Cyracuz

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 02:11 pm
I came across this very interesting video about ants. It had a lot to do with how ants communicate, and it seemed kind of relevant to some of the topics that are on here at the moment. The entire behavior of an individual ant is determined by it's social context, almost as if it's programmed simply to respond. But at the same time there is no guiding mind behind it other than the collective output of all the ants making their chemical signals.
It seems a colony of ants has to be looked at as one single system in order to make sense of an ant's behavior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-gIx7LXcQM&feature=related

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,162 • Replies: 16
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:13 pm
@Cyracuz,
Social/Cultural Anthropologists, to the extent that they study individuals as members of social and cultural SYSTEMS tend to take this collectivist perspective. This, I believe, is useful (nay necessary) for understanding much of the behavior of everyday life. But for a more complete picture, a picture that takes into account the potential of the human animal, we must go beyond the "anthropological" perspective to include the genius of the individual philosopher and artists of all sorts.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 07:47 pm
@Cyracuz,
Ants are amazing little Borgs.

I realized a few months ago that my entire back yard (a very large flat field area) is almost completely peppered with ant hills. All the ants are from the same species (very small). I have no idea if all the hills are part of the same colony (with one queen), or if they are all separate colonies. But there must be 50 to 100 ant hills in every square yard of space. I wish I knew more about what is actually going on out there.

Good video by the way. Thanks.
imans

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 08:54 pm
@Cyracuz,
yes what is truly existing is exclusively small, bc existence is the superior fact out of the objective abstract duality between freedom and reality
so any is true when it is at the same time free and real and both in absolute terms therfore only small exist

while unfortunately, ants perspectives confirm how truth is constantly deformed by abuses
what should b acting by its own wills is actually the most dependant on everything else wills
which reveal the truth of existence being based on the slavery of rights for the benefit of wrong initiatives and constant possessions
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 01:24 am
Ant are societally awesome, but, having a problem with some a few years back, and not wanting to kill them, I began experimenting with their, and all lifeform's, basic traits.
How do I make them relocate? I thought.
This is how - Lager and sugar, mixed together in a shallow dish.
They will step outside their regimental quarters in order to satisfy their 'personal' desires and sugar is the key.
The first few got totally hammered and started wandering around, falling and zigzagging all over the place. When others came to investigate, the new found elixr's existence was relayed back to the nest.......
Soon hundreds of ants were falling about likely swearing to never partake again.
Not wishing to anthromorphosize, I will simply suggest that the ensuing discord thus generated led to my witnessing their mass exodus 30mtres up the garden the following day. 'where they are no bother'.

When any creature is faced with such as change that may lead to its annihilation, it has 3 choices... ADAPT, MOVE ON or DIE. Ants make the correct choice, it seems.

Mark...
rosborne979

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 04:31 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Lager and sugar, mixed together in a shallow dish.
Lager? You mean beer?
mark noble

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 04:34 am
@rosborne979,
Nope, I mean lager.
Beer will likely suffice though:)
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 05:15 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
But for a more complete picture, a picture that takes into account the potential of the human animal, we must go beyond the "anthropological" perspective to include the genius of the individual philosopher and artists of all sorts.

But how exactly do these geniuses become known? Is it because they have extraordinary minds, that some individuals excel above the average?
It might seem so if we consider that the fact that we have electricity is largely thanks to the discoveries of a handful of people.

But from another perspective, it seems fair to say that hadn't Faraday or Maxwell done the work they did, it would have been done by someone else. Maybe not at that time, perhaps decades later, but the discoveries would have been made.
In this sense, we are a lot like the ants. Ants go everywhere, leaving little signatures for other ants to follow. Signals that are followed more than others become stronger, because every ant that follows it adds to it. It is really only the collective effort that matters in this context. No individual ant is capable of surviving alone.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 05:16 am
@rosborne979,
Yes, I found myself thinking about the Borg too, while watching the video. Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 05:25 am
@mark noble,
I think the ants' success comes from trying all options rather than making choices between them. And maybe that goes for humans too. I don't know.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 05:27 am
Fortunately for us, the old gods are dead. Otherwise, we might be overwhelmed by the Myrmidons.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 02:07 pm
@mark noble,
I don't want to anthropomorize either, but arn't you concerned that they do not suffer an epidemic of diabettes 2?
mark noble

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 03:15 pm
@JLNobody,
Smile The alternative being, me somehow acquiring a rather costly and likely illegal anteater, or genocide by poison, I admittedly overlooked said advent.
NO anteaters were harmed in the delivery of my endeavors.
Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2012 07:45 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Nope, I mean lager.
Beer will likely suffice though:)

Isn't "Lager" a type of beer? What's the difference between beer and lager?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 03:17 am
You're absolutely correct Roswell.

Wikipedia:

Lager (German: storage) is a type of beer that is fermented and conditioned at low temperatures.

Dictionary-dot-com

Also called lager beer . a beer stored from six weeks to six months for aging before use.

The Free online dictionary

A type of beer of German origin that contains a relatively small amount of hops and is aged from six weeks to six months to allow sedimentation. Also called lager beer.

Merriam Webster

a beer brewed by slow fermentation and matured under refrigeration
rosborne979

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 07:55 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You're absolutely correct Roswell.
Oh good, I was afraid I was losing my mind there for a second. Smile
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 10:55 pm
@Cyracuz,
I think this TED video goes exactly where you are headed there Cyr...

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd-dqUuvLk4
0 Replies