Is Peace out of Reach? Has peace in the Middle East become nothing more than a pipe dream?

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:26 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Where would you see land being that Israel would swap with the west bank Palestinians?

It's hard to keep up with, as settlement activity changes this, but all that really matters is contiguity. We can talk prime farming land, water resources and all that, but none of it comes close to contiguity in strategic importance.

A jointly owned and administrated highway connecting Gaza and the West Bank might be a sweetener, but the rest is basically what unoccupied land they can exchange near the West Bank.

But left out of the big picture on this video, and in this thread is what some of the Israeli settlers believe will happen.

It's common to preach that Israel faces a choice between ethnic cleansing, apartheid, or the end of the Jewish state. But the most likely outcome of the current direction is a little bit different in my opinion, and is what many settlers are hoping for.

They are hoping that what's left of Gaza and the West Bank become part of Egypt and Jordan respectively, and are trying to settle their way there. I think if Israel does so, she'll have security concerns for a couple more generations, but it's what some Israelis are pushing for.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:59 pm
@Setanta,
The state of Israel came into existence in 1947. The conflict between the Palestinians and Zionists over the land upon which the state of Israel would eventually be founded began decades before its founding starting with Palestinian demonstrations in 1920 against Britain's repressive Mandate that favored the Zionist project and their incursion into Palestine, and leading up to the 1929 Buraq Uprising, or Palestine riots. The demonstrations occurred 89 years ago. The riots occurred 80 years ago.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 08:08 pm
@Setanta,
But yeah, as far as length goes, they've got about another seven centuries or so to catch up.

We'll see if GreenWitch's predictions come to pass before then.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You mean, the non-Jewish snatched land becomes part of those countries?

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Bloody Hitler.

I don't think Yeretz Yisrael would have had much of a chance if the world hadn't been so overwhelmed by the Holocaust.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 08:57 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

But left out of the big picture on this video, and in this thread is what some of the Israeli settlers believe will happen.

It's common to preach that Israel faces a choice between ethnic cleansing, apartheid, or the end of the Jewish state. But the most likely outcome of the current direction is a little bit different in my opinion, and is what many settlers are hoping for.

They are hoping that what's left of Gaza and the West Bank become part of Egypt and Jordan respectively, and are trying to settle their way there. I think if Israel does so, she'll have security concerns for a couple more generations, but it's what some Israelis are pushing for.

I think they are hoping that Gaza becomes part of Egypt, but I'm not so sure about the leftover bits of the West Bank going to Jordan. As you say, it's hard to keep up with the settlement activity, but I believe the settlers already have the land bordering the Jordan river, leaving the Palestinians sections more or less cut off. (I'll verify this when I get a sec.) It could be that they've done the math and figured that they can absorb these Palestinians as long as Egypt takes Gaza. Or it could be that they want to allow them a Vatican-like state in what's left of the West Bank. Who knows.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:02 am
@FreeDuck,
Here's where I got my original information, which is now 7 years old.

http://www.mideastweb.org/map_israel_settlements.htm
0 Replies