Which A2Kers Have Had the Most Influence on Your Life?

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 09:00 am
I have been hanging around A2K for a long time, and Abuzz before that. I am talking about ten years. In those years, I have learned a lot from many different members. I have made some delightful friendships, and have gone through the trials and tribulations of life with many members.

In those years, two people stand out. One is Frank Apisa. For decades, I had considered myself an atheist. He made me realize that atheism and theism are simply two sides of the same coin.

Basically, we really don't know very much about the universe. Although we have more knowledge in the last fifty years than we had in the millions that came before it, we still have a long way to go, before we can make rational, intelligent statement about how the world works.

The other person who made a big difference to me was Noddy. Although she is no longer with us, her words of wisdom will stay with me as long as I live.

Are there any members on A2K who have influenced your life in a meaningful way? Please share.

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 09:09 am
@Phoenix32890,
Yep, Noddy is the first one who comes to mind. I started with Abuzz when I was 7 months pregnant with sozlet, and in the beginning especially Noddy was a huge influence on me when it came to parenting. So much practical advice, but also a general outlook. (Mothers are important. Do your best. Don't try to control everything because you can't. Yes, it's a hard job.)

Boomerang has also been a parenting influence, sometimes in indirect ways. Also a photography influence -- I don't see her photos as much anymore but I sometimes take pictures and say "that's SUCH a boomer picture...." (This is a good thing.)

Ay-yi-yi, this is getting into list territory and I so hate lists because I always but always smack my head at the end of it at the incredibly important people I left out. So. This is not comprehensive, at all.

Nimh and Thomas both have had an influence on how I articulate my thoughts and approach things logically, I think. Robert too, definitely Robert. And FreeDuck. FreeDuck's another parenting influence too.

I remember that when I first joined Abuzz dlowan would absolutely blow me away with the sustained badinage, literary references galore and FUNNY. I'm not sure if she's an influence per se because I'm nowhere in her league, but I know that she's another one who I think of at non-A2K times... would she think it's funny? Then it is. Smile

Patiodog is in that category too.

OK, nowhere near finished or complete but will stop there anyway...
sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 09:11 am
@sozobe,
I just thought of a way that dlowan is an influence -- I use terms like "pear-shaped" and "big girl's blouse" in everyday conversation now...
djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 10:25 am
@sozobe,
wow, hard to say

it's really the whole community here

it's kind of being able to come across somebody, and say, "oh, so you think that way too, it's not just me"

living in a somewhat rural area, i was the guy who, read books (can you imagine that), read a national newspaper, listened to music you didn't hear on the radio, watched foreign films (subtitled please, seems more natural)

i like the solitude of the country, and a2k keeps me in touch with a bigger world
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 06:45 pm
OLD DOG He and I have become fast friends through the decade of our first meeting on Abuzz. I was lucky enough to read the first and most bawdy draft of his autobiography. He is now quite ill and I pray for him each day for recovery.

BSTOMBO Who contacted me by phone the very first time he and I crossed paths on Abuzz and have ever since been his friend along with his precious wife Jaybee, God rest her soul. Both of them had my tie-dyed shirts and somewhere I have a pix of them arm in arm smiling with the shirts on. Byron dropped out of sight during the summer after Jaybee passed away, his phone has been disconnected and my cards to him get returned. I wish him well wherever he is tonight.

SEYDLITZ89 Who taught me that Max Weber could actually be understood (unfortunately in its originally written German), AND the tour de force of his writing on Reaganism and Market Utponianism which he allowed me to post elsewhere.

and another, called MARK LEVIN, whose personal email to me made me cry. You see, I had quoted a poem from the Finnish composer Sebelius in a post of consulation to a member who had passed away and the next day he emailed me to ask me if he could read the poem (he did not realize it was from Sebelius) at his wife's funeral the next day in Isreal, because it had contained the verbal devotion he had for his wife. To think, me having read a poem from childhood, remembering it, posting it on the Web and having the words I remembered helping a grieving man honor his beloved wife. That is why I come back to this site.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 06:50 pm
The members that brought me out of my shell (partially), of whom there are too many to list. A few have been extremely helpful when I struggled, and they know who they are.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 07:58 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Which A2Kers Have Had the Most Influence on Your Life?

I'll dodge this one and say: everyone. Everyone I discussed with anyway. Before I joined Abuzz and took up the habit of defending my views against peers, in writing, it was kind of settled that I'm just no good at writing. Talking -- great! But for writing, in English or in German, I just didn't seem to have any talent. That was the view of my teachers in school, my professors in college, and myself. It was the experience of writing to people, rather than for them, that changed this. Thanks guys!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 08:09 pm
No one here has had an influence on me. I still remain as close-minded and misanthropic as always.

George

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 08:15 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
You're a rock, Gus, a friggin Gibraltar!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 08:20 pm
Thanks
Montana

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 08:27 pm
Noddy, Phoenix, Brooke, Izzie, Foxfyre, Timber, Farmerman, and I'll be back when I think of others.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 08:28 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
You're welcome.
Rock on.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:07 am
cavfancier, and l'k (in combo with blaisedaley)

cav's far too early death changed how I look at life. He influenced me both in the way he lived and the way he died.

l'k and blaise gave me support and encouragement and spine. I adore them.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:44 am
Some of these posts in this thread are some of the most menaingful I've read on A2K of recent times.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 12:39 pm
I couldn't possibly pick out who here has had the most influence. There's a piece of everyone that I've interacted with both on A2K and Abuzz, that goes with me.

When I reflect on joining Abuzz back in 2000 and compare that person to who I am today there is an oceans width of difference in how I view the world. I consider that difference to be positive. I thank everyone for their part in it.
George

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 01:34 pm
timberlandko
The only guy I ever knew who could use "figger" and "Abrahamic Mytheopia"
in the same sentence and carry it off. Damn, I miss that guy.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:33 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix, I don't know about influence, but I do know there are many here that inspired me to write and research. I don't like to name them, because I'm afraid that I'll leave someone out.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 02:15 pm
@squinney,
I'd love to hear what differences you notice, if you wish to tell.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 02:56 pm
ehBeth had a lot to do with me changing my mind at the last minute and NOT moving out of NYC three+ years ago. So I'd have to give her the title of Most Influential. So what if she still owes me a drink all these years later? That girl's alright in my book.
Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 02:59 pm
I think for me influence may be a bit strong. However, many many people on here have been very supportive and made me feel tons better while I had been going through lots of tough stuff (and continue to). And I figure this is as a good a place as any - thanks to all those that make me feel much less miserable and much less a failure.

Actually except for Gus - he influenced me to change my perfectly landscaped backyard into a swamp and I am all the better for it.
0 Replies