Looking for a Perfect Food - Nutritional, Portable, Storable

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:54 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'd do that, but there's too much sodium in frozen foods.

I like the idea of quinoa as a base and adding in a full variety of fruits/veggies and maybe even some chicken/fish and blending it all together. I'll probably throw in some beans and some nuts as well.

I'll package it into 500 calorie packages, and eat/drink 5/6 a day.

I'll work on a recipe today/tomorrow and post it for feedback.

Peasant's meal -

Quinoa
Black Beans
Little bit o' cheese
little bit o' salsa if you need some acid.

Breakfast quinoa porridge -

Quinoa, but cooked with milk and agave syrup/something sweet
Bananas
Almonds
Sprinkle Cinnamon to taste

Quinoa salad -

1 cup quinoa
black beans/any beans really
lemon
sauteed onions and bell peppers/sweet peppers
cilantro
tomatoes

cook quinoa, cook onion/bell peppers seprately, add everything else raw. Finish with lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.

---

I cook it right in the rice cooker, 1 cup to 1.5 cups water. You can make it on the stove just like rice too.

There are a lot of varieties but you're only likely to find white, red, and black. Make sure you rinse thoroughly as there's some sort of natural bitter-tasting chemical on the outside.

You can cook this in huge, week-long batches - except for the breakfast, I've only tried that fresh.

Wow, I didn't realize how much protein quinoa has. Just looked. It's got a lot. I'm going to go cook some.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:02 pm
Quinoa, but cooked with milk and agave syrup/something sweet
Bananas
Almonds
Sprinkle Cinnamon to taste

That sounds really good.....I think I'll try that for breakfast tomorrow, but cooked in soy milk..

oh yeah, forgot about the bitterness....aren't they actually seeds?

maro...they have a coating on them to keep the birds and other animals from eating it.
Put quinoa in large bowl of water, rub through your hands, and pour through a fine sieve (seive?) They are really really tiny.

cyl...I don't know why this food isn't promoted more, I'm sure you know this, but just to through it out there...

This stuff originated in the andes, doesn't need the best soil. If it can grow there, it can grow anywhere. Plus, it's cheap and obviously nutritious.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:14 pm
@chai2,
It's a super food. I believe it is a seed, actually, though it acts more like a grain to me.

Cycloptichorn

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:17 pm
what about drying, jerky and dried fruits and veg, not sure about nutritional value, you'd have to check on that

0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:34 pm
@maporsche,
Here's another article about prison loaf (aka nutriloaf) --this one's not only got a recipe, but also a taste test! It was not popular with the testers as I recall, but not actually vomit-inducing, and you said that's good enough for you, right? Smile

AV Club Nutriloaf Taste Test
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:44 pm
I first thought of my black bean/rice/cheese/beef w chipotle in adobo burrito, but I might have to jump in the lake to get away from it as multiple times a day thing.

Thing is, a lot of nutrients aren't just from pills, but from the not yet explored benefits of real food. You might be able to extract lycopene from tomatoes, probably cooked, but the whole fresh garden tomato may have more to offer in other ways.

So.. riffing from that, I think aliquots of purified pureed food will never make a perfect pill.
Which reminds me of a long ago photo, of a guy in a suit looking at a plate with a pill on it.

roger

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Don't you people enjoy eating? This is sad.
chai2

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 08:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It's a super food. I believe it is a seed, actually, though it acts more like a grain to me.

Cycloptichorn

hey, I just made up a porridge that I'll just heat up in the morning.

Loosely based on your recipe, I just scavenged through the cupboards.

Ended up with
quinoa
soymilk
allspice
cinnamon
almond extract
banana
peanut butter.

smelled really good.

That'll stick to your ribs.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 08:11 pm
@roger,
You talkin' to me?
chai2

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

You talkin' to me?

You must be talkin' to me, I don't see anybody else here.

http://ticklebooth.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/you-talking-to-me.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:31 pm
@chai2,
That was the ref, yes! Chai. Good link..

Roger and I know each other in real life and have food preference variation.. (howls laughing for both) enough for each of us to make fun of -- but, whatever, both like food.

I'm weird enough, with low sense of smell and high food avidity.
Hard for me to understand Maporsche - and I don't mean that dismissively.

roger

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Might as well load up a caulking gun with that "perfect food" crap, fit a hose to in, and inject it directly into the stomach.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:16 pm
@roger,
I suppose I should just skip the perfect tortilla chip, cheese dip, explosive pepper mash..
and go on to the desiccated bread filaments with basil tips..

but really, let's get to the latest nutrient preferences.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Think of Pine...
pycnogynol
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:13 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

hey, I just made up a porridge that I'll just heat up in the morning.

