Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 09:59 pm
... I'm stuck in your damn airport. Help me get home. As for the a2kers, I plan on doing some recreational travel back here in the new year. Tell me some cool things to do when I come back and actually want to be here.

T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,342 • Replies: 18
No top replies

eoe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:35 pm
@Diest TKO,
First of all, eliminate all travel into the city before May and after October. Once things warm up"June, July, August"Chicago is a great city. Beautiful skyline, terrific lakefront and tons to do every day and every weekend.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:37 pm
@Diest TKO,
which airport, it makes a big dif...

(hoping you are at Ohare)
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:37 pm
@Diest TKO,
The wrath of O'Hare. I've been in your situation before. Sucks.

As for recreation, I never much cared for the city personally. I've been to millennium park, and had $12 martinis in the top of the Hancock building. Millennium park was definitely worth seeing. As for the Hancock building, I guess I'd rather have a $5 martini on the ground!!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 11:11 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

... I'm stuck in your damn airport. Help me get home. As for the a2kers, I plan on doing some recreational travel back here in the new year. Tell me some cool things to do when I come back and actually want to be here.

T
K
O

Well, you can meet up with the other A2Kers in the area -- we're a pretty fun bunch.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 11:24 pm
@Diest TKO,
museum of science and industry, spend a day, and do the sub twice...
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 04:43 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

T
K
O

Well, you can meet up with the other A2Kers in the area -- we're a pretty fun bunch.

Can't say it hasn't crossed my mind. Plus my host can't entertain me all the time. A lunch or dinner would be quite enjoyable I imagine. It at least would give me something to blog about.

The headline...

"Meeting internet people in RL: Spell check not required."

T
K
Oh, and by the way, I made it back to DC in one piece.
sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 07:45 pm
@Diest TKO,
Good! (That you made it back in one piece.)

I miss the Field Museum.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 07:53 pm
@sozobe,
When I visited a friend in Chicago a couple times in the mid 90's we went to what I thought was called the Chicago Museum of Technology but I can't find any reference to it on the internet.

It had displays of old communication/telephone equipment and computers and also had a lot of hands-on virtual reality exhibits much like an Exploratorium. We spent an entire day there and still didn't see it all.

If I remember right, it was somewhere down near the Lake.

I also remember a lot of friendly bantering back and forth about the patches of tall weeds Chicago folks call forests. Wink
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 07:56 pm
Hey Diest, how goes all the logistics for the inaugural crowds? You planning on representing us with your eye-witness blog reports?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 07:58 pm
@sozobe,
We had an a2k meeting there in May (I was at the 2006 one) and the weather was just perfect.
Some of us did architectural tours; one with a visit through a Frank Lloyd Wright House among much else, and one including a Chicago River boat ride.
Art Museum was wonderful. A2kers are wonderful. Neat bar, Duke of Perth..
Great music town. Lots of good food.. A few of us walked the city a lot.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:01 pm
@Diest TKO,
The arts and music in Chicago are fantastic. Street popcorn was excellent the last time I had some. Great city, though I'm not a huge fan of it in summer. Give me mid-September to mid-November, mid-April to mid-May.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 09:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Hey Diest, how goes all the logistics for the inaugural crowds? You planning on representing us with your eye-witness blog reports?

Did you really have to ask?

By the way, if you go to my youtube channel, you can watch my election night adventure. To get to my YouTube channel click the link on my blog.

T
K
O
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 11:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

When I visited a friend in Chicago a couple times in the mid 90's we went to what I thought was called the Chicago Museum of Technology but I can't find any reference to it on the internet.

That's because it's called the Museum of Science and Industry.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 11:10 pm
@joefromchicago,
Yeah, I saw their website yesterday. The building didn't look anything like what I remember going inside of, nor did any of the inside photos of the various exhibits.

What I saw must of been just a temporary exhibit, or my memory of that visit has been completely corrupted with lost clusters.
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 01:59 am
I probably won't wait until summer. I'm just crazy like that.

T
K
O
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:50 am
@Diest TKO,
Last time I was there it was in early-mid December -- we had a great time.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 09:07 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Yeah, I saw their website yesterday. The building didn't look anything like what I remember going inside of, nor did any of the inside photos of the various exhibits.

What I saw must of been just a temporary exhibit, or my memory of that visit has been completely corrupted with lost clusters.

They've done a lot of renovation since you last visited. I hardly recognized the place the last time I was there.
eoe

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 12:54 pm
@joefromchicago,
Same here. I went last summer for the first time in many, many years and of course, things were quite different. My husband was as excited as a child. Coming from a small city and not one to visit museums when traveling, he took at least 100 pictures and was blown away by it all. The submarine especially.
0 Replies