How can I receive live BBC TV in the USA ?

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:42 pm
I really like watching several of the BBC tv comedy programs . But the only place I can watch them is the reruns shown on the local PBS channel. These are only old programs that are mostly out of production now. Plus PBS is terrible for constantly interrupting the programs with dumb stuff like Lawrence Welk.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:52 pm
Quote:
How can I get the channel?
BBC AMERICA is available on digital cable systems throughout the U.S. and via satellite on DIRECTV (1-800-531-5000 or www.directv.com) and Echostar's DISH Network (1-800-333-3474 or www.dishnetwork.com).

DIRECTV channel 264
DISH Network channel 135

If BBC AMERICA is not available in your area, please contact your local service provider and request the channel. Our experience shows that the more operators hear from their customers, the more likely they are to add the channel to their system.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/faq.jsp
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:58 pm
@tnshadows,
Tn,
If you check the web for companies in northern-tier states who offer satellite dish reception of Canadian programming, through one of them, you could acquire a true BBC signal, as a friend of mine once did for a few years. The initial paperwork was byzantine, but, once that was past, the system worked beautifully. This transaction CAN involve legal gray areas, so proceed with caution and choose an honest provider who knows the ropes. You don't want a huge fine atop your dish subscription bill. Another angle: call your present dish or cable outfit and ask them if a live BBC feed is available. You'd be amazed what they have but don't advertise. For instance, I have a classmate in AZ who succeeded in acquiring, completely legally, two or three Brazilian channels, so that his Portuguese-speaking wife can enjoy programming in her first language. I have a terrible hunch that the American cable and dish providers want us to watch BBCA (the "A" stands for America); what's available on BBCA is, generally, far crummier than what bits and pieces you find on PBS. Back to Minnesota? Good luck.
0 Replies