Loosely based on your recipe, I just scavenged through the cupboards.

Ended up with
quinoa
soymilk
allspice
cinnamon
almond extract
banana
peanut butter.

smelled really good.

That'll stick to your ribs.

wow, eating some now, this stuff is major league good!

mar.....like osso, and probably others, I don't really get the not that into eating thing. Not disparging either, I just wonder why.

Of course there are different level of interest in food, but someone who lives for food, and someone like you are on different ends of the bell curve.

Does food not taste that good to you?

Would you really be satisfied eating the same thing every day, as long as it met your nutrional needs? You wouldn't get bored?

If you could, would you just cut eating out of your life altogether? Do you see it as a waste of time?

All these questions are just out of curiosity.
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:29 am
@maporsche,
Avoid soy if you want to maintain testosterone levels and not lose natural calcium.
http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/03summary.htm

I used to feed Jillian all purpose foods like this.
A blender and a freezer were my best friends.
It took some prep work, one morning each week in fact, but in about 3 hours ( mostly because I had to steam a lot of the foods) I was able to feed her for a week .

She was raised on a semi vegan diet mostly because I wanted her to have a variety of nuts, beans, and veggies introduced to her taste pallet.

Go to the store and just buy one of every veggie you can. Who cares what it is.

leafy greens, put them all into the blender with 2 apples to sweeten it up.
Add some milk if you drink milk, or just some water to make it mush.
Have that as a ;snack like ' beverage.

Steam all of your hard veggies ( squash, potatoes, carrots etc)
Blend those with Asian pears. Asian pears have a lot of fiber and again.. add just a little sweet ( which you need.. because some of this isnt going to taste good)

Purchase in bulk, some nutritional yeast and begin adding 2 tablespoons to every blender full of food you make.

1/2 an avacado a DAY gives you good fat.
Throw that into the blender.

if you want something to chew on, make your own energy bars out of peanut butter, oats, pine nuts ( fatty nuts. IF you have those, skip the avacado for the day) millet seed, and some oil. I have the recipie some where. I can dig it up. It actually comes out realllllly good, especially if you add raisins.

Get a really good brand of olive oil and add about 1/2 tablespoon to your blender mixes as well. You need that fat and cholesterol.

For protien, you will have to just simply cook some meat.
Or , you can do a variety of beans, blender style too.. but I have tried that one.. many times.. and.. well.. it was gross. HA

Red beans and rice. Salt free brands cook up well. Add an extra can of red beans and 1-2 cups of cooked brown rice to any store package and you have enough of that combination for a week, if not longer.

Avoid soy.
Like the plague
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:39 am
@roger,
i'm only trying to help, i don't get the whole "i don't carry what it looks like as long as i get my nutrient" thing, i like food, and i like it to look like food
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:16 am
@chai2,
Really it's a time thing chai, I estimate that I probably spend 15+ hours each week making food, shopping for food, thinking about what to eat, going places to get food, logging calories, reviewing food journal, etc. Additionally, what I do end up eating could not even be considered a complete diet. I don't really get my vegetables in, I probably don't get enough omega-3, and my OCD over marathon training and weight training has me counting calories and keeping track of every thing I put in my mouth. My current meal preparation schedule often gets cut short from work or just waking up late so I don't pack a lunch and I'm stuck eating something at the work cafeteria.

I don't have a fondness for food that most people have. I volunteered to have my taste buds tested in biology class in college and my taste buds were among the least responsive in the class. I can eat pretty much anything. Years ago, as a test of will power I ate nothing but ham and cheese sandwiches for 6 months; it really was not that hard. I even handled not eating w/o to much of a problem; last year, I went on a 10 day water fast and it really wasn't that hard.

What I've noticed is that what goes into my mouth really makes no difference to me. My SO on the other hand has a hard time with it, which usually causes me to eat other foods. She gets sick of eating at home and wants to eat out, so we go wherever she wants to go, because I really have no preference for any resturant's food menu.

I'm sure this diet will get boring at times. When that happens I'll just remember all the time I'm saving. And the SO will still make me eat out with her at least 1 or 2 times per week, so I'll have some variety. And we have friends that throw dinner parties every few weeks so I won't be so rigid that I bring my own 'paste' to their dinner party.

And yes, if I could (both socially and physically) cut eating out of my life I'd do it in a heartbeat.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:18 am
@roger,
Roger, we are completely on the same page. This would be ideal. I wonder what goes into a feeding tube for those brain-dead folks in hospitals?
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:35 am
Is this what you're looking for:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5228/menuccase6km6.jpg
If you don't like Menu 9, they have others.