What is the Worst Casting in Movie History?

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:12 pm
@princesspupule,
princesspupule wrote:
Willem Dafoe as Jesus in "The Last Temptation of Christ."

Was that the one where David Bowie was Pontius Pilate?
chai2

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:14 pm
@jespah,
yes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:15 pm
@jespah,
Serious business, Bowie played Pontius Pilate? Wow . . . that must be a veritable treasure trove of bad casting.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:28 pm
Ronald Reagan as president of the United States.
chai2

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:31 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Serious business, Bowie played Pontius Pilate? Wow . . . that must be a veritable treasure trove of bad casting.

Here the link to Bowie's big scene in the movie.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtCxmNEttQ

doesn't really capture the insanity of the film. This is perhaps one one the few quiet moments in the film.

I didn't know anything about Martin Scorsese at the time, so watched the film as an innocent. Between the near constant ululating and finger symbol crashing, bodily fluids emmersing Mary Magdalyne, and the lighting, I was utterly undone.

Fountofwisdom

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:45 pm
One of my favourite reviews is of bob Dylan in " Renaldo and Clara" apparantly he couldn't even act himself convincingly.

In Britain a radio station asks for nominations of bad acting performances and gives the actor a wooden sounding satirical name

This year it was Canoe Reeves.
Last year It was Ikeanu Reeves. (Ikea is a furniture store.)
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:45 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Ronald Reagan as president of the United States.

Folks, you can stop calling, we have a winner!
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:49 pm
You'll have Arnold Schatzneigger running for office next.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:16 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:
Last year It was Ikeanu Reeves. (Ikea is a furniture store.)

We have Ikea here. My home is done in Early Ikea.
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:20 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I loved the line in Robin Hood: Men in Tights in which Cary Elwes says: "Because, unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent."

That was the best.

And that did always throw me in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves....what the hell was an Englishman (and a noble at that!) doing without an English accent? Did he lose it in the Crusades?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:41 am
I know that my "take" on this is an unpopular one, but I hated Marlon Brando in "The Godfather". He looked like a gerbil, and mumbled all through the part.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:56 am
@Phoenix32890,
Agree with you totally, Phoenix. Don Corleone was one of the most bizarre roles Brando ever attempted.

My own "favorite" : Charlton Heston as Moses in The Ten Commandments. Not only miscast but a blasphemous choice as well, imo.
Gargamel

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 10:00 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Saw Last Temptation of Christ immediately after reading the book, which wasn't fair I admit. Thought Dafoe's performance was commendable and I suppose a musical bias helped me to buy Bowie's. But I draw the line at HARVEY KEITEL as Judas. WTF? Did Judas run a barber shop in Little Italy?
eoe

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 10:10 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Agree with you totally, Phoenix. Don Corleone was one of the most bizarre roles Brando ever attempted.

My own "favorite" : Charlton Heston as Moses in The Ten Commandments. Not only miscast but a blasphemous choice as well, imo.

How about Edward G. and Vinnie Price as Dathan and Baka? That was a hoot!!! But that's why we love it, right?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 11:51 am
@Gargamel,
Yeah, well . . . dey all sleep with da fishes now . . . no?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 12:07 pm
Tony Curits in the 1960 movie 'Spartacus'..(heaviest Bronx accent on earth). he played Antoninus. What were they thinking?
Fountofwisdom

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 01:21 pm
@jespah,
You have to be careful with language: I had some Americans talking to me innocently about a soap called fuzzy wuzzy: in England its a term of racial abuse (referring to afro hair). I'm sure the pine furniture is an excellent choice.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 01:50 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:

I'm curious...who do you think they should have cast?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:15 pm
Abe Vigoda . . .
boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:40 pm
Has anyone mentioned Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" yet?

That was awful.