Flight 1549 praise is being over done.

parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 06:20 pm
@BillRM,
I guess if the pilot had killed half the passengers then the TV shows could be doing programs on the families left behind.

Since the pilot didn't have the sense enough to provide such an opportunity TV is left with talking about the pilot.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 06:23 pm
@BillRM,
I heard that the ditching switch wasn't used. OMG, the pilot wasn't so calm after all.
BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 06:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes, Butrflynet however the calmness is to be expected and that had been my point all along.

There is nothing at all amazing about highly train people acting calmly in an emergency situation and to praise people for acting as they had been train to act and should act is going overboard in my opinion.

The crew and the people on the ground reacted as they should had reacted and with some skill flying and some luck everyone walk away.

I am as happy about the outcome as anyone else.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 07:23 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
There is nothing at all amazing about highly train people acting calmly in an emergency situation and to praise people for acting as they had been train to act and should act is going overboard in my opinion.

You should have some business cards printed up with the above quote, Bill. You can hand them out to reporters and survivors at scenes of emergency so they won't offend you with their praise and gratitude for the ER folks.

BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 08:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
I do not know what background you happen to had mine is very minor however I been in a few situations in the air where I needed to keep my head and act correctly and there is zero about doing so that is superhuman or amazing or worth being praised for,

Let see I been in a situation where my main parachute did not open correctly and I needed to cut away to my backup chute and this was on one of my first few jumps. No at the time you did not jump with an instructor tie to you.

My little toy MX Utralight had it engine stop working in flight once and once the spoilers jam in the up position and then the time that I took it off with the CG completely unbalance.

All the above could had ended my life if I had not done what my few hours of training call for and this level of training is very very very minor compare to what all the people involved in the JFK crash landing had have over many decades.

Now if everyone had not kept their heads that would be shocking to me not the other way around.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 08:26 pm
@BillRM,
Yes, most of us suck it up it in stress..

but, christ, this is New York City you might crash into in a few seconds.

I admire the pilot no matter what anyone says re expected procedure. First of all, this is a guy that wrote much of the procedure.

find some other gripe, bill.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 08:27 pm
@parados,
The ditching switch was not thrown?

To be fair the co-pilot more then likely was trying to relight one of the engines to the very last moment and the pilot was busy flying the plane so in the time frame they had going over the ditching check list would be asking a lot of them.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 08:33 pm
@BillRM,
People want to express their appreciation for a job well done by a lot of people involved in the emergency. It isn't about you, or how you feel when you are involved in an emergency. It is about others feeling the need to express their appreciation of what was done during this emergency.

If you don't like the attention when it is focused on you, all that is required is a simple thank you. You'll notice that is all that Sully is doing too. He may feel the same way you do, but he graciously recognizes the need to allow people to remark about it anyway. Take some lessons from him.

0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 09:57 pm
The more I read Bill's posts, the more I think he is an idiot. I give praise to all the people on this thread who have been calm and have tried to reason with Bill in the face of stupidity. There, I feel better now. Smile
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:33 pm
@BillRM,
Landing the plane without casualties was asking a lot of them.

They did that and you think they shouldn't be praised for it.
NickFun

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:58 pm
It would appear Bill does not appreciate what the pilot did because he has accomplished much greater acts of heroism on his own behalf several times. The fact remains, most times we hear of a passenger jet going down it ends in disaster. This may be the first time I have ever heard of where everyone emerges without so much as a scratch!
BillRM

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 06:45 am
@NickFun,
Odd takes on my comments however to me it is insulting to all people involved in aeronautic to imply that there is something amazing about the ability to follow your training and not panics in tight situations.

He is a good pilot that did what his many years of training call for but he is not a hero and for the TV networks to turn him into one for ratings is both silly and insulting.

Most people with training do not in fact panics, even people with far less training then that crew had such as the very minor example of myself.

Maybe I should had used my wife as an example as she is also a pilot who had have a few tight situations or a friend for that matter.

BillRM

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 07:16 am
@parados,
Landing the plane without casualties was asking a lot of them.
They did that and you think they shouldn't be praised for it
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The man ditch an aircraft and did a very workman job of so doing but neither that fact or the fact that all his passsengers walk away should turn him into some kind of a superhero, in my opinion.

There are examples of better flying in fact amazing flying that sadly did not result in everyone walking away.

The one I had already posted about where a flight crew was able to control their plane with only the ability to adjust the engines power.

They did not save everyone just half of the crew/passengers however it was an hour long situtation that to this day no one could match even in a similator.

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 07:47 am
@BillRM,
well, most people do care about people surviving and care less about the technical side of it. it was a great story, and media (and people) love a good story.

Story of amazing skill where people don't survive = not so popular (media will focus on the deaths anyway)

Story of (perhaps, in your opinion) not so amazing skill where people walk away unharmed = very popular, understandably so.

ultimately, overall people matter more (to most) then the technical aspect of flying.

0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 07:55 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

to me it is insulting to all people involved in aeronautic to imply that there is something amazing about the ability to follow your training and not panics in tight situations.

insulting? the compliment is paid to you as well. our lives as passangers depend on that training and skill that comes out of it. if you went through the same training and would be able to perform similarly, then the compliment goes for you as well. what on earth is insulting in it?

should i be insulted every time a colleague of mine gets a great book review? or a doctor when someone is beyond themselves with thanks for his colleague saving their life? i truly don't get what gets you so riled up.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 08:00 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

There are examples of better flying in fact amazing flying that sadly did not result in everyone walking away.

Really? How many times have you heard of a large jet airline lose all engines over a major metropolitan area and land with no loss of life?

Amazing flying where people didn't walk away? You mean CRASHES? It's always amazing when airlines CRASH and passengers DIE, isn't it?
Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 03:07 pm
One can only shake their head in disbelief. Poor Bill doesn't crash his ultralight and expects praise and adoration. Meanwhile he has sour grapes about a pilot who actually did something remarkable and saved not only his passengers, but probably many lives on the ground.

Find something worthwhile to bitch about, Bill.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 04:45 pm
@parados,
Except for the cold water it was an ideal situtaion to place a plane down in and have a very good outcome.

Let see a nice smooth river with no waves to break up the plane on landing to start with.

A large port city with hundreds of water crafts at hand only minutes from being able to grant aid and a state of the art rescue service.

A nice new state of the art aircraft with even a ditching switch to close openings in the air frame assuming the crew remember to throw it.

It was a nice smooth ditching however the majority of the flight crew leaving JFK that day given the situtaion would had likely done as well..

Sometimes the gods are smiling and everything is in your favor after the **** hit the fans or the birds hit the blades and that is why everyone walk away not because of some superhuman abitlilies of the pilot in command.

0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 05:36 pm
So Bill, we should thank the gods thus alleviating the captain and his crew of all responsibility? Thanks for clearing that up. ow Sully can go back to work and pretend nothing has happened.
dagmaraka

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 05:38 pm
@NickFun,
I believe Bill is saying that it shouldn't have been such news.

Sure, plane landed in the Hudson. Normal affair, nothing to see here, carry on.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:15:21