Am i the only one...

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:22 pm
Am I the only person who was not excited about the inauguration?

I had no -idea- it was today , and that does not phase me. Not even now.
Not at all. Scouts honor.

Of course, you can blame that on the fact that I dont watch tv. I dont get the news paper and what radio I listen to is talk radio.. and only once in a blue moon do I even turn that on.

When it comes to local and national news, I freely admit I am clueless. And.. sorry.. its nice that way.

but .. this morning.. Im heading to my friends house and she calls me to tell me that it is almost on.
I ask her.. " what is?"
" in about 10 minutes. Where are you?"
" About 2 blocks away"
"ok. i will see you in a minute"

---click.

I get to her house and she is just BUZZING. In fact, this entire day started out with a buzz not unlike Superbowl . You can feel it but you cant see it.

I get into her house.. and she is all over the place. Smiling.. twittery.. happy.. and Im clueless..

She finally says " When he starts to speak, Im debating on recording it"

" WHO?! what are you talking about?"

Thats when she tells me. And I return to my normal self.
" Oh. I didnt know that was today"

The look on her face was priceless. You would think I dropped a baby into a pool and went about eating chips.

Dont get me wrong. I AM HAPPY that this nation has elected a black man. Im not flipping through hoops of fire for it though. And frankly, his speech is one of many hundreds to come. I wont judge him by what he says now, nor will I judge him by his clothing.
I want to see what he can and will DO. And that is not defined by an acceptance speech.

Am I unamerican?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 21 • Views: 7,548 • Replies: 72

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:24 pm
No. But you are unamerican for not being exciting about watching this hunka hunka burning love for the next 4 years.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:49 pm
@shewolfnm,
No, you're not the only one, shewolf.

I like Obama and I have great hopes for this administration but I'm not going to pee in my pants and cry every time he gives a speech.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:54 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I like Obama and I have great hopes for this administration but I'm not going to pee in my pants and cry every time he gives a speech.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

Although... I'm really, really, really glad that we can hand over power this peacefully.
OGIONIK

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:19 pm
@DrewDad,
just another supremely elegant speech.

the aldy who spoke after him tried so dman hard it was pathetic, i watched like 15 minutes of it, wow i just downed an energy druink for the first time in like 2 years, i am TRIPPING.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:32 pm
Quote:
Although... I'm really, really, really glad that we can hand over power this peacefully.

I'm just glad we get to frikken hand over the power. I woke up this morning more with a sense of relief than of anticipation.

I was not one of those people who expected overnight world peace but last time I checked my brother and a few tens of thousands of other soldiers were still scheduled to deploy to Iraq this year. As I watched a bit of the parade and saw the soldiers salute their new CiC my only thought was that he'd better take their lives a little more seriously than that last asshat.
patiodog

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:40 pm
It's a ceremony. Some people love a parade. I don't really care for them, whatever the significance.

As has been mentioned, though, I am hopeful for a new direction. Not terribly optimistic, but hopeful.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:36 pm
@shewolfnm,
Hmmm...I don't generally DO fuss and frippery and such, and I certainly had no desire to watch the inauguration, but I think we humans do crave ritual and celebration, and that ritual does kind of solemnize things and make us think about them.

We are a very no fuss democracy, and certainly there is none of this almost monarchical fuss made when we elect a new Prime Minister, but I guess that we countries who manage peceful transitions of power on a regular basis (and it's not just America, despite some amazingly parochial and ignorant comments that have been made on threads around here... Rolling Eyes ) deserve to have a bit of a party about it?
chai2

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:42 pm
when I think of standing more than a mile an a half away from the site, in the freezing cold, having to pee or something else....

we're both bound for hell shewolf.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:42 pm
@dlowan,
ok, so why don't we have big parties like this? hamburger and a couple of others talked about this a bit on another thread.

Why the big coronation-like events in the U.S. ... parties with ballgowns and baby tiaras ... I could understand it with Bush 41/43 and the big Texas-hair ladies ... but I sure didn't understand it with Clinton and errr it's the 21st century ... why is this still happening?
msolga

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 07:00 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
Am I the only person who was not excited about the inauguration?

Looks like you weren't alone, shewolf.

Me, I saw good cause to celebrate (though 3:54am, Oz time - or something like that - was a little prohibitive. Wink )

I'm thrilled & so relieved to see the last of the Bush era. I hope I never hear terms like "axis of evil", or "coalition of the willing" ever again.

I've seen comments by posters here saying the inauguration has nothing to do with "the rest of the world". Rubbish. My country (& quite a few others) slavishly followed the US into Iraq, led by our own little Bush protege. (Now gone too. Voted out as well. Hooray!) Then there was Guantanamo, then .......

Anyway things have got to be better with this new administration, surely? Not perfect, but better. And I see that as reason to celebrate, definitely.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 07:02 pm
i listened to it right up to the end of the his speech, but i didn't bother to watch the news tonight
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:38 pm
@shewolfnm,
Some of the joy and excitement must be temepred by the herculean task at hand -- digging out from under the crushing deficit, out-of-control economic recession/depression and 2 wars raging..and counting.

Nice work, Dubyah. Dig a hole so deep no one can pull us out in 10 yrs!
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:44 pm
@shewolfnm,
I think the no-TV thing is a big part of it. I see a lot of buzz on the net, people twittering and blogging from the scene and all, but without TV I miss most of it.

Can't say I mind, I'm glad about the transition but don't really care about the ceremony.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:52 pm
Same here.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:58 pm
No, shewolf,
It isn't at all suprising that you don't give a f*ck about the inauguration...

It's real clear from what you post what is and isn't important to you, and the first African-American POTUS wasn't going to be one of them.

But in my opinion, that's your loss.
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:16 pm
@snood,
Yay!
I have earned a notch on Snoods post as being someone he doesnt like Wink

but. Im sorry. you are wrong.
As i even said in my opening post, i am HAPPY that america has elected a black person for president.
Im floored actually. Because a large majority of people who voted for him have been alive long enough to see the change in our society. Some may even have been around to see black and white water fountains.

Trust me. I dont miss that. .. but you dont get me I dont think. And thats ok.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:18 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Some of the joy and excitement must be temepred by the herculean task at hand -- digging out from under the crushing deficit, out-of-control economic recession/depression and 2 wars raging..and counting.

Nice work, Dubyah. Dig a hole so deep no one can pull us out in 10 yrs!

one of the things i wonder about is how people are going to react to him in 4 years when things may not look much better then they do now.

The things GW has done will take a lot longer then 4 years to repair.

I am willing to bet people may have turned a complete 180 on him and be blaming him for the state of the economy.. even though the economy went to **** before he was even elected.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:19 pm
We've watched from start to finish. Coverage is still going on two of our tv's. I can't imagine not watching it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:20 pm
@snood,
So... why the contempt for Shewolf, but none for the rest of us?