Conservatives' cookies a bargain for minorities, women

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 11:15 am
From Newsday:

September 24, 2003, 11:17 PM EDT

DALLAS -- Southern Methodist University shut down a bake sale Wednesday in which cookies were offered for sale at different prices, depending on the buyer's race or gender.

The sale was organized by the Young Conservatives of Texas, who said it was intended as a protest of affirmative action.

A sign said white males had to pay $1 for a cookie. The price was 75 cents for white women, 50 cents for Hispanics and 25 cents for blacks.

Members of the conservative group said they meant no offense and were only trying to protest the use of race or gender as a factor in college admissions.

Similar sales have been held by College Republican chapters at colleges in at least five other states since February.

A black student filed a complaint with SMU, saying the sale was offensive. SMU officials said they halted the event after 45 minutes because it created a potentially unsafe situation.

"This was not an issue about free speech," Tim Moore, director of the SMU student center, said in a story for Thursday's edition of The Dallas Morning News. "It was really an issue where we had a hostile environment being created."

The sale drew a crowd outside the student center and several students engaged in a shouting match, Moore said.

David C. Rushing, 23, a law student and chairman of Young Conservatives of Texas at SMU and for the state, said the event didn't get out of hand. At most, a dozen students gathered around the table of cookies and Rice Krispies treats, he said.

"We copied what's been done at multiple campuses around the country to illustrate our opinion of affirmative action and how we think it's unfair," he said.

Matt Houston, a 19-year-old sophomore, called the group's price list offensive.

"My reaction was disgust because of the ignorance of some SMU students," said Houston, who is black. "They were arguing that affirmative action was solely based on race. It's not based on race. It's based on bringing a diverse community to a certain organization."

The group sold three cookies during its protest, raising $1.50.

In June, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled universities could use race as a factor in admissions under limited conditions. In Texas, universities had been banned from using race as a factor under a 1996 decision by a lower court.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 919 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 11:38 am
Maybe the cookies weren't any good.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 11:54 am
That's the kind of subtlety that make conservatives so admirable. Love the fact that the event has been staged at different campuses. So clever, those right wingers...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:19 pm
What was the point? Dumbest anology I've ever seen. Are they saying blacks pay 25% of the tution white male students do? or that 50% more hispanics get in to college than the poor white male? Stoooopid.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:32 pm
It could easily be reversed on them, that rich white kids are more likely to be able to buy their way into a university.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:42 pm
No doubt, I'm just a little lost on what the message is exactly.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:11 pm
Gota love the stupidity of the young conservatives! Sad
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:21 pm
Well. Professor Hobibob may indeed rail at the "stupidity of young conservatives". I do think the cookie incident was rather brash. I think the students should have gathered evidence rather than playing "games".

I wonder if Professor Hobibit knows of the existence of a document entitled" 1995 Law Grids" published by Harvard University?

This document gives lists of Harvard Students who, in 1995, applied to Law Schools all over the nation.

The lists show the following:

Law School applied to:

listing of Applicants from Harvard who applied to, for example, New York University Law School.

The list DOES NOT GIVE NAMES BUT IT DOES GIVE THE FOLLOWING

Major concentration of student applying

GPA of student applying

LSAT score of student applying

Home Residence( state) of student applying

and MOST INTERESTINGLY, THE ETHNICITY OF STUDENT APPLYING.

Well, maybe "cookies" are the wrong item to use to show that ethnic favoritism and Political Correctness has gone berserk.

If Professor Hobibob were to view the document( Law Grid- 1995), he would find that the lists of names are given in order based on the LSAT score and that, if we view the students from Harvard who applied to NYU law school , we would find that only two African-Americans were listed in the first 60 names listed- BOTH OF THEM WERE ACCEPTED AT NYU.

The main point here is that there were 14 NON AFRICAN AMERICANS WHO HAD HIGHER LSAT SCORES THAT THE AFRICAN AMERICANS WHO WERE ACCEPTED WHO

WERE REJECTED.

Now, the people selling cookies should have used the Law grids as wrappers. Then, they could have made thier case.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:28 pm
I guess the prof hit a sore spot....
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:39 pm
Well, Ceili, if I am correct, my post stands.

If am easily disproven it will not stand.

Somehow, I think that the evidence I offered is so incontrovertible that no one will mess with my post.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:46 pm
puhleeze
There are more qualifications needed to enter law school and/or getting a job than grades. The study offers none of these as alternate reasons for turning down the aplicants.
Why is the colour of any student the MOST interesting part of this study and to whom.
Ceili
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 08:20 pm
Liberals could do the old switcherooo and sell some conservative style: 60 bucks apiece to everybody, but give them to their cronies free.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 08:31 pm
Ceili- I am very sorry. Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I will recapitulate.

The Law Grid gave the LSAT SCORE( those are not grades) and the GPA.

If you will go to almost any source or book that speaks about applying to Law School, you will find that Law Schools, especially the best ones, utilize the LSAT and GPA as the two most pertinent and important measures.

My point was that Afro-Americans on the list I referenced were chosen over non Afro-Americans EVEN THOUGH THE AFRO-AMERICAN LSAT SCORE WAS LOWER AND THE GPA'S WERE LOWER.

As for your comment that more "qualifications" than grades are needed, Please be so good as to inform me what those "qualifications " are.

I trust that they are objective qualifications.

And, as far as getting a job goes--Do you know what the 100 top US law firms look for?

If you don't I'll be glad to tell you.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:23 am
Italgato wrote:
My point was that Afro-Americans on the list I referenced were chosen over non Afro-Americans EVEN THOUGH THE AFRO-AMERICAN LSAT SCORE WAS LOWER AND THE GPA'S WERE LOWER.

So what? Are you suggesting that higher-scoring candidates were somehow better qualified to go to law school? If so, what evidence do you have to support that position?

Italgato wrote:
As for your comment that more "qualifications" than grades are needed, Please be so good as to inform me what those "qualifications " are.

Undoubtedly they are whatever qualifications NYU deems important.

Italgato wrote:
I trust that they are objective qualifications.

Why should they be objective?

Italgato wrote:
And, as far as getting a job goes--Do you know what the 100 top US law firms look for? If you don't I'll be glad to tell you.

I don't know about Ceili, but I'd be interested in hearing what you think law firms are looking for in job applicants, gato.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:25 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Liberals could do the old switcherooo and sell some conservative style: 60 bucks apiece to everybody, but give them to their cronies free.

I note that the Young Conservatives of Texas weren't selling Rice Krispies Treats for $.25 to children of alumni. I suppose they only object to some forms of affirmative action.
0 Replies