Why do you need to use 4 ant traps?

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:29 pm
It seems this time of year we get a problem with ants. I went out and bought those ant trap things where the ants are supposed to go to this nice restaurant and get take out to bring back to the family - what they don't know is the take out is poison.

Any way the package comes with 4 traps. The instructions say to use all four traps. Now these ants are only in a very small area. So if I were to put them where the ants are they would be right next to each other. Anyone know why I need to use all 4?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:38 pm
@Linkat,
Our house in Venice was apparently resting on a bed of ant colonies. I found that they were extremely keen on tuna and mayo.

I'm more wary of traps than ants. Plus, they don't eat much.

I could control them by cleanliness, trust me, not my mode - but it was probably lack of tuna, not cleanliness.
dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:49 pm
if you only had the choice of one restaurant you'd prolly eat out less. Competition is a pillar of a capitalist society
Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:53 pm
@dadpad,
So you are telling that each ant trap serves a different dish?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:58 pm
@ossobuco,
You won't need traps if you sprinkle some cinnamon around where they hang out. They don't like it, it's nontoxic, and doesn't smell bad - not that you'd care.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:58 pm
@Linkat,
Usually, I try to find the source where they are gaining entry and put a trap there, as well as at their gathering point, so they have fast food locations at both ends of their journey, one to capture the interests of those already inside the house, and the other to capture the interests of those newly breaking and entering into the house before they join the others.

Like Osso, though, I find more success by just putting a few temporary peelings of cucumber skins around the location. The cucumbers are said to give off a similar odor as one of their vile enemies and they avoid the place. It works well here.

When I first moved into my apartment, I discovered the ants were using the vacant apartment as a short cut to get from one side of the building to the other, rather than having to walk all the way around it on the outside.

It took two battles with strategically placed cucumber peelings to get rid of them and convince them not to return.
Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
Not sure why we get them - it does seem to be around the same time every year. They usually don't stay around too long, but I did do what you said, put it near where they are coming in. I'm not too worried about getting rid of them - just curious as to why I am supposed to use 4.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:20 pm
@Linkat,
So that you won't have any the next time you need them and you'll need to go buy more of them.

I just looked through a couple of do it yourself pest control pages about ant traps and none of them mention anything about needing to use four at once. So, I think my answer above is right. It is just to get you to use up the whole package so you won't have any extra sitting around waiting for the next time you need them.

roger

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:28 pm
@Butrflynet,
That, and maybe the get stale once the package is opened. Ants around here are pretty discriminating diners.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ants, so far, are not my problem Cockroaches inhabit our drainage systems, and I've seen some. Trust me, this sends me into tharn. Have you ever seen me hysterical? Well, I have. I've a concoction that works, but I never don't wear slippers. It's been about a year now..
dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:39 pm
These lil black ants are what we call sugar ants. They usally have several places they call home, this can include holes in ythe ground in your (or your next door neighbours) yard. The population is highly mobile and will shift eggs and brood around your house and or yard if one "nest becomes contaminated. The provision of several traps is to enable those people who have more than one nest to deal with the infestation effectivly.

The other consideration of course is the marketing packaging and transport all of which would cost arount the same for one trap as for 4. Placing 4 traps in one package cost the company only a minor amount more and allows them to effectivly increase profitability by charging for 4 packs.
(super size me)

Diamataciouse earth sprinkles in out of the way places may work as well. Any heavily scented spice or herb could be used ie pepper and or chilli
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Heh, I could tell you a story about a cockroach invasion we discovered on a visit to my great aunt's house that would give you nightmares.

She was in her late 90's very frail and nearly blind. With her poor eyesight, she thought she was doing well with keeping up her housekeeping in the kitchen. The cockroaches were having multi-generational family reunions and drag races everywhere.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
And I had a friend who studied in Paris and lived in a tiny place upstairs somewhere... and noticed, when he took the place, that there was a black pipe across the room.
Yes, cockroaches.

But your great aunt, butryflynet, that is tough to even think about.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
That was what I thought as well - just didn't know if there was any real reason besides to sell more.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Man - I'm glad I don't have to deal with them. I would probably be as bad.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:54 pm
@Linkat,
I have about two a year, but they ruin my composure, to put it mildly.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 03:37 am
Call in an expert....

http://www.bobpitch.com/anon/crackhitler_anteater2.jpg
Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a beast of ants and nests
I've been around for a long, long year
Help you get rid of all them pests
dlowan

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 03:41 am
@Mr Stillwater,
I want one.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 04:22 am
@Mr Stillwater,
pretty cool lookin dude there stilly
farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 06:35 am
@dadpad,
Too bad they have a brain the size of a piece of lint.