Who’s watching our Presidents Inauguration this Monday?

jcboy

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 04:19 pm
We’ve been invited to a brunch at friends home where we will watch President Obama’s Inauguration. Wouldn’t miss it! I’m so relieved we don't have to listen to some Nim Wit Mit represent our country.

MLK Day is a Holiday for us so the Puerto Rican and I will both attend. Anyone attending similuar functions, or just watching from home?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 25 • Views: 5,136 • Replies: 44

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 04:41 pm
@jcboy,
I have no plans on watching the inauguration. Just not my cup of tea.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 04:43 pm
Have no desire to watch the inauguration. Now, if Queen Elizabeth abdicated in favor of William, THAT I would watch. What a show that would be.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 04:44 pm
@jcboy,
I haven't watched a presidential inauguration since Eisenhower disdained the top hat and wore a homburg to his swearing-in ceremony. What year was that? It may have been the first 'live' broadcast inauguration on TV. And my last (I hope).
jcboy

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 04:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
If that was before 1983 I wasn't around Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 05:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It was 1953 . . . you've lost JC now.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 05:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I haven't watched a presidential inauguration since Eisenhower disdained the top hat and wore a homburg to his swearing-in ceremony. What year was that? It may have been the first 'live' broadcast inauguration on TV. And my last (I hope).

I was going to make a Franklin Pierce 1853 inauguration joke but I forgot the punchline. Wink
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 05:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, we're only talking about televised inaugurations. I remember the Lincoln inaugural in 1860, but that doesn't count.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 06:07 pm
I've probably watched a bit of most of them but the only inauguration I recall is JFK's in 1961.
I would have been all of 14 so it was my first one as a young adult and the young JFK was taking over from the war hero, Ike. The torch was being passed etc.
But I was more than a casual observer. In the 1958-59 school year, Charlottesville schools were closed by the state of Virginia in a last futile attempt to avoid integration, and the next year 4 black kids joined my 8th grade class at Lane High. And the world didn't end. I was on my way to becoming a Liberal.
But I digress from the inauguration of January 20th. I remember it was really cold and it had snowed the night before. It was brilliantly sunny.
A very old and frail Robert Frost tried to read a poem he had written for the occasion, but the glare from the sun made it very difficult. I vividly remember - or think I do - JFK using his hat to try to help Frost.
It's funny that that is the image I have from 50 years ago: The young JFK futilely trying to block the sun.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 06:39 pm
@realjohnboy,
Now that you mention it, realjohnboy, I lied. I, too, remember the Robt. Frost reading at the JFK swearing-in. Inasmuch as I was still a Massachusetts resident then, we all felt an obligation to watch'one of our own' being inaugurated. I was a senior at Boston U. that year.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 07:08 pm
I'm ignorant of when the inauguration takes place. I'm relatively positive thinking on the president, with a lot of argument: we could talk.
Whatever, I am afraid.

I see snipers tripping over each other to nail him.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 09:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
. . . I was a senior at Boston U. that year.

You were joking about Lincoln, though. Right? I'm starting to wonder.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 09:34 pm
@George,
We've met in the flesh, George. Remember? You don't recall the ear-trumpet I use and the wooden wheel-chair I travel in?
roger

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 10:20 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I used to have a skeleton of Abe Lincoln taken when he was a very small boy. No big deal.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 01:40 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I used to have a skeleton of Abe Lincoln taken when he was a very small boy. .

I have this strange feeling that if I think about that sentence long enough, I will figure it out. I will, I will.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 01:52 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I've probably watched a bit of most of them but the only inauguration I recall is JFK's in 1961.
I would have been all of 14 so it was my first one as a young adult and the young JFK was taking over from the war hero, Ike. The torch was being passed etc.
But I was more than a casual observer. In the 1958-59 school year, Charlottesville schools were closed by the state of Virginia in a last futile attempt to avoid integration, and the next year 4 black kids joined my 8th grade class at Lane High. And the world didn't end. I was on my way to becoming a Liberal.
But I digress from the inauguration of January 20th. I remember it was really cold and it had snowed the night before. It was brilliantly sunny.
A very old and frail Robert Frost tried to read a poem he had written for the occasion, but the glare from the sun made it very difficult. I vividly remember - or think I do - JFK using his hat to try to help Frost.
It's funny that that is the image I have from 50 years ago: The young JFK futilely trying to block the sun.

Very interesting - good post. I was there too - Marching with the Naval Academy company of midshipmen, though we got only a brief glimpse of the Presidential stands. It was a very cold but glitteringly bright winter day - I do remember that, because we had a lot of stand around time before getting started. I was a liberal then too, but the subsequent eight years cured me of that forever.
JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 02:15 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I was a liberal then too, but the subsequent eight years cured me of that forever.

The cause of that would be the requirement that you surrender your thinking processes to the military. How come they never gave them back to you, Gob?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 05:07 pm
@jcboy,
I'll be watching it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 05:29 pm
I watched today's. Not sure yet about Monday's.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 05:41 pm
@ all

why?

0 Replies