Mirror in the Dining Room

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:37 pm
Agreeing generally with all so far, though I can imagine using a mirror in a dining room along with art (always always art...). Just not right there. I've tended to use mirrors in my places - that is, other than in bathrooms so you can see your face at the sink - to bring "borrowed" light and depth to a space. For example, I have a small hall corner area at the entry to the 'master' bedroom being used as computer room; this hall is very dark and there is no electrical outlet there. But
the wall you see as you go into that dark space is facing, outside the door and another hall, a nicely lighted area filled with frames of antique postcards and a small table with books with photos of various villas. Sooooo, on that dark area wall I hung an old very heavy quite ornate frame with a mirror. What do I see when I now enter that little area? Lots of light, a framed collection, and myself in passing.

(Doesn't matter if your taste is for old and ornate or clean lined modern - to me the uses of a mirror are the same..)
saab

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:59 pm
@ossobuco,
We have a staircase going upstairs and there I have a big heavy oval gold framed mirror which catches the sun from the windows above and reflexes the sunlight down to the dark hall. Around this mirror I have hung pictures in round golden frames from about the same time as the mirror.
In the livingroom I have a desk (1800) and above a mirror in gold frame - about the same age - glass getting black. In front of the mirror I often light candles which then reflects as if there were several.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:10 pm
@saab,
Both of those examples sound great to me, saab...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
Funny you should say that calamity....my wall color is almost that color!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:20 pm
Thanks everyone! I am going to forgo the mirror and get this piece that I've been drooling over (but couldn't manage to fork over the dough for).

It's HUGE and I love it. And I think it will look absolutly perfect. I should have just resigned myself to buying it in the first place as I have found nothing else i like as well.

And today I am apparently in luck....i can get 25% off. Smile

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/NYG/SG3003~Improvisation-No-23-Posters.jpg
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:21 pm
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/20/P110PICA.JPG

Maybe I'll put an ass on the wall. Laughing
Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:25 pm
@Bella Dea,
Very good. That looks like real art. You can use the mirror in a different location.
Enjoy.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:25 pm
Ah crap...I forgot about this one too.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/TOP/SFE4087~Una-bella-serata-Posters.jpg

I really like the idea of a nice wine pic up.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:27 pm
@Bella Dea,
Are you familiar with Goya's etchings of war? There is a horrible one that shows a brutal castration of a man. I worked for a woman who had this hanging in her living room. You would be amazed at what people put on their walls - and some of it is not cheap.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:29 pm
@Bella Dea,
No. Unless it's an original oil by Janet Fish, or some other realist, it will look like a wine ad poster from your local steak house.
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:31 pm
@Green Witch,
I wasn't but now I am. Shocked
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:32 pm
@Green Witch,
OK. (this is good stuff)

I have always had trouble putting my minds eye onto my walls or into my home.

I have this vision that never seems to come out right.

And before I spend money on something, it's nice to get some opinions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:39 pm
@Bella Dea,
Kandinsky!

(Great minds, Bella. I have some postcards (framed) of Bacchus in my kitchen - one by Guido Reni, one by Caravaggio.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:40 pm
Every time I look at it, I'll think "the kandinsky is painted on both sides"

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:43 pm
@Bella Dea,
For years, a museum in Florida had a Kandinsky hanging upside down. It was corrected when an art student doing her PhD work came to see it and informed the curators. She had photos of the work hanging in Kandisky's studio and it was hung correctly in the photo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:43 pm
@Green Witch,
Now there's an idea - a thread for paintings with wine as a feature, a subject, or just a component..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:47 pm
Bella, I once had a calendar with beautiful pictures from the southern part of
France - Provence. I got nice frames and hung the calendar pictures up.
Four in a row and it looks quite nice.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:47 pm
Ok, what about this? I love this picture.

This is about the exact color of my wall. This would be the frame I'd get with it.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/khuren/dining-1.jpg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:52 pm
nevermind.
hubby hates it
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
Ok, this is what I decided on.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/khuren/dining3-1.jpg

Whatdaya think?