When was the last time you ate or cooked brown rice?

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:48 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

"Black" rice?

You know, I didn't even know such a variety existed, osso.

It's luverly.
djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:49 am
i've eaten brown rice, but don't buy it to cook myself, big fan of the basmati

might have to try butterfly's mix idea, sounds good
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 09:00 am
I quite like red - will look at that recipe OssoB's linked to.

Right now, our go-t0 is a Lundberg brown rice blend that Shoppers Drug Mart had on special a little while back.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51N7981RR9L._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

Ingredients
Long Grain Brown Rice, Wehani, Black Japonica

http://www.fbworld.com/Vendors/lundberg/products/country_wild%20blend/cntry_wild_blend_c.jpg
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 09:07 am
big fan of this tea with rice
http://www.teaopia.ca/prodimages/34-DEFAULT-L.jpg

GENMAICHA

Genmaicha is the Japanese name for Green Tea and is also commonly referred to as the popcorn tea. Sencha is mixed with wholemeal rice, which has been fire roasted where it often ‘pops’ not unlike popcorn which is how it received its alternate name. Genmaicha has a sweet, nutty and a slight popcorn flavour which is known to aid in digestion. Due to the fact that it is naturally low in caffeine, this light Green Tea can be consumed at night without the risk of disturbing sleep.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 09:15 am
I'd never gone to the Lundberg website before.

They've got some good recipes, including my favourite ... SOUP!!!

http://www.lundberg.com/recipes/soup.aspx

Quote:

* Carrot-Rice Soup
* Cremini Mushroom and Roasted Garlic Rice Soup
* Hearty Chicken Rice Soup
* Mushroom and Rice Soup
* Pumpkin and Rice Soup
* Sherried Black Bean Soup
* Spicy Bean & Sausage Soup
* Tortilla Rice Soup
* Tuscany Rice and Bean Soup
* Whole Grain & Brown Rice Turkey Soup
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 10:10 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
My favorite brown rice recipe is Rice pudding

1 cup of cooked brown rice with some sugar, an asian pear, cinnamon and rice syrup.
MMmmmm.. man it is good. Topped with raisins.

That looks really good, shewolf! Though I'm not sure what rice syrup is. If it's not readily available in my neck of the woods, what would you suggest as a possible substitute? (And how much should a use?)

Rice syrup is a sweetener that is made from rice. It is a very light flavor and not ghastly sweet like most other sweeteners.

You could always just use honey, or if you have real cane sugar, just add a bit more to it, though the rice syrup does help with the texture.

I cook one cup of brown rice with an extra 1/4 cup of water so that it comes out soupy and sticky.
I peel 2 large asian pears , core them and put them into my blender turning them into mush. I sprinkle 3 tablespoons of cinnamon on them and two tablespoons of sugar.

I then use my food processor, put the rice in it, then add the pears and mix it for a little until it gets gooey.. Seems like it only takes about one minute on low power.

i then pour that into a pan and heat it up because I like my rice pudding to be warm.
I may add a little milk/cream to it after I heat it , but that is only for taste.

Sprinkle cold raisins on top of hot pudding and voila..
it is SOO good.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 10:14 am
@shewolfnm,
Not exactly sure what to call that, but it's not a pudding. Maybe hot rice cereal with fruit.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 10:19 am
i made a very nice rice pudding, as a dessert for an indian dinner i prepared many years ago

it was made with rice flour and was more like a custard than a typical rice pudding, it was flavoured with rose water and had cardamon and ground pistachio sprinkled on the top
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 04:59 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bear

Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:07 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
It's luverly.

So, Deb, where do I buy this stuff ?

And could I ask how you prepare it?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:11 pm
@shewolfnm,
Thanks for your response, shewolf. I'm genuinely interested in giving pudding recipe a go!
And I'm going to take a good, hard look at the shelves of a terrific (generic) Asian food supply place I frequent for the rice syrup.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:13 pm
Warm Rice Pudding
http://www.applesforhealth.com/HealthyDesserts/ricepudding1.html

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:20 pm
There's a lot of interesting follow up reading here for me to get into here! Very Happy
Thank you everyone. I honestly thought the subject of brown rice would have zilch interest for anyone these days! I'm really surprised (& pleased!) with what I've discovered.
I remember, quite a while ago during a late night A2K conversation with Cav ... that he was really surprised that the only two rice varieties I ever cooked with were Basmati & Jasmine! He (being an enthusiast!) suggested I was missing out on some terrific rice experiences & should start investigating & experimenting with the many different varieties out there.
So, years later, here goes .....! Very Happy

(I really miss Cav.)
djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:27 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
(I really miss Cav.)

yeah, a few weeks back somebody started a thread about googling your name

one of the results that came up was the memorial page for cav, it was sad but at the same time fun to read the responses
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:29 pm
@msolga,
Do you have places where you can get loose rice in bulk? You could maybe just buy 300 or so grams of a few different types, cook 'em up, compare and contrast.

The Bulk Barn here (not one of the best sources, but easily accessible and affordable) usually has about 10 - 15 types of rice in bins.
djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:39 pm
@ehBeth,
hey i you're going to the bulk barn, i'll take some wine gums Very Happy
msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:40 pm
@ehBeth,
There most likely are such places around here, ehBeth, but my problem is storage. You hve no idea of how tiny my little cottage is! ....& as for the size of the kitchen! Laughing

But a sequence of small buys seems an excellent idea! Thanks
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:44 pm
@djjd62,
You shoulda told me before I left to get the root beer. They've got good sour candies and wine gums at the bulk barn.
djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:45 pm
@ehBeth,
oh yeah
ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:49 pm
@djjd62,
Next Spadina trip, I'm going to look for that rice tea. I'm intreeeeeeeeged.