The $50? Million Dollar Inaugeration

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:42 am

Obama Inauguration Cost Estimated to Reach $160 Million
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:01 am
There's a huge difference between a second inaugeration when you've run the country into the ground with the assistance of a few thousand and one that is a celebration of unity and hope made possible by hundreds of thousands of residents of that same country.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:09 am

With such a high price tag, let's hope the O boy presidency will last longer than William Henry Harrison's.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:26 am

On the other hand... the cost of O boy's coronation is nothing compared to his planned Trillion dollar plus stimulus hand out.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:32 am
I am not one for pomp & circumstance on any level. Saying that, I think that an inauguration deserves a big party.

In life, all changes are marked by ceremony, Birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, deaths all have traditions that marks the change in the life of a person. For a country, the inauguration of a president marks a national changing of the guard. I think that, for the people, the inauguration is an important happening. In the case of Obama, this inauguration has a heightened historical meaning.

Will I watch it? Probably not. I have something that I do at the time when the inauguration would be held. I will catch the news stories in the evening.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:37 am
@Phoenix32890,

We could have all chipped in and purchased a few lap dances for O boy, that would have been a great way to celebrate his coronation Wink
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:31 am
@squinney,
The $160 million estimate is suspect. They don't list how they get to that number. The numbers they do represent don't come close to adding up to it. It appears they double count some numbers when they include all numbers for security requested for VA, DC and Md but later include moneys allocated as if it is separate.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:10 pm
I wonder how much it cost the taxpayers for Bush (and his entourage and security detail) to make his unnecessary flyover to Iraq to receive the shoe in the face.

gungasnake

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:11 pm
@Foxfyre,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/freebirdny/PICS/obamashaka.jpg?t=1232391562
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:24 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
I wonder how much it cost the taxpayers for Bush (and his entourage and security detail) to make his unnecessary flyover to Iraq to receive the shoe in the face.

Whatever it was...I am delighted that I shared that particular expense!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:39 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/freebirdny/PICS/obamashaka.jpg?t=1232391562

Laughing Good one!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
I have a link that refers to that - back in a minute.
It helped clarify the money issues on this for me.

Here it is -
http://mediamatters.org/columns/200901170003
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:12 pm
@ossobuco,

Yeah, lets focus on what O boy is spending... Bush has just about left the building.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:13 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I am not one for pomp & circumstance on any level. Saying that, I think that an inauguration deserves a big party.

In life, all changes are marked by ceremony, Birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, deaths all have traditions that marks the change in the life of a person. For a country, the inauguration of a president marks a national changing of the guard. I think that, for the people, the inauguration is an important happening. In the case of Obama, this inauguration has a heightened historical meaning.

Will I watch it? Probably not. I have something that I do at the time when the inauguration would be held. I will catch the news stories in the evening.

As said earlier, yes some pomp and ceremony is certainly appropriate to mark the swearing in of the new duly elected leader of the free world, not only to honor the person and office, but as an example that can be reported throughout the world. And certainly this especially historic inaugeration deserves its due.

I just wish President-elect Obama had chosen to be a true example of real and rational change instead of another prima dona who seems to think he deserves $150+ million to be spent glorifying him while the little people can 'eat cake'. (And yes, I have criticized every president in my lifetime since Carter for lavish expensive inaugerations. This one just seems over the top especially because we are in such difficult financial times.)

Quote:
What Recession? The $170 Million Inauguration
Obama's Inauguration Has Been Financed Partially by Bailed-Out Wall Street Executives
By SCOTT MAYEROWITZ
ABC NEWS Business Unit
Jan. 19, 2009

The country is in the middle of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, which isn't stopping rich donors and the government from spending $170 million, or more, on the inauguration of Barack Obama .

Employees at banks, brokerages and Wall Street firms donated $7 million Barack Obama's inauguration.

The actual swearing-in ceremony will cost $1.24 million, according to Carole Florman, spokeswoman for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies.

It's the security, parties and countless Porta-a-Potty rentals that really run up the bill.

The federal government estimates that it will spend roughly $49 million on the inaugural weekend. Washington, D.C., Virginia and Maryland have requested another $75 million from the federal government to help pay for their share of police, fire and medical services.

"We have a budget of roughly $45 million, maybe a little bit more," said Linda Douglas, spokeswoman for the inaugural committee.

That's more than the $42.3 million in private funds spent by President Bush's committee in 2005 or the $33 million spent for Bill Clinton's first inaugural in 1993.

Douglas said that this will be the "most open and accessible inauguration in history," with members of the general public able to participate on a greater scale than ever before.

"The money is going toward providing events which we hope are going to connect people, make them feel like we are all in this together and reinforce the notion that when we pull together, we're stronger," Douglas said. "And we need to pull together to face the challenges that are before us today."

Among the expenses: a Bruce Springsteen concert, the parade, large-screen TV rentals for all-free viewing on the national Mall, $700,000 to the Smithsonian Institution to stay open and, of course, the balls, including three that are being pitched as free or low cost for the public.

But there are plenty of rich donors willing to pick up the tab.

"They are not the $20 and $50 donors who helped propel Obama through Election Day," said Massie Ritsch, communications director for the Center for Responsive Politics. "These are people giving mostly $50,000 apiece. They tend to be corporate executives, celebrities, the elite of the elite."
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inauguration/story?id=6665946&page=1
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:16 pm
@Foxfyre,
Certainly one should add to the costs mentioned in the above report all those for the parties elsewhere in the world - even in our small town here in Germany we are having two! (Initiated by US-expatriates.)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:27 pm
I don't care what anybody does with their own money. I think locally organized celebrations and get togethers planned and financed by individuals are great. I do have a bit of a problem with taxpayer monies going to fund parties as well as bailout monies, also taken from the taxpayer, going to fund parties.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:31 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I just wish President-elect Obama had chosen to be a true example of real and rational change instead of another prima dona who seems to think he deserves $150+ million to be spent glorifying him while the little people can 'eat cake'.

Of course, you realize that, if you calculate the cost for Bush's 2005 inauguration the same way the $150+ price tag for Obama's inauguration is calculated (i.e. including cost of inauguration, events and security), you arrive at a cost of roughly $157 million for Bush's 2005 inauguration....
parados

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:32 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:

The federal government estimates that it will spend roughly $49 million on the inaugural weekend. Washington, D.C., Virginia and Maryland have requested another $75 million from the federal government to help pay for their share of police, fire and medical services.

"We have a budget of roughly $45 million, maybe a little bit more," said Linda Douglas, spokeswoman for the inaugural committee.

That's more than the $42.3 million in private funds spent by President Bush's committee in 2005 or the $33 million spent for Bill Clinton's first inaugural in 1993.
The numbers continue to be a crock if ****.
The federal govt estimates it will spend $49 million. The $75million request is NOT on top of that. What part of the Federal government will spend $49 million doesn't the author get?
The $42.3 million in 2005 by Bush doesn't include the Federal funds. So the comparison is again a crock of ****.

The $170 million is a fictional number. The $150 million is fictional. The federal government and Obama are not spending that amount for the inauguration.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:36 pm

None of the money being spent on O boy's coronation will benefit the average American and this
is just the beginning of 4 years of incredible spending that will not benefit average Americans.
parados

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
Yeah, no average American is going to benefit from those 5000 porta potties. Rolling Eyes