Flight 1549 praise is being over done.

JTT

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:04 am
@Intrepid,
Because it is such an idiotic thing to engage in, Intrepid.
BillRM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:15 am
@JTT,
JTT it would seem that Intrepid does not normally add anything of value to a discusssion so why not just add him to your block list?

Just a suggestion.
JTT

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:24 am
@BillRM,
I think that blocking someone is chickenshit, Bill.
kickycan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:50 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Would this logic work if it were a cop who had decades on the force? If it were a veteran officer thrown suddenly into the middle of a hostage situation, and he "reacted well and up to the level of his decades of training [...] when his own life as well as the [hostages] was on the line," resulting in no casualties where there could have been many. Would he be considered a hero?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting question but I am not sure if I am understanding your question correctly.

The officer is lock into the hostage situation without warning and did not place himself into harm way to start with to rescue citizens?

Yes.

BillRM wrote:
No actions that he then took to save the situation and the hostages would increase the personal risk to himself then it would seem to be a one to one match.

Doesn't matter. Both the officer and the pilot are trying to save themselves and everyone in the situation.

So how is the officer different from the pilot now? Or is he not a hero either?

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:59 am
@BillRM,
Didn't he walk the plane twice to ensure everyone else was out - while the plane was sinking in freezing water?

Isn't that endanagering himself? He put the passenagers first.
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 11:03 am
@Intrepid,
And said woman was one of the severely injured. She also managed to convince this passenager to move to the front and tried to the best of her ability to shut the door as much as possible all while being injured.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:01 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Because it is such an idiotic thing to engage in, Intrepid.

...and you are used to engaging in idiotic things.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:02 pm
@Linkat,
You are correct on that. I had forgotten that part. Just as much a hero as anyone else in this situation.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:04 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

JTT it would seem that Intrepid does not normally add anything of value to a discusssion so why not just add him to your block list?

Just a suggestion.

You obviously missed several pages of your own thread. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean that they do not add anything.

Hey, what happened? Perfect English in this post.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:08 pm
@Intrepid,
You got caught doing something stupid and you were called on it. Now, it's over and done, Intrepid.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:30 pm
@Linkat,
The plane was floating at the time and in fact was it not afterward in fact tow to the shore and tie up so it would not float down the river?

In any case walking the plane seem an uncomfortable thing to do given the cold water but how great a risk seem to be a large question.

But then we do have a need for heroes no matter what.
BillRM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:35 pm
@kickycan,
A hero place himself or herself at risk for the benefit of others and without that element how is anyone a hero?

If no action of the cop place himself at greater personal risk for the benefit of the hostages then hell no he would not be a hero in my eyes.

How would he be a hero in such a situation?

A fire fighter going into a burning building to try ot save lives would be a hero a fire fighter who place water on a fire from a safe location outside is not one.

Both tasks are useful in order to save lives however in only one of them is the fire fighter risking his own life for others.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:48 pm
@JTT,
Why is blocking someone who seem to add nothing at all to a thread but random nosies chick ****?

Filtering our random noise on a commucation device so you do not need to take up time to find the information you are looking for under the nosie level seem to be just commonsense.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:55 pm
@BillRM,
Well according to the flight attendent that was injured in the back of the plane, the water was up to her neck when she left. Doesn't sound much like floating or a walk in the park to me.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:58 pm
@BillRM,
here is the interview with the flight attendant...
"...passenger had come back and pushed back me and opened the door, just enough that the water came flooding in. And I went back twice and tried to re-close it. It would only go so far. It wouldn't stop, and the water was just rising. You know, garbage cans were float[ing] coffee pots were floating like at this level. And things were flying. It was crazy back there," Welsh remembered.

The impact was so powerful it tore a hole under the airplane's tail. Doreen Welsh feared she and some of the passengers would not get out alive as water was pouring into the cabin. "
BillRM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 02:31 pm
@Linkat,
As neither of us was on that plane thank god I can not tell how likely it would had seem at the time that the plane would do a dive for the bottom when the command pilot did walk the plane two times. It did however needed to be tie up afterward so it would not float down the river

And the two inspections are the only acts the command pilot did take that would indicate that he may had place himself at added risk for his crew/passengers welfare and to me this seem a minor act under the set of conditions to declare him a great hero with a key to the city thrown in.

