President Obama to Visit Canada FIRST !

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 05:18 pm
president (elect) obama has announced that his first foreign visit after the election will be to canada
he likely will visit canada in april (he should really come a little earlier - like right now - during a nice arctic coldspell) .
i'm wondering if a reason for his early visit is to ensure a "secure" supply of oil from canada ?
hbg

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090110.wobama0110/BNStory/International/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20090110.wobama0110

Quote:
January 10, 2009 at 6:02 PM EST

WASHINGTON " Barack Obama will follow a presidential tradition and head to Canada for his first international venture in a visit that's certain to help define Canada-U.S. relations during his years in the White House.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's office said Saturday that the president-elect has accepted his invitation to come to Canada soon after his inauguration.

Four of the last seven U.S. presidents have chosen Canada as their first international visit.

personal relations between U.S. presidents and canadian prime ministers have had their ups-and-downs over the years .
you can find the full story at the link .
here is a little taste :

Quote:
When JFK opted to travel first to Canada after his inauguration, he was apparently keen to appear vital and vigorous next to his older colleague.

Too vigorous, it would seem " Mr. Kennedy hurt his back during a tree-planting ceremony on Parliament Hill.

Mr. Kennedy was said to have cursed “Dief” in the years to come whenever his back acted up. He so reviled Mr. Diefenbaker, in fact, that he desperately wanted to help Lester B. Pearson defeat him in 1963, but his aides wouldn't allow it.

Relations between Richard Nixon and Pierre Trudeau weren't any friendlier.

Mr. Nixon famously called Mr. Trudeau an “asshole” after the prime minister got the better of him during an Oval Office meeting, prompting Mr. Trudeau to comment: “I've been called worse things by better people.”

president bush called prime minister STEPHEN harper : "STEVE " - not even harper's closest frinds would dare commit such faux <GRIN> .

TO FRIENDSHIP !
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,245 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Montana

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 05:52 pm
The Harper and Bush relationship makes my skin crawl, so it'll be a breath of fresh air to have Obama take over.

Then Bush will be free to move to Mexico.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 05:56 pm
harper just seems like he'll be pretty uncomfortable around barry

steve just seems so white

should be fun to watch
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 06:43 pm
@djjd62,
Steve and Barry. Oh, the visuals.

Should we dress for it?

With any luck, Mr. Obama will slide in a nice photo op with someone a little more charismatic just before our next federal election call.
Montana

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 06:44 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

harper just seems like he'll be pretty uncomfortable around barry

steve just seems so white

should be fun to watch

Yeah, I'll do fun over scary any day Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 06:46 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Steve and Barry. Oh, the visuals.

Should we dress for it?

With any luck, Mr. Obama will slide in a nice photo op with someone a little more charismatic just before our next federal election call.

Wouldn't that be so cool! I can see the pics now, right here on A2K. Hey, you'd be an instant celeb here, not you you aren't already Very Happy
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:10 pm
He's heard of Montana's Weapons of Mass Distraction....and he wants an up close and personal look...
Montana

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:26 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Laughing Hey that's cool! He can come on up and I'll put on a pot of coffee and since I'm not working at the moment, I'll even get a batch of poutines goin Very Happy

0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:34 pm
barry and steve meeting :

barry : " haps in the hood , steve ? " .

steve : "nar fish de day b'y , barry ! " .

so they'll sit down on the chesterfield , have a double-double and a nanaimo bar .
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:41 pm
@hamburger,
who is that ^^^ man Shocked

Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:43 pm
Laughing
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:55 pm
@Montana,
I think there should be a sing-along, and I recommend

Oh... this is the place where the fishermen gather With oil-skins and boots and Cape Anns battened down All sizes of figures with squid lines and jiggers They congregate here on the squid-jiggin' ground. Some are workin' their jiggers while others are yarnin' There's some standin' up and there's more lyin' down While all kinds of fun, jokes and tricks are begun As they wait for the squid on the squid-jiggin' ground. There's men of all ages and boys in the bargain There's old Billy Cave and there's young Raymond Brown There's a red rantin' Tory out here in the dory A-runnin' down squires on the squid-jiggin' ground. There's men from the Harbour and men from the Tickle In all kinds of motorboats... green, grey and brown Right yonder is Bobby and with him is Nobby He's chewin' hard tack on the squid-jiggin' ground. God bless my sou'wester, there's Skipper John Chaffey He's the best hand at squid-jiggin' here, I'll be bound Hello! What's the row? Why, he's jiggin' one now The very first squid on the squid-jiggin' ground. The man with the whiskers is old Jacob Steele He's gettin' well up but he's still pretty sound While Uncle Bob Hawkins wears six pairs of stockin's Whenever he's out on the squid-jiggin' ground. Holy smoke! What a scuffle! All hands are excited 'Tis a wonder to me that there's nobody drowned There's a bustle, confusion, a wonderful hustle They're all jiggin' squid on the squid-jiggin' ground. Says Bobby, "The squids are on top of the water, I just got me jigger 'bout one fathom down" When a squid in the boat squirted right down his throat And he's swearin' like mad on the squid-jiggin' ground. There's poor Uncle Bille, his whiskers are spattered With spots of the squid juice thats' flyin' around; One poor little b'y got it right in the eye But they don't give a damn on the squid-jiggin' ground. Now if ever you feel inclined to go squiddin' Leave your white shirts and collars behind in the town And if you get cranky without yer silk Hank You'd better steer clear of the squid-jigging' ground.

~~~

hey, did any of you do the CBC 49 songs thing?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:58 pm
you can vote til Friday

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/obamasplaylist/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:00 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger wrote:

barry and steve meeting :

barry : " haps in the hood , steve ? " .

steve : "nar fish de day b'y , barry ! " .

so they'll sit down on the chesterfield , have a double-double and a nanaimo bar .

Sure hope Obama is better with foreign languages than I.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:01 pm
I love it Laughing

I didn't even see anything on the 49 song thing. What's that all about?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:02 pm
Ooops, I posted after you Beth. Thanks for the link.
0 Replies