The Humiliation of America

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:24 am
The Humiliation of America

By Paul Craig Roberts

January 14, 2009 "Information Clearinghouse" -- - “Early Friday morning the secretary of state was considering bringing the cease-fire resolution to a UNSC vote and we didn’t want her to vote for it.” Olmert said. “I said ‘get President Bush on the phone.’ They tried and told me he was in the middle of a lecture in Philadelphia. I said ‘I’m not interested, I need to speak to him now.’ He got down from the podium, went out and took the phone call.”

“Let me see if I understand this,” wrote a friend in response to news reports that Israeli Prime Minister Olmert ordered President Bush from the podium where he was giving a speech to receive Israel’s instructions about how the United States had to vote on the UN resolution. “On September 11th, President Bush is interrupted while reading a story to school children and told the World Trade Center had been hit--and he went on reading. Now, Olmert calls about a UN resolution when Bush is giving a speech and Bush leaves the stage to take the call. There exists no greater example of a master-servant relationship.”

Olmert gloated as he told Israelis how he had shamed US Secretary of State Condi Rice by preventing the American Secretary of State from supporting a resolution that she had helped to craft. Olmert proudly related how he had interrupted President Bush’s speech in order to give Bush his marching orders on the UN vote.

Israeli politicians have been bragging for decades about the control they exercise over the US government. In his final press conference, President Bush, deluded to the very end, said that the whole world respects America. In fact, when the world looks at America, what it sees is an Israeli colony.

Responding to mounting reports from the Red Cross and human rights organizations of Israel’s massive war crimes in Gaza, the United Nations Human Rights Council voted 33-1 on January 12 to condemn Israel for grave offenses against human rights.

On January 13, the London Times reported that Israelis have gathered on a hillside overlooking Gaza to enjoy the slaughter of Palestinians in what the Times calls “the ultimate spectator sport.”

It is American supplied F-16 fighter jets, helicopter gunships, missiles, and bombs that are destroying the civilian infrastructure of Gaza and murdering the Palestinians who have been packed into the tiny strip of land. What is happening to the Palestinians herded into the Gaza Ghetto is happening because of American money and weapons. It is just as much an attack by the United States as an attack by Israel. The US government is complicit in the war crimes.

Yet in his farewell press conference on January 12, Bush said that the world respects America for its compassion.

The compassion of bombing a UN school for girls?

The compassion of herding 100 Palestinians into one house and then shelling it?

The compassion of bombing hospitals and mosques?

The compassion of depriving 1.5 million Palestinians of food, medicine, and energy?

The compassion of violently overthrowing the democratically elected Hamas government?

The compassion of blowing up the infrastructure of one of the poorest and most deprived people on earth?

The compassion of abstaining from a Security Council vote condemning these actions?

And this is a repeat of what the Israelis and Americans did to Lebanon in 2006, what the Americans did to Iraqis for six years and are continuing to do to Afghans after seven years. And still hope to do to the Iranians and Syrians.

In 2002 I designated George W. Bush “the White House Moron.” If there ever was any doubt about this designation, Bush’s final press conference dispelled it.

Bush talked about connecting the dots, but Bush has failed to connect any dots for eight solid years. “Our” president was a puppet for a cabal led by Dick Cheney and a handful of Jewish neoconservatives, who took control of the Pentagon, the State Department, the National Security Council, the CIA, and “Homeland Security.” From these power positions, the neocon cabal used lies and deception to invade Afghanistan and Iraq, pointless wars that have cost Americans $3 trillion, while millions of Americans lose their jobs, their pensions, and their access to health care.

“These obviously very difficult economic times,” Bush said in his press conference, “started before my presidency.”

Bush has plenty of liberal company in failing to connect a $3 trillion dollar war with hard times. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities blames Bush’s tax cut, not the wars, for “the fiscal deterioration.”

Bush told the White House Press Corps, a useless collection of non-journalists, that the two mistakes of his invasion of Iraq were: (1) Putting up the “mission accomplished” banner on the aircraft carrier, which, he said, “sent the wrong message,” and (2) the absence of the alleged weapons of mass destruction that he used to justify the invasion.

Although Bush now admits that there were not any such weapons in Iraq, Bush said that the invasion was still the right thing to do.

The deaths of 1.25 million Iraqis, the displacement of 4 million Iraqis, and the destruction of a country’s infrastructure and economy are merely the collateral damage associated with “bringing freedom and democracy” to the Middle East.

Unless George W. Bush is the best actor in human history, he truly believes what he told the White House Press Corps.

What Bush did not explain is how America is respected when its people put a moron in charge for eight years.

