an impending investigation into his actions in this context.

Do not be surprised when the Post drops the story. Do be suprised if they apologize for printing a story about a convicted felon trying to decrease jail time by attempting to put Michael Steel in authorities' cross hairs (i.e. this is not a Daschle like "Gotcha" moment for the Post)

JM
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 08:53 pm
@JamesMorrison,
I would prefer that the story be false, because there are enough crooks out there already. Still, I think it bears watching for a while.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 10:41 pm
I find it interesting that only a couple days after Eric Holder is sworn in as AG, a court sealed file finds it way 'inadvertently' to the Washington Post...

Interesting that our 'news ticker' didn't include that part of the story.
0 Replies