Got pulled over by the police today!

Victor Murphy

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 03:19 pm
@TTH,
I couldn't drive fast I only had three more blocks to go in a 30 mph zone!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 03:47 pm

Supergrass - Caught By The Fuzz
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 01:41 pm
I just got this message from the police department!

Mr. Nagle,
If you still have any questions regarding the validity of your registration, I would suggest that you check with the MVA. Explain to them what happened and they should be able to answer your questions. I'm sure if there was a problem at the scene, the officer would have informed you and taken any appropriate action/s.
Off. Rob Garber
Operations Bureau
ebrown p

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 01:55 pm
@Victor Murphy,
The police made an honest mistake... clearly your skin is lighter than he thought at first.

The registration was, of course, just a ruse.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 03:12 pm
@Victor Murphy,
....or how about the cop ran your car's license plate on the computer in his car and the info came back as expired. So, he pulls you over and sees that the registration is valid and not expired. The Dept. of Motor Vehicles has your plate wrong in their computer.
TTH

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 04:16 pm
@Victor Murphy,
....or the cop made a mistake when he typed in the license plate on the computer, that is if he has a computer in his car. Then the info. that would have came back would have been a different car. Just guessing, hard to say.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 06:50 pm
@TTH,
Registration "mistakes" seem to be increasingly prevalent... particularly for Hispanic drivers.

This is a real problem in the Hispanic community especially in the Southwest. Friends of mine tell me their son is stopped a couple of times a month.

It is a very bad thing when Police play fast and loose with the rights of the people they are supposed to be serving.

Victor Murphy

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 07:02 pm
@ebrown p,
I only live four blocks from the police station, and have lived in my present apartment for seven years. This is the only time it has ever happened to me!
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:53 am
The following message came this morning from the Maryland MVA!

Dear MVA Customer,

According to our records we are showing the vehicle as being currently
registered in our system. The information provided is the information that
is showing in our system.

We hope this information will assist you.

A0021

Maryland MVA Customer Service Center
TTH

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:07 am
@Victor Murphy,
So what exactly is the problem? If you wanted to know why he stopped you, you should have asked him at the time. That is hindsight though. Why don't you go down to the police station and ask to talk to him. Then ask why he stopped you.

Also, what is a warning to pull over?
Victor Murphy

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:53 am
@TTH,
The officer turned on his siren! The officer told me he stopped me because my car was listed as being not registered. He looked at my registration card and said everything was OK and that I could go!
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 01:24 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Years ago I was exec of a large service organization housed in a large building. At 2 am one morning, the city cops called to say they found a door open and they couldn't reach the maintenance supervisor. Could I come down to verify everything was okay and secure the building?

I did so and by that time was wide awake. I decided to get on the CB for entertainment and just drive up the interstate for a bit until I got sleepy. So I was chatting with truckers and crusing along when the truckers started reporting a 'smokey' (highway patrol) in the area. About the same time, but unrelated to the smokey reports, I was coming up on a sideroad with a turnaround and took it to head back toward toward.

I became aware of a car coming up close behind me and identified it as the cop. He backed off and followed for a bit and then turned on his lights to pull me over. He asked for license and registration. I had my license but I was driving my husband's company car and did not have the registration. I advised the cop of this and said the car was registered to GAB. He ordered me to get out of the car at that point which I did. He said the car was registered to somebody else, not GAB. (I didn't realize that the car was a lease car and GAB would not have been on the registration.) He said he ran a plate check because I was driving so slowly and made the U-turn right after the smokey reports. He pulled me over because he figured I was drunk.

After I explained who I was and what I was doing out there on the interstate, he decided I didn't look like a car thief and had not been drinking and he let me go. By this time I was pretty annoyed, but I did understand that the guy was just doing his job.

I concur that in your case the cop probably was doing a routine check, inadvertently inputted the wrong number on the plate check, and checked you out when there was no registration indicated. Stuff happens.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 05:23 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
Our officer friend to this day wonders what he WAS guilty of.

Abuse of power.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 06:27 pm
@JTT,
Read Foxy's post again... it has a dangling modifier. I am pretty sure that she meant the pronoun "he" to refer to the guy who was roughed up (not the police officer).

I think she is pointing that if we let cops rough up people without regard for civil rights, at least some of the people who are roughed up will be guilty of something.

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 06:40 pm
@ebrown p,
I did mean the guy that was apprehended, but he was in no way roughed up. He cooperated fully and no force whatsoever was necessary. Most people, however, when arrested at least ask why. This guy didn't.
TTH

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 06:49 pm
@Foxfyre,
I understood you.

btw maybe the guy wasn't arrested, just detained
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 06:51 pm
@ebrown p,
I knew exactly who Foxy meant, Ebrown p. [Is Ebrown your surname?]

There wasn't any dangling modifier in her sentence.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:05 pm
@JTT,
I suspected that... I just wanted to make the point about civil rights very clear.

Ebrown is not a surname. It is just Ebrown... like Cher or Prince.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:37 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Victor Murphy wrote:

I've never heard of this.

I find it amazing that you have never heard about patrol officers doing their job, the job elected officials
orchestrate at tax payer expense and with the blessing of the dumbmasses that elected said officials.

If this is true... BOHICA Victor, because there's a new Sheriff in town, and O boy is his name.

ebrown p

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 08:58 pm
@H2O MAN,
As a taxpayer, I would prefer the police officers find people (with messed up registrations, of course) leaving gun shows.

That would be a good way to flush out illegal activity.