Click on "comments" below to read or post comments

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article21755.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,540 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:03 am
@Solve et Coagula,
Perhaps the Israelis have been influenced by decades of having Palestinians appear in their public places with bombs, murdering busses of school children, etc.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:15 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon wrote:

Quote:
Perhaps the Israelis have been influenced by decades of having Palestinians appear in their public places with bombs, murdering busses of school children, etc.

Those of us bothered by the stuff mentioned in this article...have no problem understanding that Israel has PLENTY of reason to want to influence the United States to carry water for them. If I were an Israeli...I've be doing even more in this direction.

What bothers us is that our politicians acceed to the Israeli moves in this direction so easily, so often, so constitantly, and often at such cost to our sense of fair play. Oh...and at such cost to our standing among other countries whose considerations should be important to us.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Brandon wrote:

Quote:

Those of us bothered by the stuff mentioned in this article...have no problem understanding that Israel has PLENTY of reason to want to influence the United States to carry water for them. If I were an Israeli...I've be doing even more in this direction.

What bothers us is that our politicians acceed to the Israeli moves in this direction so easily, so often, so constitantly, and often at such cost to our sense of fair play. Oh...and at such cost to our standing among other countries whose considerations should be important to us.

If the Israelis are justified in defending themselves from violent attacks, then we are justified in helping them, and any attendant loss of status we suffer for doing the right thing is irrelevant.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:56 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
If the Israelis are justified in defending themselves from violent attacks, then we are justified in helping them, and any attendant loss of status we suffer for doing the right thing is irrelevant.

Is that just because you say it is...or is there something written on a tablet somewhere that says it?

In any case, there is a huge difference between Israelis defending themselves...and Israelis doing some of the disproporational stuff they are doing in Gaza.

And whether they are right or justified in what they are doing really is not the determinant of whether we are justified in helping them.

Everybody who attacks anybody else THINKS they are justified. Hitler thought he was justified in attacking Poland. Tojo thought he was justified in attacking China.

Would you have considered it “justified” for the US to help them?

We have become water carriers for Israel. Not a good thing! And most assuredly not being done as a matter of principle.

The loss of stature is relevant, Brandon!
McTag

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:02 am
@Solve et Coagula,
Amazing.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Is that just because you say it is...or is there something written on a tablet somewhere that says it?

In any case, there is a huge difference between Israelis defending themselves...and Israelis doing some of the disproporational stuff they are doing in Gaza.

And whether they are right or justified in what they are doing really is not the determinant of whether we are justified in helping them.

Everybody who attacks anybody else THINKS they are justified. Hitler thought he was justified in attacking Poland. Tojo thought he was justified in attacking China.

Would you have considered it “justified” for the US to help them?

We have become water carriers for Israel. Not a good thing! And most assuredly not being done as a matter of principle.

The loss of stature is relevant, Brandon!

If, as you say, the Israeli response is understandable because of the decades of violent attacks by Palestinian organizations on their people, then supporting them is also justified. I have to disagree with you when you say that one shouldn't do the right thing if it means one loses status.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:20 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
If, as you say, the Israeli response is understandable because of the decades of violent attacks by Palestinian organizations on their people, then supporting them is also justified.

Don’t put words in my mouth, Brandon…and then argue against the words you put there as though I had said them.

What I said was: “Those of us bothered by the stuff mentioned in this article...have no problem understanding that Israel has PLENTY of reason to want to influence the United States to carry water for them. If I were an Israeli...I've be doing even more in this direction.”

To characterize that as me saying “the Israeli response is understandable because of the decades of violent attacks by Palestinian organizations on their people” is bullshit.

Quote:
I have to disagree with you when you say that one shouldn't do the right thing if it means one loses status.

Do you make this **** up by yourself, Brandon…or do you have a staff helping you invent words for other people?

You show me where I said that.

Do a cut and paste!

djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:23 am
the humiliation of america?

didn't every presidency from nixon on accomplish that already
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:32 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
If, as you say, the Israeli response is understandable because of the decades of violent attacks by Palestinian organizations on their people, then supporting them is also justified.

Don’t put words in my mouth, Brandon…and then argue against the words you put there as though I had said them.

What I said was: “Those of us bothered by the stuff mentioned in this article...have no problem understanding that Israel has PLENTY of reason to want to influence the United States to carry water for them. If I were an Israeli...I've be doing even more in this direction.”

To characterize that as me saying “the Israeli response is understandable because of the decades of violent attacks by Palestinian organizations on their people” is bullshit.

Quote:
I have to disagree with you when you say that one shouldn't do the right thing if it means one loses status.

Do you make this **** up by yourself, Brandon…or do you have a staff helping you invent words for other people?

You show me where I said that.

Do a cut and paste!

So, put words in your own mouth - is the Israeli response to decades of terrorist attacks agains their civilians justifed or unjustified?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:08 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon...take a look back at what I have already written...and then, if you have disagreements with that...voice them and we can discuss your disagreements.

