How do you want your eggs?

mismi

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 04:07 pm
@George,
Quote:
But the best trick is to first fully heat your pan before adding the grease*

I did not know that! I knew sometimes it stuck and sometimes it didn't - but I did not know why...well - that's just exciting - think we will have some of that in the morning! Thanks Green Witch
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 06:28 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
But the best trick is to first fully heat your pan before adding the grease*. Food doesn't stick when you do this.

I didn't know that. Cool. I'll have to try it tomorrow. By the way, the best thing to scramble your eggs in is bacon grease (if you like bacon) Smile
djjd62

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 06:32 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

My Mom makes chicken in a basket - I can't do it yet - need to practice I guess...she tears a hole in whole wheat toast and butters both sides...she then puts it in the (Pam sprayed) skillet and cracks an egg in the hole then flips it to finish the other side...it is quite yummy. So cool how she can do that.

love that, i use a round cookie cutter to make a hole in the bread
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 06:38 pm
@djjd62,
Ms. Picky likes her eggs whisked briskly at some length and then scrambled past the wet stage but not too far past. Ms. Picky shuns islands of egg white, due to a childhood phobia which lasts til this day re the ugginess of cooked eggwhite. Ms. Picky loves omelets, but, of course prefers them with the egg just right and the stuffing not like the compilation of an entire grocery store.. more like a treasure to be found. She is presently happy enough with the spinach pinon omelet at Calico Cafe on 4th.

djjd62

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 06:45 pm
@ossobuco,
i will on occasion make a western like omelet, but usually just make them with cheddar cheese
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 07:40 pm
@djjd62,
I haven't looked up western omelet recipes (why would I do that?). I'm western, so my eggs are ok by definition, she says. Cheddar cheese is good.
djjd62

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 07:44 pm
@ossobuco,
in canada a western omelet has ham, onion, green and or red peppers and cheese
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 07:48 pm
@djjd62,
Fine with me, but that's restaurant talk.
djjd62

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 07:49 pm
@ossobuco,
true
littlek

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 07:55 pm
I have two favorite fancy-egg dishes. One is huevos rancheros, NM style. Especially favored is the HR served at Dave's Not Here in Santa Fe. The other is a dish I had in Byron Bay in Australia. It was fried eggs over a croissant and served with slices of avocado and baked beans. Yum!

Simple eggs I eat any old way: fried, scrambled, omelet, boiled or poached. just had a boiled egg five minutes ago.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 07:57 pm
@djjd62,
Wonder who started that western omelet stuff....
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 08:02 pm
@ossobuco,

My fancy egg dishes are devolved from asian egg custard things - eggs beaten, some diluent like a bunch of water, chopped scallions, and much this and that, in a glass pie dish, probably oiled or buttered, baked x amount of time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 08:07 pm
@littlek,
I think a few of us need to make a trip to Dave's Not Here one of these days.
JPB

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 08:30 pm
@rosborne979,
I grew up on foods fried in bacon grease. I guess we must have had lots of bacon because we had a separate bacon fat can in the fridge for frying whatever it was that needed frying, particularly eggs.
littlek

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 08:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Please do, and let me know if it's still great.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 09:01 pm
@littlek,
All right.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 10:01 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I grew up on foods fried in bacon grease. I guess we must have had lots of bacon because we had a separate bacon fat can in the fridge for frying whatever it was that needed frying, particularly eggs.

Geez Louise. So did we. Rolling Eyes
Plus another can of grease for frying fish. You think it's a Louisiana thing?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 10:08 pm
@eoe,
She was raised in Vermont, and I in Kansas.

Bacon grease is a poor folk thing, I thinks...

(not a bad one, as I still have a container in the fridge)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 10:15 pm
Quote:
Bacon grease, also known as bacon drippings, is the grease created by cooking bacon. When bacon is cooked, its fat naturally melts, releasing a highly flavorful grease. Bacon grease is traditionally saved in southern U.S. cuisine and used as an all-purpose flavoring for everything from gravy to cornbread[7] to salad dressing.[8]

One teaspoon (4 grams/0.14 ounces) of bacon grease has 38 Calories (160 kJ).[9] It is composed almost completely of fat, with very little additional nutritional value. Bacon fat is roughly 40% saturated.[9] Despite the health consequences of excessive bacon grease consumption, it remains popular in the cuisine of the American South

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon
Rockhead

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 10:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'll take it over processed grease any day...

(I use olive oil mostly, but beans and such <and fried eggs> need the bacon)