Advice on purchasing a revolver

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:54 pm
I'd like to add a revolver to my small gun collection. I'm looking for a good quality one that packs a punch.

Suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,592 • Replies: 29
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:55 pm
@maporsche,
did you decide to give up trying to kill somebody with a welder
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:57 pm
@djjd62,
Now that was funny!!!!!!
djjd62

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
i'll be here all week, ask your server about the drinks specials, try the veal
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 06:01 pm
@djjd62,
Nope...Obama is going to be sending me a big check...just looking how to spend it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 06:01 pm
@maporsche,
That was funny, too!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 07:19 pm
@maporsche,
my first and favorite revolver was a S&W 38 military/police issue, model 10 I think.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 07:22 pm
@maporsche,
i did read "somewhere" that we should all lay in a good supply of food and buy some rifles and PLENTY of ammunition in case some starving soul should show up at the doors .
"...packs a punch" sounds encouraging " . i'm sure cj will be pleased .
hbg
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 07:52 pm
@maporsche,
To some extent it depends on what you want the weapon to be able to do. I agree with Dys that a S&W .38 is a fine all-around weapon. But if you want more power a .44 magnum (any reputable brand) would probably be preferable. I believe it's the most powerful handgun generally available on the market and can be purchased either as a revolver (what I have) or a semi-automatic parabellum style pistol. Of course, if you just want to look like John Wayne and wear it slung low, a .44 Army model cap-and-ball revolver can't be beat. Working replicas are available at most gun shows.
maporsche

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 07:56 pm
@hamburger,
I'm sitting on about 3 months worth of food/water and almost 2000 rounds of ammunition between the Glock, AR15, and 12 gauge. I've been preparing.

Am looking to add a revolver as a more basic, super-reliable weapon that
roger

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 07:56 pm
@maporsche,
For quality and punch, I suppose I would go with a S&W Model 19. That's a .357. Personally, I favor the S&W J frames (Chief Special, mostly), but I'm giving up the punch in favor of something that fits better in my hand. Also, and just personally, I don't like the .357. I don't like the sharp recoil and the high pitched report.

I think the .45 auto is ideal for defense, but since you said revolver, that's how I'll answer.
maporsche

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 07:57 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Thanks MA; not too worried about looking like JW Laughing , just need something with stopping power. I'll start looking at some .44 magnum's.
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 09:34 am
@maporsche,
I love my old S&W MODEL 19 357 revolver. That gun almost aim itself and a 357 round have plenty of power for a hand gun.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:55 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
I'm sitting on about 3 months worth of food/water and almost 2000 rounds of ammunition between the Glock, AR15, and 12 gauge. I've been preparing.

Sounds like you had a helluva Super Bowl party.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:58 am
@roger,
Quote:
I think the .45 auto is ideal for defense . . .

The M1911 had not just stopping power, it had "knock that sucker down, flat on his back" power . . .
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:40 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Thanks MA; not too worried about looking like JW Laughing , just need something with stopping power.

What do you plan on stopping?
gungasnake

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:50 am
A 44mag pistol is vastly beyond what anybody needs for self or home defense and if you ever fired one off indoors without hearing protectors on, you might never hear again. It's basically for protection against large bears and other dangerous animals.

Those kinds of large revolver cartridges are leftovers from the age of black-powder arms and when you load them with modern smokeless powder you more than double the original power of the cartridge.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:56 am
@joefromchicago,
ChiTownJoe wrote:
What do you plan on stopping?

He's been having some problems with the neighbors.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_hk_cayNIONo/Ru88YXl-1CI/AAAAAAAAFms/JRsHRKLx9aM/s400/angry_villagers.jpg
BillRM

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:24 am
@Setanta,
I love the 1911 model A myself however it is not a revolver!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:54 am
@George,
Villagers! Always the villagers!
0 Replies