Too Much Obama Merchandise

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:29 pm
It seems to be getting ridiculous now. There is Obama crap everywhere. I voted for the guy, but I'm sick of seeing his face already.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 753 • Replies: 9

eoe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:47 pm
I agree. It's cheap and commercial now and somebody ought to pull the plug on all of it. But who?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:32 am
@maporsche,
It's like television. If you don't like what's on...turn it off.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with lobbying to have television stations shut down...or have television stations subject themselves to censorship by you...

...but just turning the thing off probably is a better idea--wouldn't you say?

If you don't wanna buy any of the merchandise...don't buy it. If it bothers you to see it being sold...don't go into stores where it is being sold.

Do you think it is selling...or has corporate America simply gone insane and decided to hurt their financial positions even more than it has been hurt recently...by producing and bringing to market stuff that people don't want to buy?

Really!

All the respect in the world, maporsche...this question says much, much more about you than about the marketing of Obama merchandise.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:37 am
I thought I was the only one.

I dont buy it because I dont want it. Plain and simple.

but I think i am just a bit offended by the idea that who ever THEY are.. they that are making this stuff.. THEY that are selling this stuff... THEY who are marketing this stuff...

Im offended that THEY think this is all we as the consumer are about.
Some of the things that are made and marketed appeal to the idea that ' it might be worth something someday'.
they stand on the idea of him being the first black president and make stupid **** with his face on it to make a buck off of people.

Frankly.. i dont want a thong that says Obama..

And no, that 15.00 key chain isnt going to promote him either.

But, just as i want to point my finger at 'them'... I realize that they would not be able to make and sell this stuff if there was not a market.

Are most people really that gullible? That.. detached from what they spend their money on?
eoe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

.this question says much, much more about you than about the marketing of Obama merchandise.

What does it say, Frank?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:52 am
@eoe,
It seems to me it speaks of someone too easily frustrated...and too unwilling to simply ignore the stuff if he/she doesn't like it.

I had the same reaction to the post that I have when people write to complain that they don't like the the content of some shows on television.

If you cannot figure out that the solution to this non-problem is completely in your own hands...something is amiss.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:54 am
@shewolfnm,
Shewolf...some of the **** people buy absolutely amazes me.

Lemme tell you how I handle the problem of stuff I am amazed that people buy:

I DON'T BUY IT!

End of story.

C'mon...you are a free spirit. Surely you see that is the only way to handle it. People will always market stuff they think they can make money on...no matter that the stuff may be a pile of ****.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
Trust me. Im not getting stressed about what is for sale.

its just a point of thought.

a fool and his money are soon departed.

wanna buy a keychain?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:41 am
@shewolfnm,
No key chains for me, thank you, Wolf. And no unnecessary shopping, either.

I really gotta watch the bucks. Not a lot of them in reserve in my case.

Haven't watched a single minute of the TV coverage as yet. Probably will watch the swearing in tomorrow.

I don't do hero worship...

...but there are some people right now who are truly enjoying this event...

...and I just think it is not particularly pretty to watch some of the folks who are trying to rain on their parade. I don't think that is what Map or you were doing here...but I thought it worthwhile to comment.

We all have moments when we feel exhilaration...and for the people feeling that right now...

...my good wishes go with them. I can understand it. I think the election of Barak Obama was a significant rite of passage for us as a nation...and lemme tell ya, what this country needs after the last eight years is plenty of growing up.

Anyway, if buying a bunch of dumb merchandise makes these good folks happy...my blessings (!) are with 'em.

Money spent is money helping the economy grow...and it has got lots of growing to do.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:56 am
I find that I have the ability to "tune out" a lot of things. For instance, when a commercial comes on TV, my mind wanders, and often cannot pinpoint a commercial to its product. (except for the AFLAC commercials, which I love).

It is the same thing with Obama products. I have been vaguely aware that there is a lot of Obama merchandising, but have paid little attention to it. I would suggest, that if a person does not care for this merchandising, he/she can do the same.
0 Replies