Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:37 pm
When Franklin Roosevelt took office 76 years ago, he began immediately to take steps to deal with the "Great Depression." Since that time, pundits have looked at a new President's first one hundred days to judge the office holder and the administration.

So, i thought it would be a good idea to have a hundred days thread for Mr. Obama. Please post here your views here, and link news articles if you can.

If people show up to pick a fight, i would appreciate if other members would ignore them, so as not to derail the thread. Of course, anyone of any point of view commenting directly and cogently on what has been posted is due the respect of a commensurate response. People who just come here to call names, or with wild accusations, should be ignored. Of course, i can't control what any of you do, and wouldn't make the attempt if i could.

From the Associated Press:

Quote:
Obama calls Middle East leaders

By BEN FELLER " 4 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) " President Barack Obama called four Middle East leaders on Wednesday, weighing in for the first time about the Gaza crisis by pledging to support a fragile cease-fire.

Obama called Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, Jordan's King Abdullah and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

"He used this opportunity on his first day in office to communicate his commitment to active engagement in pursuit of Arab-Israeli peace from the beginning of his term, and to express his hope for their continued cooperation and leadership," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said.

Obama inherits the aftermath of a conflict that roiled the Middle East anew and dogged the final days of the Bush administration. An Israeli offensive ravaged Gaza and left some 1,300 Palestinians dead, at least half of them civilians, according to estimates. Thirteen Israelis also died. Israel launched the war to halt years of militant rocket fire on southern Israel and to stop arms smuggling that put one-eighth of the country's population within rocket range.

A tenuous halting of the bloody fighting is in place.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,170 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:53 pm
Here's a good graphic I found a few weeks ago that compares the first 100 days of the presidents since FDR:

http://awesome.goodmagazine.com/goodsheet/goodsheet009First100Days.html
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:01 pm
I think this was his first action:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/21/guantanamo.hearings/index.html
Quote:
GUANTANAMO BAY, Cuba (CNN) -- The Obama administration is drafting executive orders calling for the closure of the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, two administration officials said.\

The revelation coincided with a judge's decision on Wednesday to halt the September 11 terrorism cases at the behest of President Obama. On Tuesday, he directed Defense Secretary Robert Gates to ask prosecutors to seek stays for 120 days so terrorism cases at the facility can be reviewed, according to a military official close to the proceedings.

The officials say the White House is expected to call for:

• Closing the detention facility within a year.

• A systematic review of detention policies and procedures and a review of all individual cases.

• A policy requiring the Army field manual for interrogations to apply to all people in U.S. custody. This is aimed at closing any potential loophole that might allow the CIA to engage in what many say are coercive interrogations

It was not clear who would conduct the review, although the White House, the Defense Department and the Justice Department are expected to be deeply involved, the officials said.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:52 pm
@Setanta,
It just looks odd to me. Viscerally. A bit like a bluestocking who has had a few gins and is dancing nervously erotically and nobody dare say so.

If that constitutes a "wild accusation" you should ignore it.
spendius

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:00 pm
@spendius,
A bit like Lloyd Bridges in the Airplane movie. And Robert Stack.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:03 pm
Wow, RG, that's quite a page!

You know, GW, i have been hearing about Guantanamo all day on the radio news, but just didn't have it in mind when i came to start this thread.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:09 pm
@Setanta,
it is expected that the president's first visit to a foreign country will be a visit to CANADA !

Quote:
The Canadian government anticipates an announced visit from U.S. President Barack Obama will come "sooner rather than later," Canada's foreign affairs minister told CBC News on Tuesday.

Lawrence Cannon said despite the choice of George W. Bush to visit Mexico in his first official state visit, a historical precedent from John F. Kennedy onward suggests presidential visits to Canada have "always been quite close" to the inauguration date.

we rooted for him - so naturally , we'll be first !
he needs to bring a parka if he intends "to come soon" . Wink
hbg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:16 pm
Maybe he got some skates for christmas . . .
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 08:11 am
I love this guy!!! Go, Obama, Go!!! I wish I had a statue of GW Bush I could smash the head off of in celebration.

Quote:
On Day One, Obama Sets a New Tone

Quote:
WASHINGTON " President Obama moved swiftly on Wednesday to impose new rules on government transparency and ethics, using his first full day in office to freeze the salaries of his senior aides, mandate new limits on lobbyists and demand that the government disclose more information.

Mr. Obama called the moves, which overturned two policies of his predecessor, “a clean break from business as usual.” Coupled with Tuesday’s Inaugural Address, which repudiated the Bush administration’s decisions on everything from science policy to fighting terrorism, the actions were another sign of the new president’s effort to emphasize an across-the-board shift in priorities, values and tone.

“For a long time now there’s been too much secrecy in this city,” Mr. Obama said at a swearing-in ceremony for senior officials at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, adjacent to the White House. He added, “Transparency and rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/us/politics/22obama.html?_r=1&amp;th=&amp;adxnnl=1&amp;emc=th&amp;adxnnlx=1232632856-YLKtZkmpny7XtG8b0abenw<br /> <br />
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 08:20 am
It appears other than signing an order to end Gitmo within a year, he is appointing George Mitchell as envoy to the Middle East.

Quote:
As one of his first actions, Obama plans to name former senator George J. Mitchell (D-Maine) as his Middle East envoy, aides said, sending a signal that the new administration intends to move quickly to engage warring Israelis and Palestinians in efforts to secure the peace.

source
rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 08:30 am
@revel,
revel wrote:
he is appointing George Mitchell as envoy to the Middle East.

Now that's a job I wouldn't want.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 08:33 am
@revel,
if he'd appointed George Michael, that would have been a bold move
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 08:36 am
He has also met officials on Iraq talking about ending the war in sixteen months.

Quote:
On his first full day in office, Mr. Obama summoned senior civilian and uniformed officials to the White House to begin fulfilling his campaign promise to pull combat forces out of Iraq in 16 months. Among those meeting with Mr. Obama was Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top commander of American forces in the Middle East, who had not seen him since the Nov. 4 election.

“I asked the military leadership to engage in additional planning necessary to execute a responsible military drawdown from Iraq,” Mr. Obama said in a written statement after the meeting. He added that he planned to “undertake a full review of the situation in Afghanistan in order to develop a comprehensive policy for the entire region.”

NYT
0 Replies