Reaching for reasons to so declare him a hero seem to be what you are doing here.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 03:36 pm
@BillRM,
Reaching for reasons to declare him a non-hero seems to be what YOU are doing here. You have done very little to support your claims.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 03:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
A dead stick landing at Laguardia might have been possible, however the down side to any misjudgement would likely have been a fatal crash into urban structures. The distance in the chart looks deceptively favorable to the Laguardia option. However it still would have required a 60 plus degree turn and possibly more to correctly line up with the runway. The effect of a turn on reducing the gliding distance is very strong -- a fairly standard disaster scenario in such cases is an unwise attempt to turn back to the point of departure. Moreover, the field landing would have required that the flaps and landing gear be lowered - both actions would have very substantially reduced the aircraft gliding distance - in addition to the turn - and it is not at all clear that the aircraft could have made it.

actually it looks more like 45 degrees, and he would have had a 13 knot tail wind to help get him there, and had he not lost 1200 feet just after the strike he would have had lots of alt/speed to play with. He is a glider pilot so a run way landing should have been relatively easy for him, and he had enough room to do s curves to get down to the correct momentum.

I am not an expert, which is why I say that this needs to be run through the simulator, but I would be shocked if a runway landing at LGA would have been a problem. It would have also been the better odds choice I think. Hopefully the report will get into the choices made, and whether the pilot made errors in judgement or actions. We just don't know.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, however, as you acknowledged you are not an expert. Indeed, if I am not mistaken you have never flown an aircraft at all and are not an aeronautical engineer- in short you lack even the most basic elements of proficiency and knowledge of the reality of the situation and the tradeoffs involved. It is at least interesting that none of the real aviation experts overseeing the investigation has raised a question about the suitability of the pilot's choices in this matter. Perhaps you should volunteer your services to them.

Lack of airspeed, altitude and energy was a far more limiting problem than an excess. I don't think the rather crude chart & track you linked permits the exactitude you claim for the turn required, and you appear to be overlooking the very real problem of lining up with the runway and the energy-consuming maneuvers it entails. Within limits, S turns & other techniques can indeed be used to bleed off excessive energy, however there is no remedy at all for a deficit of energy, and the turn back to the field would have quickly precluded any fallback option. A dead stick landing on a runway with a 13kt tailwind and a heavy aircraft with nearly the initial fuel load offers its own significant potential for a crash & fire - even if all the other, far greater, uncertainties are overcome. One of the long-standing bits of aviation folklore is the all-too-often fatal trap of misjudging the energy required for a turn back to the takeoff field after multiple engine failures.

Alternatively, the ditching in the Hudson was clearly possible with the available energy and the pilot had ample room to make a controlled smooth water landing. In addition this option completely eliminated the hazard to people in the buildings below.

Much has been made of the need to be wings level at the moment of impact. The only critical element here is avoiding an initial impact with a wing tip. Given the dihedral angle of the wings themselves that is relatively easy to achieve and well within the normal control limits for such maneuvers. The key part was flying the aircraft so that it touched the water in a nose high, wings level attitude with a minimum sink rate, at just above stall speed - all at the same moment. That was difficult. ( Difficult but not extraordinary, I hasten to add. However, the chips were really down and the stakes really high - and the pilot delivered when it counted.)
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 03:55 pm
@BillRM,
Here's a reminder of what Bill has said his philosophy is about heroes.

BillRM wrote wrote:
That adult human beings had a need for heroes is very foreign to myself but then so is the need for a personal god figure that a large percent of the population also seem to have a need for.

Further discussion with him about this is just going to go around in circles much like what happens in our threads about religion.

Even he says:

Quote:
"True it was indeed some skillful flying and a great deal of luck combine with an ideal ditching location. "

We're all saying pretty much the same thing. It is just a battle of semantics now. We use the short cut word "hero" and Bill prefers to say everything else except that word in describing the event. Trying to convince each other that this is or is not the making of a heroic feat or that the people accomplishing it are heroes is a futile attempt to change a person's core philosophy.

It ain't gonna happen.

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 04:03 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Reaching for reasons to declare him a non-hero seems to be what YOU are doing here. You have done very little to support your claims.

not to mention that for someone who thinks the pilot got too much attention he is outright obsessed with him...why talk about it non stop passionately if it's such a non-event and non-hero?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 10:01:27