Gisele Freund - photo exhibit I'd like to see, in Berlin

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 09:32 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/arts/design/08abroad.html

I'd never heard of her, but then, while I've sort of followed photography in a desultory way, I haven't really explored as much as I could.

Here is a photo by her of Henri Matisse..

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/01/08/arts/slide9.jpg

I've not been to Germany, not Berlin. I'd check this out if I were anywhere near there.

Which reminds me, back in 1999, on my 13 cities in 29 days photo trip to italy, I was in Cremona to see the piazza with the duomo and baptistry - and there happened to be a large/cool exhibit on Margaret Bourke-White. Ka-powie - or sort of ka-powie.

Anyone here know about or follow Gisele Freund's photos?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 4,215 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Montana

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 10:54 pm
@ossobuco,
No, but I was really surprised to see my name floating about. I don't see it very often anywhere.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:00 pm
@Montana,
I thought of you...
ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Montana, I still don't know how to pronouce it for sure.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:09 pm
Awwwww!!! You did? :-D

I'll do the best I can to describe how it sounds.

Jizel ;-)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:28 pm
@Montana,
Ok, then, I understand that..

I don't know where I got it, but I thought for a while that it was something like..

get ready...

Ghee' -se-ley.

From any online exploration I do, it seems I made that up, nothing to do with reality.

Ah, anyway, the photographer is interesting.
Montana

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, you were waaaayyyyyyy off Laughing

I just read the story and it was an interesting read.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:50 am
Actually, she was born with the old German name Gisela Wink

I've seen some of her work years ago, in Paris and Braunschweig ('Brunswick') (I think).

Online, some works here, and here from Berlin (click on the arrow below photo/right top for slide show)
0 Replies

Joehille

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 12:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm looking for info on what kind of film Freund used, does anyone have any clue how she got the kind of color she did?
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 01:27 pm
@Joehille,
Not me, but I'm glad to see the thread keep going.

I'll nose around to see if I can find out, but you probably already have googled. One of our best photographers here is off on a world type tour, lucky man, but I can private message him to see if he would look at this thread in case he has any advice..
edit to say it might take some time for him to see my message.

Perhaps there are books on her and her work, maybe with info that isn't just floating around online.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 06:44 am
@Joehille,
I'm photographer and can tell you some of the technical details, however not the historic specifics you're asking.

I did some research and notice that in one of the pictures I can tell the type and model of camera she the used (at least in her later years) but not specifically or exactly the type of film.

FYI, I own the same medium-format camera Rolleiflex TLR (Twin Lens Reflex). She would've used a specific type of roll film camera in later post-WWII - say after '49, For example, mine is a similar model dates to 1963...hers in that image was probably post-1950).

The color film choices available for it were only a few for this timeframe. The color fidelity is high..so that'd rule out conversion from slide film of the day.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 03:10 pm
correction: in a later photography self-portrait, she clearly used a Rolleicord (not Rolleiflex as I previously thought). These models are fairly similar, however. many times those 2 models (Rolleicord and Rolleiflex TLR used either Zeiss or Schneider lenses. Sharpest lenses of their day.

Furthermore, I found the following info out about her use of films.

"Freund's major contributions to photography include using the Leica Camera (with its 36 frames) for documentary reportage and her early experimentation with Kodachrome and 35 mm Agfacolor, which allowed her to develop a "uniquely candid portraiture style" that distinguishes her in 20th century photography.
She is buried at the Montparnasse Cemetery in Paris, France near her home and studio at 12 rue Lalande."

However, I'll add that afterwards (from the '80s onward), many of these works may have been 'improved' with modern print processing techniques. It might be hard to say what her first prints appearnce in display was in her lifetime.
0 Replies