Got pulled over by the police today!

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 12:17 pm
On the way to meet my sister for lunch a police car gave me a warning to pull over. The officer came up to my car and asked me if I owned the car, I said yes. He told me the MVA said it was not registered. Then he asked to see the registration card. He looked at it, gave it back to me, and said everything is OK! The officer never asked to see my drivers license or insurance card, just the registration. I've never heard of this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 6,238 • Replies: 43

NickFun

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 12:40 pm
@Victor Murphy,
There was probably a car matching your description involved in some crime and he was pulling you over as a precaution. I once got pulled over in Cassa Grande, Arizona because there were two of us in the car and the police wanted to make sure my tinted windows were not too dark. I found out later they were looking for illegal aliens crossing the border.
Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 01:15 pm
@NickFun,
The police officer didn't ask to see my license that's what I dont understand!
TTH

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 01:25 pm
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:
There was probably a car matching your description involved in some crime and he was pulling you over as a precaution.

or
He was called to a priority and had to leave.
or
He was hungry for donuts
??????
don't know
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 01:34 pm
@Victor Murphy,
That is odd. Nick might be right in that they had a description of a car and he stopped you for that. Did he take the registration back to his car to call it in or just look at it and send you on your way?

If he just looked at it then he probably had more important things to do, like stop a car that looked like yours that had someone specific in it.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 03:45 pm
Some years ago, one of our good friends, a Kansas State Highway Patrol officer, ran a routine plate check on an out-of-state car traveling on I-70. When advised the car was stolen, he stopped it, ordered the driver out, ordered him to get face down on the ground and cuffed him while an interested road work crew watched from close range. The arrested driver didn't say a word. Meanwhile the dispatcher was hollering at him and he left the guy on the ground to go back to respond to the radio. She advised that she had misread the information and the stolen car was actually a different state--the tag inquired about was fine.

He had to go uncuff the guy, help him, apologize, etc. The man was completely unruffled, calm, not the least bit angry, said that he understood, got in his car and went on his way.

Our officer friend to this day wonders what he WAS guilty of.
Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 04:09 pm
@parados,
He just looked at the registration and sent me on my way!
Rockhead

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 04:10 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Maybe you have the Jedi mind trick thing going on, and just don't know it...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 05:43 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Victor Murphy wrote:

He just looked at the registration and sent me on my way!

File a formal complaint with his supervisor for doing an inferior job! Demand your rights! If you want to have your license checked when you are pulled over by the police, then damn it, they should comply! Wink
NickFun

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 06:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
I think that's a bit rash. The cop was simply confirming the registration belonged to that car and the plates were not stolen. No harm was done and Victor went on his way.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 06:03 pm
I was once stopped by a police officer who was looking for a vehichle like mine, and interestingly, part of the description was that the right rear tail light assembly was damaged--and i'd backed into a "waist-high" post a week before, which had not been visible in my rear-view. The officer pulled me over, looked at the registration, then looked at the VIN which is engraved on a plate on the dash exactly so a police officer can see it. Assuring himself that the registration i'd shown him matched that vehicle, he explained that they were looking for a vehicle just like mine, even with the right rear tail-light damaged, but that this obviously wasn't the one they were looking for.

He sent me on my way, and no further questions asked. He did take the time to explain why he'd pulled me over. I would worry about it, if i were you.
Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 06:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
He was polite, I don't want to file a complaint!
Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 06:44 pm
@Victor Murphy,
There are signs around here on the main road that the police are watching for aggressive drivers. I walk with a cain because I have severe arthritis in my legs. I've been in pain for about a week. I figure that he might have seen the expression on my face and decided to check me out, who knows!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 06:56 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
i'd backed into a "waist-high" post a week before, which had not been visible in my rear-view.

It's the post's fault Set. Fancy a ******* post only being waist-high. They should do something about things like that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 07:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
If he didn't call in the plate number before approaching the driver, he should be reported.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 11:03 am
Police often make up things to pull you over. Its not legal, but no one questions it. If you look stoned when they drive by you, they might pull you over with some story about a car like yours involved in a hit and run just to get the opportunity to see if you're intoxicated. Once the see that you just have a cold they don't care about licenses. It wasn't about the car in the first place.
TTH

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 11:26 am
@curtis73,
You must drive real slow in order for someone in a car to see the pupils of your eyes.
Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 12:08 pm
Curtis, you're one of those know-it-all f*ckers, aren't ya? And, like most of them, it appears that you don't know too damned much . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 12:33 pm
Not so many years back, I purchased a car, used. It was in very good condition and I liked it on the road. But, the very next morning after I paid for it, it refused to start. The car sat in the driveway for about three days (the problem was very simple, but, even a mechanic I had on it was puzzled for a time). Prior to this, my pick up had broken down, and I was obliged to walk to work several times. All of this was duly noted by the police, as I found out the first time I drove the car. I had only gotten several blocks up the street, when a police car going in the opposite direction made an immediate u turn to pull me over. He gave the reason that my tail light was loose. After I showed him my license, insurance, etc., he was set to drive off. He looked back at me trying to figure what could be wrong with the tail light, then said something to let me know that it was now acceptable the way it was. I didn't really mind, because, now, the Tomball police knew I was legal and would no longer bother me.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 12:47 pm
a few year back I was in a town along the Arizona/Mexico border.....the cops were looking for illegals and I was driving a full size conversion van at night. A cop followed me for miles and then pulled me over, said that i want over the center line finally and thus he had the right to pull me over, and thus complete his mission of looking to see if I had illegals in my van.

Nice trick.
0 Replies