Meaning of life.

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 09:23 am
Hello to everyone. I am new here so I don´t know if this in the right cathegory but I don´t want religious people to answering this. No offence, I want this to be a scientific discussion.

I want change opinions of life and existence and I can´t do it here because nobody is interested about talking about such matters. Most people in the world have a religious wiew about the meaning of life. I am atheist so I belong in the minority of the world. More I learn about the world, history and universe less I believe in religion and a point of existence.

We are just a product of evolution of the universe. Actually we are all "starchilds" because our sun, earth and all life on it is here because many stars exploded their material to space a long time ago. This is ofcourse basic sciense. Life is not more than surviving on a rock in a galaxy among billions of other galaxyes.

I am trying to see a point in existence of mankind. Selfishness and greed of people makes them blind to wars, poverty, pollution and destruction of the planet.

This is the only planet we have and there are only two kind civilizations. The ones who expands to space from their home planet and the ones who will be extinct. I don´t understand when man has the knowledge of this and else what he/she is doing, why dosen´t mankind concentrate 100% to surving of the whole species?

There are three things in human life that you can but everything from love to religion. These are the things that most of people try achieve. 1. Money 2. Power 3. Sex.

Ignorance is bliss. What you dont know or want to acknowledge is not your problem. I want to take the "blue pill" and not bother myself with deeper questions of meaning or meaningless life, universe, existence, knowledge of world promblems and pointless actions of man.

I can´t do that. Later I want to make a difference in the world to a better place. Now I just want make a discussion about this.

What are we more than energy in one form? There is no "I" it is just a interpretation of the world by our simple brains. "I" will cease to exist the same second the electric impulses stop. You might say "Enjoy your life and live it." "Happiness is the meaning of life" etc. I quote Socrates: "The unexamined life is not worth living"

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 09:27 am
@Starchild,
Life is a large soybean Latte with sugar free peppermint syrup
djjd62

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 09:31 am
@farmerman,
life is like a box of chocolates

except we've lost that little card that tells what each one is

yeach, a hard caramel center

0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 09:32 am
@farmerman,
If that metaphor doesn't strip you of your will to live, nothing will.
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 09:47 am
@George,
Quote:
If that metaphor doesn't strip you of your will to live, nothing will.

I know. My wife drinks these and I say, whats the point?
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 09:51 am
@farmerman,
but I digress.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 01:23 pm
@Starchild,
Oh come on guys, this is a new member and he's asking a legitimate question,
probably appropriate to his/her age.

Welcome to a2k, Starchild Very Happy
You have a pretty idealistic outlook for changing the world. Poverty, pollution
and destruction in the world is something you cannot control, not even if you
were president of the United States. What you can do however, is change the
immediate surrounding of your world, which means: you can help out in
your very own community by volunteering in soup kitchens, donate time
and money to the poor, live frugal and without greed, recycle your waste,
make others aware of pollutants and live a dignified life dedicated to others.
That would be the contribution you can make for yourself and others within your means.
In other words, you start with being a good example to others and
hope they'll follow your intent.

George

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 02:25 pm
@CalamityJane,
Well said.

The meaning of life is you, Starchild. The universe labored and labored and
brought forth you. You are a sentient being, conscious, self-aware, and capable
of asking the point, the purpose of this. Whether or not you are but one form
of energy, whether or not your consciousness persists beyond the here and now,
you are here. Now.

You've thought about this quite a bit, it seems, and you have come to the
conclusion that there is no god to inform the world with meaning. Who then to
do so but you? You can and will change the world. We all do, to a greater or
lesser extent. How you change it and how much is up to you.
Starchild

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 12:22 am
@CalamityJane,
Thank you CalamityJane. I know it is out of my control but I was wondering why doesn´t mankind do more for the survival of the species if it is aware of it and knows that way we act now will destroy the world. I don´t think we have a right to call us as a intellectual being. I don´t want our grandchildrens to look back with anger and say: "Why didn´t we do something when we had the chance." Maybe they can not change things anymore...

Good example is the holocaust. Most people who knew (even high rank military personel) what was happening didn´t do anything to stop it. It is easyer to look away and keep going.

What you said is correct about making a change in immediate surrounding. Big change start from small change. Maybe I have a naive way of thinking that one could start a change at global level. I don´t want to bring religion to this but Jesus had 12 disciples, Buddha had 5 monks, Fidel Castro had 20 people when they started the revolution in Cuba. That is just for examples that from few came many and a big change.

