New career idea: Librarian

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 11:40 am
Does anyone around here have any insight into what it's like to be a librarian, and what the future holds for people in this profession? My idea is to go get an MLS (Masters in Library Science) and then find a job at a college library if possible. Being a part of the college lifestyle is a big part of the appeal with this plan. I can see myself working in the comforting quiet of the library with books all around me, and taking classes at the college for free--who knows, I might even become intelligent!

It might be the case that since it's the new year I need a new delusion about my future and in a month I'll forget all about it and just keep on going down the same dead-end path I'm on until I become so uninterested that my skills deteriorate to the point where I become incompetent and unemployable. Or maybe I've finally come up with a workable idea that I can and will execute. Either way, I'd appreciate any insight into the profession of librarian.

Thanks,

Kickycan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 4,958 • Replies: 51
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 11:41 am
It might change to Custodian of Computers very soon, but, otherwise, sounds great.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 11:41 am
@kickycan,
If I recall, eBeth knows quite a bit about this. I remember her saying that it is hard to find jobs as a librarian......
Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 11:46 am
@kickycan,
I actually know some one who did this. She used to report to me and I gave her a reference for a job as a librarian at a college! She was going to that particular college to get her education Master in Librarian.

She fit the imagine to a "T". The hair, glasses and clothes - I thought, man, this is her! It also fit her personality. I gave her a glowing recommendation.

Unfortunately Kicky - it really doesn't seem to fit you.
djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 11:47 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:
Being a part of the college lifestyle is a big part of the appeal with this plan. I can see myself working in the comforting quiet of the library with young college girls all around me,

i believe this is what you meant to say

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 11:53 am
Jespah's mother was a librarian.

Here's one post where she described a little of it:

http://able2know.org/topic/27839-1#post-768937

kickycan

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 12:05 pm
@djjd62,
Definitely another major plus of the college librarian lifestyle.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 12:08 pm
@Butrflynet,
I read that, and although she said it was not a low-stress job, compared to what I do now it sounds pretty low-stress to me.
Izzie

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 12:12 pm
@kickycan,
What is it that you do now Kicky?.... oooh.... can I ask that?
Gargamel

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 12:17 pm
I have been seriously considering the MLS for some time. It is indeed a saturated market, friends have confirmed, though part-time work as a reference assistant seems to be in abundance. I blame hipsters. Every hipster in the USA now has an MLS. So they can wear their cardigans and v-necks...okay, I'm wearing a v-neck, but I digress...

School ain't a bad place to be right now if you're unemployed. Or hate your job. What it all boils down to, I think, is that you must be willing to relocate to the Middle of Nowhere to secure a positon.
George

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 12:23 pm
A friend of mine went that route, but was unable to find a college position
anywhere he wanted to live. He became a high school librarian (at a private
high school in California) and enjoyed it. He had to teach some classes as well.

The problem of course is that even in a private school, high school kids can be
a major pain in the buns.

0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 12:46 pm
@Izzie,
I work as a graphic production artist at a pharmaceutical ad agency. There are a lot of annoying stressful aggravations like insane deadlines, complicated printing problems to resolve, always another new version of some new complicated software to learn, and the joy of knowing that no matter how many other people have worked on the job, you will be the asshole who gets in trouble if anything is wrong with the job.
kickycan

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 12:46 pm
@Gargamel,
I'm willing to relocate to anywhere that's warm and/or tropical.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 12:48 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Unfortunately Kicky - it really doesn't seem to fit you.

I think it's possible I could fit into that lifestyle. I'm getting less and less outgoing and more and more boring everyday.
Gargamel

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 01:02 pm
@kickycan,
Your technical background does give you a head start, FYI.
mismi

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 01:08 pm
@Gargamel,
Quote:
kickycan wrote:
Being a part of the college lifestyle is a big part of the appeal with this plan. I can see myself working in the comforting quiet of the library with young college girls all around me,

Quote:
i believe this is what you meant to say

Laughing funny - that's what I was thinking Wink

I have a cousin who is around 42 who is the Master Librarian at University of West Virginia - he loves it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 01:24 pm
Hmm, I don't know if they offer free college courses any longer at most schools to staff that work there; a discount, perhaps.

You could probably sit in on whatever course you like for free, and just get the education, if not the degree following it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 01:54 pm
Heyas kicks, yeah, my Mom is a retired reference librarian. I'll see if I can persuade her to send me some info. There are few men in the profession so that could help you in terms of securing a job.
Izzie

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 02:56 pm
@kickycan,
mmmmm.... too much stress and disillusioned with the job... which I know you have been before... so....

Quote:
taking classes at the college

what kind of classes do you wanna take? I didn't know what an MSL was - so, if it's what wiki says it is - will you be able to support yourself and do classes and all that if you give up your job?

Saw this too... not sure if it's the thing your interested in... but you could maybe give them a call and find out what programmes are available... where it's warm and tropical!!!!!!!! and what they've got to offer.

http://www.ala.org/ala/educationcareers/education/accreditedprograms/directory/index.cfm

<then again, I might be looking at the wrong thing>
kickycan

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 10:56 am
@jespah,
Thanks, any specific information from a real librarian would be greatly appreciated.
0 Replies