When was the last time you ate or cooked brown rice?

djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:56 pm
@ehBeth,
it's got a very pleasant nutty flavour, i got some for tai chi, i'll have to ask her how she liked it
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:02 pm
@ehBeth,
I wasn't clear since I didn't get it at first, but that original lotus foods link has, if you click on recipes, batches of recipes for the varieties of rices --
here: http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/lotus/recipeall.d2w/report

Here in Abq, I can find these rices at Whole Foods (far across town), and a couple of them at my local sort of gourmet butcher shop. I find them expensive, but.. the textures and tastes are pretty dense and don't just scarf like I might with some other rices.

Meantime I'm back to japanese/cal-rose which is about where I started out in the seventies. I've plans to work on the tofu pocket things stuffed with rice and rice vinegar, since I ran across a can of the tofu pockets at a local store (don't want to look for the can now, and it's a long name, maybe starting with M). I used to make those and like them. (I figure I can put stuff in them besides rice...) After that, I'll still have a giant bag of cal-rose rice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:12 pm
As an aside, and maybe something I'll have to add to Msolga's cookbooks for reading thread, there's a recent fairly thorough article in the New Yorker about the cookbook writing couple, Jeff Alford and Nom Duguid, entitled "The Hungry Travellers". I've read about the books but haven't nabbed one, buying used as I do, if then. Turns out they live, when they're not travelling, near Kensington Market in Toronto. She does belly-dancing...
I figure I'd like Toronto..

Not sure it is available if you're not a NYer subscriber, and I don't want to just quote the whole thing. Maybe it's available, so I'll look for a link. Back later.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Ah. It's only available to the non-subscriber in abstract - but gives a bit of an idea. I forgot the article is by Jane Kramer, of whose books I've read a few, she says, ungrammatically.
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/11/24/081124fa_fact_kramer

Me, I'll be looking for their books used on Amazon. I might or might not end up liking them, but I like the idea. They look at foods around the world, how various places in the world treat those foods (I take it).

The article commented that Mark Bittman (a fav of mine from the NYTimes with a blog, Bitten) thought there are too few recipes in their books. Lot, I gather about culture and food.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:29 pm
@ossobuco,
My wife mixes brown rice with white, and I've also eaten red rice in Bhutan.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hey, CI, you're back again, glad to see you. Listen, kiddo, I asked you to check out red rice before you took off hither and yon. So, how was it? she asks, sternly.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:55 pm
@ossobuco,
I like red rice even though the color is actually pinkish. It's a somewhat sticky rice like Japanese rice.
0 Replies