I think change will come from education. We have to teach the children the right way of living for the survival of mankind. It is impossible to change the mind of corrupted politicians but the hope for better future lies in our children.
0 Replies

Starchild

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 12:34 am
@George,
That is a good point. We are here now. Do you agree with me that the meaning of life is survival?

That is the only logical option but mankind does not seem to understand it as a whole. There is still wars about land and resources like it was in the beging of mankind. Only the resource have changed from banana tree to oil. Why doesn´t people understand and acknowledge that we are all in the same planet and same people. What is the point fighting for lines in the sand?

Why we have many different space organizations for every country? Why not just one for the earth? We are all in the same boat.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 12:34 am
@Starchild,
I'm an atheist, as well. Have you considered this means there is no meaning of life, or to life, as I would have said? This isn't something I've really dealt with, but a meaning to life inplies purpose, doesn't it?
Starchild

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 03:20 am
@roger,
I have also been thinking about that option. I think that "meaning of life" is just human imaginationt to fill the void of not knowing what happens after life and where we are. Life is just about evolution like everything else in the universe. Nothing more, nothing less, simple. You can call that a "meaning of life" if you want. Simplest truth is actually the best. Like Einstein but in in the formula E = mc^2. Mass = Energy.

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 03:50 am
@Starchild,
Quote:
I want change opinions of life and existence and I can´t do it here because nobody is interested about talking about such matters.

Welcome to A2K,

I have highlighted the "I" in that sentence because such a concept of "self" with goals and enquiries must be transcended if it is to understand itself.

There are several of us interested in such matters but that "move" is required
in order to follow our discourse.
Starchild

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 06:00 am
@fresco,
Thank you.

I agree there is many things to learn about man itself. Basic science is that "I" is just interpretation of the world and result of evolution. We can not understand four dimension space but we know it is there by mathematics.

Btw. I read a nice arcticle today from a sciense magazine that might change the man evolution as we know it. Ancestor of man did learn to walk allready in trees and not when it came down from the trees.
0 Replies

Josie Foles

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 12:07 pm
@Starchild,
Meaning itself is a human imagining. When I say there is a meaning to something, it implies it is something more than what it actually is. We can understand what happens, when it happens, and how it happens, but "why" is a question that means nothing. What, when, and how can all be perceived and measured. The why exists only in the mind.

We use language to communicate. To anyone who has no understand of an alphabet, words mean nothing. Words have absolutely no mystical power- yet I can communicate with people over extremely long distances without meeting them because humans have invented "meaning."

Since meaning is a human invention, you can't search for it. The universe doesn't care. Meaning is created, not found.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 12:17 pm
@Josie Foles,
"Meaning is created, not found" - and with that you have found the essence
of life.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:23 am
Why should there be a meaning? Just learn to enjoy the good bits.
0 Replies

Starchild

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 02:30 am
@Josie Foles,
I have been on a holiday but now I back online. Very good point. I agree that meaning is created, not found. Maybe "meaning" is the wrong word here. What is life about, surviving and reproduction. I think all of you will agree with me this. It is Darwin´s theory of evoltion and natural selection that is so far the best scientific explanation we have about life. Maybe problem is that people have a "meaning" for their life that distracts them from logical thingking. For example that there is a second life waiting for them and that is why they don´t bother to make the world a better now.

I think we need more scientific education around the world. There will be no need to religion if you have education. That is ofcourse easyer said than done. I have been travelling now 2 years and most people haven´t even heard or dosen´t understand evolution theory. It is will not be a bright future for mankind if continue like this. Wars over what, religion, land, resources, ideologyes. We know how, when and what but can we ask now why? All educated people should understand that only way to survive is to work together for a better future. We ofcourse trying now but I think it will now be enough. More people should "wake up" and instead of focusing to their own needs and life they should see the world as a whole. We are all related even with all the animals on this planet if you go enough back in the evolutionary three. Why destroy the each other and pollute the planet if the logical answer is to survive as a species? As I said before, we can not change the minds of living now but we can change the minds of the children. There lies the hope of mankind. Education of the children.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 03:15 pm
@Starchild,
life's a bitch and then you die.
0 Replies

rjfrt

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 12:08 pm
I disagree that mankind doesn't understand it as a whole. I agree that the meaning of life is survival, but my opinion is that people are asking the wrong question... what they mean is "what is the meaning of MY life?". And I can see why many people would be scared to ask that question. I'm only 20 years old, so maybe our view on the subject is something that changes as we grow older...
0 Replies