A question for my Canadian friends.

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:29 pm
My sister has been living in Canada for the last several years. She's a music instructor and has been eking out a living with her boyfriend who is a ski instructor. My sister is from the States and the boyfriend is from Yugoslavia. I guess they would be considered illegal aliens because they've been there well past the initial three month visa or whatever they call it. So, here's the deal: My sister had a ruptured appendix and was rushed to the nearest hospital. She was operated on and is expected to stay in the hospital for three to four days. No health insurance. Is she going to have to bite the bullet on this one since she isn't a Canadian citizen? I'm taking a guess that the hospital bill will be around $24,000.00.
Any advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,563 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:37 pm
Which province, Gus. Each province has it's own health care system.
I'm sorry to hear of her illness. I hope she's recovering well.
Ceili
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:40 pm
Province is key, gustav, and I am also sorry to hear about this. In Ontario, no health card, no insurance. Ca c'est tout.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:48 pm
She's in British Columbia. Looks like I might have to open my pocketbook.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:50 pm
Oh, and thanks for the kind words.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:54 pm
hmmmm, never pictured you as a pocketbook-carrying guy, gus.

In regard to the costs involved, even without the benefit of government insurance, medical costs in Canada are usually not comparable to the costs in the U.S. I'll try to get some more info for you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:57 pm
I'm glad to hear that your sister got treatment first, and the insurance etc questions later. B.C. is pretty well respected for its health care.

Hey - where's blatham? He'd know the B.C. stuff best.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:07 pm
Hope she feels better soon, Gus.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:19 pm
this is a bit of annoying site (PDF download etc.) but there is some useful info hidden in here. click for the link - look around page 15 +

basic hospital charge - about $850 cdn/day

One of the reasons OHIP and other Canadian provincial health systems fly Canadians back from the U.S. if they're sick or injured is because the basic costs (even the uninsured ones) are so much less here. It's something I work with regularly. We pay for med-flights with attending doctors and nurses to get people back - and still save money on the total treatment cost.

It's too late now (maybe) but look at getting her (or making her do it) sign up for basic coverage. In B.C., it seems to be about a $40 Cdn/month premium. It's probably worth seeing if you can get retroactive coverage if you pay the back premium - a nice anonymous phone call? If you haven't found out by early next week, let me know. I can call someone who can probably find out fairly easily.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:21 pm
Thanks, Beth and Dlowan. I hope I figure this out soon so I can go back to my capybara farmin' ways.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:24 pm
errrrrr - is she doing music instructing on her own? or is it possible someone has paid some premiums on her behalf?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:28 pm
could you convince anyone she's an international student?

http://www.university.ca/eng/canadainfo/healthcare/bchealth.htm
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 03:44 am
I'm so sorry to hear about your sister Gus. I wish I could be of some help, but I've only been here for a little over 3 years myself, so I'm still in the learning stage. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:32 pm
Gus - how is your sister doing?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 07:04 am
She's on the mend, thank you, and heading back to the States to recuperate at another sister's house. I think the worst pain she is going through is the thought of paying the hospital bill. Many siblings to help out, most of them who, unlike me, have tons of disposable cash. I can probably toss in ten or twenty bucks. Better than nothing.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 07:07 am
Good news gustav. Keep us updated.
0 Replies