Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 07:17 am
Arab stations in Iraq face curbs

The channels are accused of encouraging attacks on US troops
The US-appointed Iraq Governing Council says it has decided to limit the operations of two leading Arabic news channels for "encouraging terrorism".
The news channels have angered Iraqi officials in recent weeks by broadcasting pictures of masked men calling for attacks against US-led occupation forces in the country.

"The Governing Council has decided to ban al-Jazeera and al-Arabiya from covering council activities and official press conferences, and to deny their correspondents access to ministries and council buildings for two weeks," the council said in a statement.

The council plans to closely monitor the channels' output and provide clear guidelines for reporting, it said on Tuesday.

US officials have also criticised the two networks for giving too much prominence to anti-US attacks and providing a forum for opposition to the occupation.

The US civilian administrator in Iraq, Paul Bremer, must approve any action against the two networks.

'Lives over reputation'

Al-Jazeera and al-Arabiya have defended their reports by saying they are committed to giving both sides of the story.

In an interview broadcast on al-Jazeera, Iraqi Governing Council spokesman Intifad Qanbar said the ban was on al-Jazeera's and al-Arabiya's "official and government activities".

"Al-Jazeera and al-Arabiya have regrettably broadcast statements by masked men advocating terrorism. We are against political terrorism. We accept criticism," he said.

"However, we believe that the lives of the Iraqi citizens are above everything, including the reputation of al-Jazeera and al-Arabiya."

In Dubai, al-Arabiya said it had received no official notification of the restrictions and was still operating normally.

"We are trying to cover all aspects of the situation in Iraq as objectively as possible and that includes allowing our channel to be a forum for everyone in Iraqi society... ," Abdul SattarEllaz, programme editor for al-Arabiya, told Reuters news agency.

The council's attitude towards the broadcasters hardened after the attempted assassination of council member Aqila al-Hashimi at the weekend.

Qatar-based al-Jazeera and Dubai-based al-Arabiya have a large team of reporters in Iraq and have earned a wide following across the Arab world.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,153 • Replies: 15
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 07:38 am
You just completely miss the irony, don't you?

We freed Iraq but we clamp down on dissent to the point of censorship?

I suppose al-Jazeera hasn't had the opportunity to develop the same respect for Karl Rove that FOX and Clear Channel have...

And Iraqis don't deserve the privilege of First Amendment rights, at least not if they exercise them in opposition to the POV of the Bush administration.

Now that sounds a bit more like America. At least the America that's devolved in the last three years.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:19 am
An article about the subject from a different angle.

Voice of America
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:35 am
Well, remember the US did bomb al-Jazeera twice. Once in Afghanistan,and once in Baghdad. "Freedom of the press" in the Bush era means freedom to print what the administration wishes to have printed.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:51 am
And all this time, I thought that the Anti-US crowd would want Iraq to start making it's own rules and do a little self-governing.

From littlek's article:

"In another development, a new public opinion poll indicates most Baghdad residents feel the ouster of Saddam Hussein has been worth the hardship they have endured since the war.

The Gallup Poll results show 67 percent of residents say they think Iraq will be in better condition five years from now than it was before the U.S. led invasion. Only eight percent said they think the country will be worse off. The survey was conducted through face-to-face interviews from August 28 through September 4. "

Huh! How about that. That seems like a good sign if you ask me.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:58 am
That statistic is very telling to me. Things are difficult in Iraq, but despite the current problems, almost 7 out of ten Iraqis see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Magnificent.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 03:35 am
And not only that, Sofia and McGentrix, the same poll says that Six in Ten have a favorable view of the Iraq Governing Coalition, but most see its priorities as set by the coalition authorities. Half of the people interviewed by the Gallupo Organizationsaid the Coalition authorities were doing a better job now than two months ago, while 14% said they were doing a worse job."

But the most striking thing about this poll, Sofia and McGentrix is that it was taken in BAGHDAD.

Baghdad is loaded with Baath supporters.

A positive poll in Baghdad about the USA is like a positive poll in the inner cities about the police department--Not expected but nice to get.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:12 am
McGentrix, Sophia, Italgato

Be very careful with this crowd----don't you know pointing to any real progress in Iraq is the equivalent of using patriotism, freedom and democracy in the same breath?

Little----you will also be branded as an open-minded turncoat for posting that article and you will probably start receiving threats in your PM mail.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:22 am
Of course they hope Iraq will be better off. How much worse off could it get? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 02:01 pm
Perception, I thought I'd have been branded much sooner than that post. I have to try harder to be more obvious. And since you are the seer-of-the-future, tell me who will be threatening me?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 02:03 pm
Now now, littelK branding is soooo 'ninties! Treat yourself to a tatoo instead! Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 02:23 pm
I already have a tattoo.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 02:45 pm
LittleK

Anyone who sees any "open minded" participant as a threat to a one-sided ideology. :wink:
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 03:19 am
Professor Hobibit says of course Iraq will be better off. How much worse can it get?

I would aver that it could get much worse since Professor Hobibob has told us on these threads that he will be looking for a job outside the USA.

Iraq could be so unfortunate as to have Professor Hobibob teaching in Baghdad. Then they would have a new professor- Professor Jeremiad.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 03:20 am
I guess Professor Jeremiad( Hobibit) doesn't know how to read polls.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 04:38 pm
perception wrote:
LittleK

Anyone who sees any "open minded" participant as a threat to a one-sided ideology. :wink:

well, no hate mail yet. But, thanks for looking out for me. Cool
0 Replies