Some of my best friends are white, middle class, democrats.

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:34 pm
Who are some of your best friends?

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:39 pm
I'm deprived. I don't have any best friends. I guess that leaves only me. I am my best friend. Sometimes I like it that way a lot, other times it gets a bit lonely so I sit down and have a good chat with myself to catch up on old times.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:40 pm
Some of my best friends are small, hairy and like to lick their own butts . . .
Thomas

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:46 pm
@boomerang,
What do you mean, "friends"?
boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:57 pm
@Thomas,
By friends I mean, of course, the obvious -- people I have stood next to at one time or another, perhaps even spoken to, whereby I can cite that proximity to them as a way to buffer the racist/sexist/ageist/homophobic comment I'm about to utter.

You know, friends.

Don't be so silly, Thomas.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:12 pm
Being older and having kept in touch with people off and on, I still have some friends who "matter" and vice versa, and some who I'd have to say are long term acquaintances.

Thinking. (and, well, what's white, anyway?)
Of my serious girlfriends over the years - among the longest term are my latina friends from LA, as in 50 years, some approaching 40 years.. Some white, like my friend from Estonia (her birthday is in two days - met her in college.) I guess I'd say middle class. Two are wild eyed Republicans, most Democrat, Green, or mix of lib and libertarian.

male friends, most white, liberal dems, mid class, some repubs. Have lost track of an eritrean friend - we never wrote, but I'd still like to catch up with him/his life.
A lot of both male and female friends in "helper" professions.

boyfriends, as in romance - hah. One lib (major memory) whose parents were in the communist party in the old days. A couple of Republicans (oh, well, they were good lovers). Married a white working class (? hard to say, he had a great scholarship) lib. We're divorced, but still agree on lots of issues.

I myself am no-class. That is, I was born to irish american parents, my father's family being more lace curtain than my mother's around 1900. My father went to med school in the twenties but had to drop out because his brother was further along, at Harvard law, when their mother needed taking care of.. he became a "cutter" at Columbia. On the other hand, some on my mother's side made hay in Hollywood as accountants. We were poor in my teens, father being long unemployed and my mother and I working, me after school. I've a good education, thanks to UCLA having no tuition back then, but lived for a lot of years with little money and am scraping now, that having to do with certain choices and with health and divorce. Money hasn't interested me that much over the years, and it shows now.

Oh, I'm white, democrat re party choice for voting in primaries.

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:29 pm
@boomerang,
One of my closest friends is about as different as can be to me. She gave up making a good amount of money in a chemistry lab to save beached whales and dolphins. While I work for corporate America. She is a vegatarian and I love meat and lobster. She is about as liberal as you can be. I am a bit more conservative.

But I love the girl to death - she is a sweet heart and we grew up together - more like sisters than friends.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:33 pm
My best friends?

My wife.

Then, in no specific order, a first group of 5:

-An Italian, formerly Communist, an economist now left-leaning advisor-consultant-politician.
-An Argentinian, formerly Communist, a graduate in agriculture, now left-leaning rappresentative of EU food help in Thailand.
-Three Mexicans, all center-left-leaning: a journalist (my longest-lasting friend: 40 years), two economists.
All males, all middle class, all in their fifties. None is religious.

In the second group -of about 20 people- you can find women, people of other ages, persons from different religions (mostly Catholics, but one Jew and one Protestant), and a greater ideological (from extreme left to right-of-center) and social (from relatively wealthy to working class, but still mostly middle class) range.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:56 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

By friends I mean, of course, the obvious -- people I have stood next to at one time or another, perhaps even spoken to, whereby I can cite that proximity to them as a way to buffer the racist/sexist/ageist/homophobic comment I'm about to utter.

You know, friends.

Don't be so silly, Thomas.

Ah - "on that bicycle", as we say in Holland.

Well, in that spirit: Some of my best friends are Americans.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 09:24 pm
Some of my best friends are gay. Always have been, throughout my adult life.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 09:50 pm
Some of my friends are Americans.

Shhh! don't tell anyone
patiodog

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:06 pm
@dadpad,
Some of my best friends have moved to Australia. Listless American slackers will do that sometimes.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:53 pm
My friends are from all over the world. We could form the United Nations,
except we're all white and live comfortable. Except for one, we're all democrats
and liberals - some even far left.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:59 pm
I like the current advertisement at the bottom of the page.

Dyslexia Middle Class Dolphins Girlfriends Find Women Buffer Divorce Boomerang Best Friends Lobster linksnet
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I look back at my post and see I was answering Boomer's question re whiteness.

I didn't notice, when I was young, that my friends were different from me. As a late teen, I did. The first time I really noticed was when I was set up, via a work friendship, with a chinese fellow who spoke no english. That all went along ok at the dinner, except that Theresa expected us all to perform after dinner with a song or dance.
But I can't carry a tune much less dance on request. I remember behaving badly, as in princess refusing.
Also remember a mad crush for a jamaican doc at St. John's. Shortly after that I got to go to a university and we were all different, or so it seemed then, mutual difference and interest., world opening. Now I think maybe not so much, but then, it was a giant leap.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:58 am
@boomerang,
Human.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:59 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

Some of my best friends have moved to Australia. Listless American slackers will do that sometimes.

And don't think I didn't hear that.

patiodog

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:18 am
@dlowan,
Hear what, bunny? It's what we do.

Your listless slackers come here, too. Change of scene, the sound of an exotic locale, but very little cultural adjustment.
chai2

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:31 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Some of my best friends are small, hairy and like to lick their own butts . . .

Your best friends are the Spawn Satan too?

Actually, they don't like doing it, but they do like to annoy you.

http://static.flickr.com/132/373067896_3e493aa5b1_m.jpg
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:47 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Who are some of your best friends?

Fat, middle-aged, balding white men. What can I say, I work then go home then back to work.

I've also got a good neighbor-mom friend who is a little nutty like me, so I can be myself. My kids are my friends in a different kind of way. Then there are my sisters and my brother and his wife. I guess I don't make a lot of friends.
0 Replies