Putting a Rug Over Carpet

Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:32 am
Is this weird? We have light carpeting and 2 dogs and now a number of stains that make the carpet look disgusting, despite having just been cleaned. I'd like to put an area rug down in the middle of the living room, adding color, decoration and hiding the nasty looking carpet below.

Do you think it will look weird?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 7,255 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed
No top replies

DrewDad

Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:34 am
Nah. We have a big area rug in our front room.

You probably want to get a rug mat, though, to keep it from sliding around.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:40 am
Absolutely not weird at all.

I have two area rugs in my living room.

One under the couch/coffee table area, one under the man chair.

Not just practical with kids/dogs/adults with shoes, but it's beautiful as well.

It breaks up the room into areas, and compliments/contrasts with other colors.

Target has great area rugs, and inexpensive enough that you can change them when you get a new look, new season, without breaking the bank.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:35 am
What a bunch of rednecks.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:36 am
Only thing I'm concerned about is the dog pissing on the rug. Much harder to clean an area rug of pee than the carpet.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:44 am
Well, if Chai has done it, then I absolutely must do it too!!
Izzie

Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:24 pm
@Bella Dea,
Yeah, we got old cacky rug down from the conservatory in the lounge room during the winter on top of carpet (despise carpet - sorry, my personal thing - ugh) but with the dogs and cats running in and out- it protects the carpet a little as they are covered in mud (wayyyyyyyys too much rain). Also - kids in welly boots who have an amazing knack of not to remove boots before walking in!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mmmmmm... practical right now rather than what it looks like. Wooden floors again - ONE DAY!
0 Replies

SueJohnson

Thu 3 Oct, 2013 05:06 am
@Bella Dea,
No its actually a easy way to keep hide carpet with some marks or stains on it. I myself spread fancy area rug when there is some party at my home. and at other times i simply remove it as my children lie often on carpet making it a mess.
Lordyaswas

Thu 3 Oct, 2013 06:48 am
@SueJohnson,
Children always make a room look messy. I always store mine in a designer cupboard, tailored for everyone's needs in the modern world, yet comforting.
Bella actually started this thread some years ago, but it's my turn with the time machine next weekend, so I'll pass on your suggestion.

While I'm there, I'll try to squeeze in a few beers with Gus, Kicky, Slappy and all the girls in Eva's Wine Bar.
I wonder if she's still making them there fancy cakes for Francis?

Sigh......

0 Replies

netmark2

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 08:03 am
@Bella Dea,
If chai2 already done this previously then you can also try may it is working.
0 Replies

rugler001

Thu 27 Dec, 2018 03:03 am
@Bella Dea,
You probably want to get a rug mat, though, to keep it from sliding around. It absolutely not looked weird at all. It is covered with all the decorating things.
0 Replies

netmark2

Thu 23 May, 2019 12:40 am
I think it’s a great idea to introduce another rug over the existing one. It may look weird if the colors used are not in sync with each other. Try to use contrast colors to break the monotony of your room. It’s an inexpensive way too.
0 Replies