Advice on Bathroom Upgrade

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 06:00 pm
I'm installing wood floor in one the the bedrooms on the 2nd story. This room is directly above the master bathroom that is attached to my 1st floor master bedroom. Since I'm tearing up the carpet and will have direct access to the subfloor (and by tearing up the subfloor I'll have easy access to the ceiling of the bathroom) for probably the last time, I'm wondering if there is anything that I can do to the ceiling of the master bathroom that may make it more attractive to buyers in the future.

I'm thinking about a speaker connected to a wall radio, recessed lighting, heat lamp, etc. Any other ideas?

Also, the room upstairs that I'm putting new floor's in will be the 'Man Room'. I'm trying to figure out if there is anything that I'd want to put into this room that might be easier with access to the supports below the subfloor. I'm probably going to put in some soundproofing material as a lot of noise from the rest of the house gets into this room. Any other ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,415 • Replies: 10
No top replies

chai2

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 06:08 pm
how about this, as far as recessed lighting.

I say go for elegant.

You can paint the walls, trim in a really restful color.

How about splurging for one of those deep japanese bathtubs?

http://www.michaeljdove.com/images/brown.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 06:10 pm
Oh, BTW, good idea with the soundproofing.

We did that for one of the bedrooms, and you can't hear anything when you close the door. Great for reading and relaxing.
maporsche

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 06:13 pm
@chai2,
What type of materials did you use?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 06:35 pm
I can see doing recessed lighting wiring for the lower bathroom - but an electrician would be better at comments on that than I would. That particular lighting in the pic would annoy me in my own house (not that my present own house lighting doesn't but that's another story), though I might enjoy it in a restaurant - but there are many choices in recessed lighting.

Soundproofing and/or insulation sounds good.

Will look forward to more comments.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 10:59 pm
@maporsche,
webcam
aidan

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 04:36 am
@solipsister,
Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
chai2

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 07:46 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

double Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

ahem....as far as the soundproofing, sound board bought at home depot, put up under the drywall.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 02:58 pm
I'd prefer a heat lamp, especially in cold winter climates.
Soundproofing? Why don't you install cork tiles instead of wood. It's softer
on your feet and quite soundproof.
Other than that, get something that's easy to clean.
http://www.trendir.com/archives/ws-bath-collections-teatro-console.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 03:36 pm
@maporsche,
A heat lamp is the only thing that would interest me as a potential buyer other than a large walk-in shower. Oh, I lie - more outlets make every bathroom better, but I'm not sure I'd want ceiling outlets.

I hate bathtubs, don't like recessed lighting in any room etc etc.

Go as basic as possible - new buyers are always modifying things to their own taste. If resale is your interest, don't make it too distinctive.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 03:42 pm
I agree with ehBeth about the recessed lighting. It's now considered very "90's". New homes don't have it and people are removing it when they remodel. Take a trip to a book store and thumb through the latest bath magazines. You can often do similar looks for less money.
0 Replies