Am i the only one...

maporsche

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:43 am
@shewolfnm,
That's what I want shewolfnm....Snood doesn't, he willfully defines himself by the color of his skin. I think you see yourself as an American, and Snood sees himself as an African-American. You see your self as a woman, Snood sees himself as a Black-man. From what I can see, you've progressed further than he has along the 'end of racism' timeline. Some of this might have to do with age. As a man in my 20's (albeit, late 20's) I've never had to see/deal with the institutionalized racism that persisted in the previous generations, so I see all the race-baiting, and 'today is the greatest day of my life because a black man is president' garbage as what it is, garbage and antiquated.

Not sure on your age, but that might have something to do with it.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:46 am
@maporsche,
maporsche, I like the way you are breaking it down - well said again Cool
Ragman

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:47 am
@shewolfnm,
I'm fascinated as to how the lens of perception gets dirtied as we discuss matters (racial in nature) in a thread. I saw Shewolf's intial comment as neutral (having beige-skin color), but I recognized the pontential of it being interpreted differently. As the thread went on, I saw how it tilted. Communicating about race and politics in a forum is not easy, to say the least.

I do want to say here that I'm glad America had this party (inauguration and all the pomp and ceremony). There's something to be said about having a way of welcoming "New Blood" into the Whie House. It may not be the party I would design, but it's far better to have something commemorating (sp?) the change than not having one.

American politics, for better or worse, at times, is about symbols...and this symbol does show one way of how we value our leadership. I'd like to see now all 'asshole-and elbows' as far as getting to work on the problems. always remember it's not JUST about the President - it's about ALL the leadership that this change of power commemorates.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:52 am
And I think it's important to note that Barack Obama, who self-identifies as African-American, wasn't raised with an African-American mindset. He had a Caucasian mother and grandparents who did the rearing, but he certainly caught all of the American experience once he left the house.

I celebrated yesterday with many black people, some of whom call me their friend. And I was raised by a bunch of East Texas crackers.

Nature, nurture, who knows; it's all about conscious choices based on one's intellect. Which is why I don't like ignorance either (and trust me snood, shewolf is the farthest thing from that).
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:53 am
@maporsche,
I agree.
That is exactly how I think.......

except Im not angry with Snood.
He has a very valid point.
His point is that if we as the next generation throw away the image, the memory and the power behind racism , we are opening ourselves up for more.
And that is dangerous. He is absolutely right. No one should ever forget. No one should ever act as though it wasnt important.

My point is that I dont have to live in that to remember. I dont have to define myself as 'black' and use my skin color to determine who I am. I dont have to carry that burden anymore. I will never forget it. But be damned if I would let it happen again. that is the gift of the end of racism.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:08 am
http://www.fireworksland.com/misc/obama-king.jpg
patiodog

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:11 am
@PDiddie,
Man, Dr. King was HUGE.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:12 am
@PDiddie,

One would think they would be fisting each other.

http://blogs.citypages.com/gop/obama%20fist%20bump.jpg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:13 am
@H2O MAN,
I have to agree with both H2O and Maporsche. See, things are already changing! Wink
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:16 am
@Bella Dea,
Can't you just feel the love Cool
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:23 am
The thing I most dislike about the celebration is the numerous balls. They are so stupid and out of date, a throwback to previous centuries. Why do we inflict this idiotic ritual on the Obama's and biden's have they've had a tiring day just to please the hoi palloi? Imagine Barack, Michelle, Joe and Jill having to stand on stage showing off their tuxedos and gowns like they were contestants on American Idol. It reminds me of teenagers dressing in tuxedos and gowns and arriving at highschool proms in limousines. How did this stupid custom get started and why does it continue?

I like the parades because they focus on young people from all the states and it's a thrill for them.

I think Barack and Michelle Obama were probably embarrassed by the pomp and caremony, but they wanted to have a grand event for the millions of people for whom it was important. It was for those people, not for them.

I think the funniest thing during the entire event was the black-robed Chief Justice screwing up his pronoucement of the presidential oath. How fitting that it was he that screwed up. I don't know how Obama was able to hide a giggle.

BBB
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:28 am
@shewolfnm,
I wouldn't say you are the only one. I am to a small degree like you - not all excited about the huge goings on. And really didn't see too much of it - I am extremely busy at work (still time to play a bit while eating lunch though and while things are processing on the computer). I read a bit on line to keep up to date. Also, busy at home - making sure homework is done, dinner ready, clothes washed and more work after the kids were in bed - so I didn't see any of the TV coverage.

I am though interested as in a new president being in office and a new historical moment. But not all the crap around it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:29 am
@shewolfnm,
Oh and I had a friend that asked if I had the day off - like it was a holiday - nope normal people still have to work.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:36 am
@chai2,
I agree - I think I understand because I can't stand all the hoop la - some people like all this pomp and stuff, I want substance. Not saying that Obama isn't substance - just all this crap - parades, balls, etc. Who cares about all the fluff? Some do - what I care about is what is going to happen to our country's future.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:26 pm
@shewolfnm,
I agree with you, shewolfnm. Skin color should be irrelevant. But to millions, it is not. Millions are self-haters who subscribe to the "victimology" mantra.

I could be president of the USA if I wasn't black. Now, President Obama has thrown that idiocy into the wastbasket.

But,it is much more difficult for blacks to succeed because of the endemic racism in society, despite Obama's success.

Tell that to the Irish in nineteenth century New York or the Jews in the inner cities of the USA during the first half of the last century, or to the many immigrants who came here since 1850.

Now, a smart, hard working, well educated person can become president.
Obama proved that.

However, there are still biases in our society. Among the most vicious are those biases by African-Americans against their fellow African-Americans like Dr. Thomas Sowell, Shelby Steele and Bill Cosby who do not believe in the victimology and welfare mentality.

It is no longer a question of color--It is a question of ideology and class.

Lower class blacks, with enormous voting numbers, will always lean towards the welfare state.

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:34 pm
@genoves,
Here's the next question - when will there be a Muslim President?
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:37 pm
@Linkat,
Don't we have one now?

Oooops.....spilled the beans.....
Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:40 pm
@Bella Dea,
Nice -
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:57 pm
@Linkat,
Or my preference, an Athiest one.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:21 pm
@PDiddie,
Now that's a cool photoshopped photo. That would make a great poster.
0 Replies