Chumly's Cubicle Etiquette Problem

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:40 pm
@Mame,
Aha, I think I agree with Mame on this. Document notes (did I ever tell you how I hate notes, much less on this kind of stuff?)
Chumly

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Document I shall!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:59 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Aha, I think I agree with Mame on this. Document notes (did I ever tell you how I hate notes, much less on this kind of stuff?)

And I was agreeing with BFN who, as usual, has sage advice. You can never CYA too much!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 01:35 pm
I am going to let it pass and ignore her from now on!

I did not mention this earlier but in hindsight she has always been rather red-necked, insecure, uneducated, aggressive and self-centered. By uneducated I do not mean that she is incapable of learning the requisite material (albeit at a level much less than the one I must teach at) but that she has little sense of literature, science, philosophy, music, arts, higher math, culture, ethics, aesthetics.

I strongly also suspect now that she is teaching, she suffers from a bloated ego............what I call the "Star of the Bar Syndrome".

This is something I have seen hundreds of times with local musician's believing that the responses of an audience makes them seem something they are not.

The attentions of students can do the same for an Instructor's ego (if you let it).
chai2

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 02:56 pm
@Chumly,
yeah, it's hard to reason with someone whose idea settling a dispute is to see who can yell loudest.
Chumly

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 07:08 pm
@chai2,
Beautifully and succinctly said!!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 07:17 pm
More news and rather great fun at that!

I was eating at my desk and red-neck-loud-female-instructor did not like the fish smell, so she got the office to present notices to all of us cubiclers that we should not eat things at our desk if they have a fish scent due to some of the people having so-called "fish allergies".

This is great because red-neck-loud-female-instructor is now bound by the same cubicle-etiquette I would expect from her!
chai2

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 02:40 pm
@Chumly,
HA ha.

I'd get some of that, what's that fruit that smells like rotting **** or something, and leave it on my desk on a little plate and let it sit there for a mid afternoon snack.

Just put some Vicks Vapo Rub under your nostrils.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 05:00 pm
@Chumly,
I think you should complain that you have an allergy to loud red-necks.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 05:41 pm
According to this website, you are justified in punching her in the face: http://peoplewhodeserveit.com/2009/01/12/79-cubicle-phone-screamer/
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 09:48 pm
Funny stuff people!!
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:50 am
@Chumly,
Because of where I sit, I frequently get people that congregate right in front of my desk and talk loudly. Like I really care to hear who you hooked up with last night or you discussing how you are going to reconfiguration the space I work in when my seat isn't even cold.

I am working here (or writing some deep thought on A2k) and I can't concentrate. When this happens, I usually put my work down, turn and face the offenders, stare at them and listen to their conversation.
Chumly

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 04:16 pm
@Linkat,
With red-necked-loud-mouth-female-instructor that would probably be perceived as challenge to her "mighty stature". It seems that standing in front of a class has inflated her ego in combination with her insecurities as discussed below**

As I mentioned at the beginning of this weird thread the most I ever did was once politely ask her to be a bit quieter...........talk about overreacting!

She appears to have taken that request as a personal ongoing offense combined with (as noted earlier) exaggerated and specious claims behind my back.

**I recall her telling me (when she was on friendly terms with me) that she has a loud mouth, and this has caused her trouble. So it would come as no surprise to me that she is sensitized to being too loud.

- However that is not an excuse for her to make her problems my problems.
- Nor is it an excuse for her to mistakingly perceive my simple polite request as a personal attack.
- Nor is it an excuse for her to blurt exaggerated and specious claims behind my back.

Believe me if I wanted to make a personal attack, I could easily come up with something a lot better than words to the effect of "would you please be a bit quieter?"
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 04:28 pm
@Chumly,
I have had to ask people this before and most times they are very nice about it - it just seems so obvious that you are talking right in front of some one working that it would be distracting and difficult to concentrate.
0 Replies