Flight 1549 praise is being over done.

JTT

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 06:14 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Whether he knew he could do it or not has no bearing on whether he is a hero. The vast majority deems him a hero so why do some want to take that away.

That's the deciding factor, Intrepid, that the majority opinion is that he is a hero? Hey, how could anyone fault that kind of logic.

I would say that this can only be a matter of opinion and again I must say that the vociferousness of the "hero" crew was that approaching the demands for sides to be taken for or against terrorism.

And yes, there was lengthy discussion about who/how many could do this miraculous deed.
JTT

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 06:15 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
BTW....Your use of the words childish and crap are much overused in these threads.

Perhaps, it's not the words that are being overused.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 06:21 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
If Sully himself were asked, "Are you a hero?", what do you think he would say?

That's not the point though, is it. BillRM has a problem with other people using the word hero in reference to Captain Sullivan.

~~~

and if it were the point, who does i.d. themselves as a hero? seems to me (IMNSHO) that it would only be someone with some sort of personality disorder, or a cartoon character.

Hi, I'm Doug. I'm a hero.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 06:27 pm
What effect on your lives is there when people refer to Sully as a hero?

How would your life change if people were to stop referring to Sully as a hero?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 06:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
I've seen circular threads before, but this one takes the cake. A round cake, full of caramel and jagged nuts.

I keep meaning to flick it off my list but keep it on in case GeorgeOB or certain others post. It's also oddly musical: what does it remind me of? Bolero? No, it doesn't build like that. Well, some of the more musically inclined may have ideas.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 06:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Got it! Stuck needle on an old phonograph record..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 07:20 pm
@JTT,
I never react re the majority swaying me pro or con - or if I do, I have another personal keel built over years.

I'm not privy to all the tv hoopla - and so might have passingly wondered the same thing as billrm if I had seen it in all its 'spread it thick with icky voices' glory.

But I didn't have to watch the programmed voices, except in video exerpts. (I say that as friend of two sometime anchors, who are quite normal in real life. They don't talk like that over lunch with long time friends - or not exactly like that cootie stuff at news hour, though I can read them in their readings, or could. as they're both retired.)

On Sully -
the man had a lot of expertise (see one of Butryflynet's links, which I read (or a similar one) early on, re his life outside of just flying the planes.

On me -
it is a simple delight to me that a person who had a grasp of conditions and the humanity to perceive the ramifications if only for milliseconds, acted well.
Simple delight, but intensive delight. I'm grateful, very grateful, to Sully, crew, boats, et al.

Not to tie this to family, but a sort of tie - my father was head of photo for the bikini bomb tests, 35,000 people under him if I remember, re tech, though don't trust me on that. He was in the plane that shot down into Baker. I think that was the first photo of its kind. Not sure who was the photographer on the plane, will have to look it up, if possible. Might have been John Craig, a colonel of Danger is My Business fame, back in the day. Not to attribute it to him, as I'm not sure, as I remember some other names.
Someone else in the plane sued the US (whatever) some decades later; I saw it as a squib in the LA Times - I assume that went nowhere.

I am highly anti bomb, but my father lived another life. That act was ******* brave.

Sully was brave.

So it goes.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 07:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I should have included passengers in that nod of grateful. I'm grateful for many and sympathetic to all of them, no matter how they acted.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 07:51 pm
Bill was of the opinion that it was overdone, that the man did nothing more than what he was trained to do. Sully pretty much confirmed that he had been training his whole life for this moment. He had, what, 35 years of a milk run, and when push came to shove, he did his job.

Some of the things Bill said were backed up by the very things Sully said. What about the stewards, running around the cabin of an unstable aircraft? Were they not heroic?

If I viewed Sully as a hero, no one else's opinion could diminish that. A lot of it just seemed childish, oops, sorry, Intrepid, juvenile.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:10 pm
@JTT,
So, what's your exact gripe, JTT?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Do you assume I think stewards didn't act well?

I figure humans might not act well, especially those at the plane tail, with some reason.

Tell me more, why this is just routine procedure... while, of course it is, ideally, in a construct.
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:39 pm
@ehBeth,
In fact the man did indeed answer that question with a cute statement because people need heroes he would not denial them a hero!

He is loving his few hours of frame it would seem.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:43 pm
@BillRM,
You need to preview your posts before you hit submit. Or sober up, or something.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:49 pm
@BillRM,
The actual quote you keep corrupting is this:

Quote:
"You've been called a hero by a lot of people. How do you feel about that?" Couric asked.

"I don't feel comfortable embracing it, but I don't want to deny it. I don't want to diminish their thankful feeling toward me by telling them that they're wrong. I'm beginning to understand why they might feel that way," he replied.

Asked why that is, Sullenberger said, "Something about this episode has captured people's imagination. I think they want good news. I think they want to feel hopeful again. And if I can help in that way, I will."

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:52 pm
@BillRM,
Bill,

What effect on your life is there when people refer to Sully as a hero?

How would your life change if people were to stop referring to Sully as a hero today?
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Most of the passengers reacted well also from the reports and this with zero training for this event.

Humans on the whole in fact do react well to emergencies and do not run around in panic as we are the descended of people who in the past had not panic and therfore did survive to pass on thier genes to us.

This overwhelming hero worship of one man who did his job is a slap in the face to all the other men and women who did in fact when call on or would had acted in a similar manner as a matter of course .

Flying skill by pilots that are many time over ditching in the Hudison are little known by the general public for the simple fact they did not occur off New York on a slow news week and there was not great pictures of people standing on the wings.

Now if you wish to talk about a hero how about the man who froze to death in the cold water after the Wshington DC crash by trying to save others instead of himself?
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes that is one hell of a self serving statement and once more point out that he feel that people should not be told the truth if false hero worship would made them feel better!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is enjoying his few days or weeks of frame.

As I said a man who refused to leave freezing water and therefore gave his life up in saving and trying to save others is a hero. A man who did some nice flying that happen to work out well is not a hero.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:05 pm
@Butrflynet,
One would hope that my fellow citizens would not allow thier emotions to be control by the need of TV news channels to increase their ratings.

My life and all of our lives would be better if we sometimes refused to go along with people who wish to control our emotions for their benefit.
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:10 pm
@ehBeth,
EhBeth I would bet you think you are the first person who used personal attacks during an internet debate!

Sorry but that silliness is worhtless as a tool for showing anything but that you are an ass.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:22 pm
@BillRM,
If you don't wish to view him as a hero, that's fine. I have no desire to try to change your core philosophy.

It has nothing to do with the saturation or control of my emotions on the television news channels. I viewed it as a heroic feat the moment I heard of the event, long before many details or cockpit recordings were known. I've given many details of why I viewed it as a heroic feat. You've given a few opinions as to why you do not view it as a heroic feat.

Why do you persist in your attempt to impose your philosophy on me and how I choose to view it? Why can't we both be right? You don't view it as heroic. I do. I view it as heroic. You don't.

Why keep pursuing it any further than that? Is your need to be right so overpowering that you just can't control yourself?

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:11:02