Could Aretha's Bow be Any Bigger?

snood

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:53 pm
Aw, c'mon - besides "Respect" y'all haven't prolly EVER gave two farts about Aretha one way or another...
Who's big enuf to admit THAT?
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:54 pm
I will admit that. I didn't know who she was until I googled her.
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:54 pm
Some kind of singer, heh?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:58 pm
@snood,
Looks like you're short of fiber again, snood.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:17 pm
@snood,
I've loved Aretha since I saw her on The Merv Griffin Show. My brother and I were dancing around the living room as she sang. She's magic, with or without a hat.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:18 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Gus, stop pretending you're McGentrix.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:47 am
@ehBeth,
...and you're out of gas again. But I bet you couldn't name 3 Aretha Franklin hits without googling either.
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:39 am
@snood,
Aretha is the Queen of Motown, and don't you be forgetting that!
chai2

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:54 am
Honestly Snood, Respect is far from my favorite Franklin song.

My favorite is Chain of Fools

Then there's

Think (what you're tryin' to do to me)
I'm gonna knock on your door ('til you come back to me)
Spanish Harlem

I never loved.....loved a man, the way that I.....I love you. (steamy)

Since you been gone.

You make me feel (written by Carol King)

etc...didn't have to look any of them up

I don't know if I'm supposed to, because I'm white, but I love love love Motown.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:01 am
@snood,
I bet Snood can't name 3 Barry Manilow tunes without Googling?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:38 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

Aretha is the Queen of Motown, and don't you be forgetting that!

Aretha was never on the Motown label.
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:51 am
@eoe,
I know but Detroit is Motown. Aretha IS Detroit. Therefore, Aretha is Motown.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:38 am
@snood,
I hope you were planning to put something good on that bet, because you'd lose.

And hits. Sheesh, who cares about hits. Let's talk about songs she performed well. Do right woman, do right man. Natural woman. Night time is the right time.

She was fabulous once upon a time. She's still better than a lot of performers, but she needs to accept that the voice isn't what it is, and modify what she's trying to perform.

This person certainly heard what I did (or is at least one of the other people willing to admit to it)

Quote:
The freedom to make what we like of a solemn anthem was taken by Dame Aretha with a lordly wave of a gray-coated arm. Top notes went missing and the mike caught a half-screech, but the karaoke style was surely a sign of things to come. “Yes We Can Sing!” Try it tonight.
bloomberg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:41 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Aw, c'mon - besides "Respect" y'all haven't prolly EVER gave two farts about Aretha one way or another...

Confused why would you ever write that?
chai2

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:50 am
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

snood wrote:

Confused why would you ever write that?

I know. I found that kinda strange because either (a) snood thinks the only song Anyone knows by Franklin is Respect, or (b) because a white person can't like her.

eoe....just an aside....this sounds ignorant but I didn't associate some songs being motown just because they recorded on the motown label. I mean, I know about the record label, but to me, it's like a genre of music. Like rock, jazz, etc.

sorry if I sounded dumb.

Keep on truckin' eoe.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:09 pm
I didn't mean to offend, only to correct.

Aretha was not Motown and her sound wasn't Motown, which was very distinctive as we all know. Aretha came out of the Atlantic/Arista crew and her sound, once they found it, was gutsier and more gospel-tinged than say, Diana Ross or Tammi Terrell. Aretha took you to church like Ms. Ross never could or dared to even try.

I guess when you say Motown you mean Detroit but, considering the risk for confusion, when talking about music and Detroit-bred artists in particular, there's a need for clarification or it will appear that you're not hip to what you're talking about.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:21 pm
@eoe,
I confess I thought her name was Uretha until I was in high school Embarrassed I just never noticed the "A".

Snood was rather cranky yesterday.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:44 pm
I'm not hip at all.

Marvin Gaye? Is Marvin Gaye motown?
snood

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 06:48 am
Mandy, Copacabana, (thinking Real Hard)... ok. Got me there.

I was cranky because I have love for Aretha, and didn't like people making fun of her.

On another note, didya know that Aretha gave Obama a gift of several of the original manuscripts of her dad's (Rev C.L. Franklin) sermons and a bible with a message from her written in it? I thought that was very cool.

0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 08:25 am
@chai2,
Aretha Franklin was an Atlantic artist. Marvin Gaye was Motown. He was also one hell of a drummer and his real name was marvin gay....you can see why he'd change it.

and no, this white boy didn't need to google anything. I cut my teeth on soul and r&b.... and am conversant on old Sun artists, stax/volt and the memphis sound, as well as motown and atlantic artists. I even played in a 10 piece soul review. Only white kid in the band. Although I have snood on ignore I see by you posting his quotes that us white folks aren't allowed to know about "his" artists.

tell us snood if you will, about Deep Purple and Pink Floyd.

Hope . Change. Well, maybe not everywhere. Wink