Do not make up any more strawmen...simply because you can argue against your own arguments better than against the actual arguments of others.

When you get finished with that...or when you acknowledge that in fact you did create strawmen...then you can ask me a question or two.

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Brandon...take a look back at what I have already written...and then, if you have disagreements with that...voice them and we can discuss your disagreements.

Do not make up any more strawmen...simply because you can argue against your own arguments better than against the actual arguments of others.

When you get finished with that...or when you acknowledge that in fact you did create strawmen...then you can ask me a question or two.

I have just asked a perfectly well defined question. You complained that I was attributing opinions to you which you don't have, so I asked you for your actual opinion in your own words about something specific. I must conclude that being pinned down to give a straight answer to a simple question, your preference was to stop the debate.

BTW, you were away for awhile, weren't you? If so, welcome back.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:35 am
@Brandon9000,
Thank you for the welcome back, Brandon. It's really good to be back.

You wrote:
Quote:
I have just asked a perfectly well defined question. You complained that I was attributing opinions to you which you don't have, so I asked you for your actual opinion in your own words about something specific. I must conclude that being pinned down to give a straight answer to a simple question, your preference was to stop the debate.

I have absolutely, positively no intention whatsoever, under any circumstance…to stop this debate.

I will gladly continue to debate or discuss this issue from now until my fingers wear out.

I have asked you to acknowledge that you had created strawmen in your last two posts…or that you had seriously distorted what I had said.

I want that before going on to another topic…or another question…so that we can understand that it is something that you have done…and which shouldn’t be done in serious, ethical debate.

Do you acknowledge that your supposed paraphrasing of what I actually wrote…DISTORTED what I said?

Then ask your question again and I’ll answer it.

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Thank you for the welcome back, Brandon. It's really good to be back.

You wrote:
Quote:

I have absolutely, positively no intention whatsoever, under any circumstance…to stop this debate.

I will gladly continue to debate or discuss this issue from now until my fingers wear out.

I have asked you to acknowledge that you had created strawmen in your last two posts…or that you had seriously distorted what I had said.

I want that before going on to another topic…or another question…so that we can understand that it is something that you have done…and which shouldn’t be done in serious, ethical debate.

Do you acknowledge that your supposed paraphrasing of what I actually wrote…DISTORTED what I said?

Then ask your question again and I’ll answer it.

I didn't intend to create straw men, but if you say that I misrepresented your opinion, then so be it.

Are the Israelis justified or unjustified in responding with war to decades of extraordinarily violent attacks aimed purposely at their civilians (including children)?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:06 am
@Brandon9000,
Are the Israelis justified or unjustified in responding with war to decades of extraordinarily violent attacks aimed purposely at their civilians (including children)?

Unjustified because of proportionality.
Zippo

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:13 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

Perhaps they have legitimate reasons for responding with rocket attacks, bombs.... Years of ethnic cleansing by Israels Zionist regime.

http://www.stanvanhoucke.net/audioblog/images/1851684670_01__ss500_sclzzzzzzz_v37239464_.jpg
High Seas

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:30 am
@Solve et Coagula,
Paul Craig Roberts was misled by Olmert's commentary, subsequently disputed by both the State Department and the White House.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28699656/

Quote:
"He (Bush) gave an order to the secretary of state, and she did not vote in favor of it"a resolution she cooked up, phrased, organized and maneuvered for. She was left pretty shamed. ..."

With Bush and Rice leaving office in hours, and Olmert in weeks, the story may seem to lack significance.

Yet, public gloating by an Israeli prime minister that he can order a U.S. president off a podium and instruct him to reverse and humiliate his secretary of state may cause even Ehud’s poodle to rise up on its hind legs one day and bite its master.

Taking such liberties with a superpower that, for Israel’s benefit, has shoveled out $150 billion and subordinated its own interests in the Arab and Islamic world would seem a hubristic and stupid thing to do.

Zippo

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:40 am
Who writes the rules of reality?

I've noticed one telling fact about all of the pro-Israel commentary peppering the blogs. No independent evidence is ever cited.

Pro-Israel writers get their "facts" from sources which trace back, ultimately, to the government of Israel itself. None of their facts ever come from the United Nations, from the Red Cross, from Oxfam, from Amnesty, from independent journalists.

Why is that? Why are virtually all reports from independent sources consistently at odds with the "reality" that the Israelis want us to accept?

Anti-Semitism. It's just that simple.

At least, so the Israelis and their Jewish supporters in America would have us believe.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:55 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
subsequently disputed by both the State Department and the White House.

"subsequently disputed" by a world renowned pack of liars, ... well maybe so maybe not.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Unjustified because of proportionality.

Compared to say walking into a discotheque with a nail bomb strapped to your waist or blowing up a school bus packed with children, the way the Palestinian terrorists do?