Data and Art: an exhibit

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:48 pm
Data + Art: Science and Art in the Age of Information

Pasadena Museum of California Art
490 East Union Street, Pasadena, CA. 91101
E-mail, [email protected]
Web site, http://www.pmcaonline.org/calendar.html (This looks interesting to me)
Public hours, Wednesday " Sunday, 12-5pm

from the announcement -

Organized by the Pasadena Museum of California Art (PMCA) and curated by Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) Visual Strategist Dan Goods and Mars Public Engagement Outreach Coordinator David Delgado, Data + Art: Science and Art in the Age of Information explores how scientific data can be experienced and translated by artists into new and startling forms. This exhibition challenges the viewer’s assumptions by exploring the beauty inherent in the information and asking viewers to see science in a new light. These artistic interpretations of scientific data will empower the average person to see the invisible, hear the inaudible and understand the impossibly complex.

http://artscenecal.com/0109/PMCA0109a.jpg
LEFT-RIGHT: Aaron Koblin, Flight Patterns (still); Alex Dragulescu, Spam Architecture.

A new generation of artists has begun to manipulate and use data as an artistic medium and explore its meaning and impact on our lives. Some artists use information from public websites and blogs, others collaborate with scientists to cull data from ongoing research, and others rely on highly personal information from their own lives. Together these artists are leading us to a new understanding of the ones and zeroes that surround us in the information age.

Spam Architecture by Alex Dragulescu presents images generated by a computer program that accepts input and junk email. Various patterns, keywords and rhythms found in the text are translated into three-dimensional modeling gestures.

Much of these works are created by sifting through vast amounts of digital information to reveal hidden stories about the natural world and the human condition. Data for this exhibition will come from a broad range of sources including JPL, Caltech, social networking web sites, email spam, scientific research data, and the presidential election. The art produced from this data will include sound, images, installations, performance and interstellar communications.

Although art and science institutions have occasionally collaborated with one another, they have historically been seen as polar opposites. Pasadena is home to the illustrious institutions JPL and Caltech, and the similarities between science and art are now brought to life in this collaborative exhibition at the PMCA, which also features an accompanying exhibition about the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, Eye in the Sky: JPL’S Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. This new satellite built by JPL offers a new glimpse at the surface of Mars through a high-powered imaging spectrometer, and the resulting “photos” expand the traditional boundaries of art.

This exhibition is supported by the Pasadena Arts & Culture Commission and the City of Pasadena Cultural Affairs Division, The James Irvine Foundation, The Ralph M. Parsons Foundation, Tournament of Roses Foundation, Xerox Foundation, Union Bank of California Foundation, and Michael and Barbara Brickman.

Also on view in the Project Gallery: Micronautics: The Photographs of David Scharf
The PMCA is pleased to present this exhibition of the images of David Scharf, a pioneering scientist and EMMY-award winning photographer in the field of scanning electron microscopy for the last 30 years. Once called the “Ansel Adams of inner space” by Time magazine, Scharf’s intriguing photographs provide a closer look at everyday materials on a microscopic level, revealing the hidden nature of pollen, crystals, insects and more.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,227 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I love this kind of stuff. When I learned how to generate fractals fro m the equations it opened a whole new door of play.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:34 pm
@farmerman,
And I've been a fool for electron microscopy, ahhhhh, macrophages at play....
I'm pretty simple, I'm happy with just about any microscope slide, even an average cbc smear. Once saw a giant painting of red blood cells, as in a magnified smear, something like 5 x 10 feet in size, at the orange county museum of art (well, that museum's name has changed, not sure what it was then).

I'd like to see the exhibit, plus hear some of those lectures/discussions.
farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Jewever look at crystals under cross Nichol polarizers, vera cool.
Look up petrograhic microscopy samples.
When I used to do that , I always remembered how much money it cost me to see all the colors like that.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:36 am
wow, how did i miss this first time around
0 Replies