Why do my parents not want me to smoke weed?

Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:02 pm
I live in Ohio, where it is very lenient thing to do. The laws are loose, and people usually turn a blind eye to it. I'm a smart kid (15), who has a head on his shoulders. I don't partake in sports, but I enjoy a good book. My parents thing that marijuana will make me dumb, and they bring up the fact that it is illegal- which I know. I don't under stand how they can tell me it is illegal when they themselves gamble with friends (my dad plays poker with the police chief), and my mom speeds on the highway. I don't understand if my homework is done why can't I have a bowl or two to relax from a hard day? It is no different then alcohol- only safer.

So anyways, I have okay grades (I'm sober), when I wasn't sober, I had better grades. I was smoking almost daily. I had A's, and B's. I haven't smoked for about a month, and I have C's, and D's. Hmm.

Anyways, why do my parents hate the fact that I toke a little maryjane to keep me sane?

Thanks.

Rockhead

Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:04 pm
@xSOADXX075,
why don't you ask them?
xSOADXX075

Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:07 pm
@Rockhead,
I did, but they bring up the fact how it is illegal, and I could "go to jail".
Rockhead

Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:11 pm
@xSOADXX075,
you very well could, or not be allowed into a good college, or ...
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:12 pm
@xSOADXX075,
Well, I guess it is, and perhaps you could? I don't know the law where you are.

You sound adolescent, is this correct?

Alcohol and dope are more harmful to immature brains than to adult ones.

You can google a lot of info about this.

You might want to think about that when you choose...especially if you are smoking a lot.

Bi-Polar Bear

Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:19 pm
Maybe they love you and are thinking about your good health and life.....the bastards....
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:06 am
@xSOADXX075,
I hesitate to respond as this seems likely to be a sham post.

But... (Where to start?)

1) Without doing any research, I'm going to guess that Ohio has its fair share of pot busts. Probably a whole lot more than arrests for playing poker or speeding. You shouldn't underestimate the risk of getting busted.

2) Because your parents may break the law in no way invalidates their argument that you should not. You may consider them hypocrites, but so what? The advice is still good.

3) If you describe you non-smoking state as "sober," perhaps you were smoking way too much.

4) If you're doing worse at school now that you do not smoke, it has nothing to do with the fact that THC is no longer coursing through your brain. Maybe it's a petulant blow-back on your part. Pot will make you think you are more brilliant than you are, but it's a sham. Pot didn't get you A's and B's.

5) I like pot and I smoked it when I was your age. Of course I wasn't stupid enough to let my parents know I did, but I'm not someone who automatically thinks your smoking pot is a bad thing. Nevertheless --- You are 15 and unless you are prepared to live on your own (which I very much doubt) then you need to abide by the rules of the people who make your life possible.

Does it really matter why they don't want you to smoke? You're never going to agree with their reasons. It should be enough that they don't. Like most 15 year olds you have no idea what it takes to raise one of your kind: the sacrifices; the worries; the stress.

You should honor thy mother and father, but even if you don't you should have the personal sense of honor to accept the rules with the rewards. It's pretty clear that you get the rewards, even if you don't realize it. I doubt your parents are making you work either outside or inside your home. In fact it seems the only standard of achievement you consider for yourself is "doing your homework."

This is all well and good, you're a kid. If your parents can afford it, and are nice enough, you shouldn't have all sorts of financial burdens at your age. You will, however, eventually leave home and be out on your own. When that happens, smoke all the pot you want. Don't be rude to your parents, but if you're paying your own way, you get to make all of the choices. You also get to suffer the consequences of all of those choices, but that what being an adult means.

(Still think this is a sham - do kids today ever call it "maryjane?" Did they ever?)

Disclaimer: I am all for the legalization and consumption of marijuana, but I am even more for living by a code of personal honor.
Diest TKO

Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:47 am
I have zero moral objection to marijuana, but I'd advise you to comply with their wishes. The pay off simply does not outweigh the consequences be them reasonable or not.

T
K
O
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Sun 21 Dec, 2008 09:04 am
@xSOADXX075,
xSOADXX075 wrote:
why do my parents hate the fact that I toke a little maryjane to keep me sane?

Because they're jerks. They don't deserve an outstanding achiever like you. I suggest you run away from home and join the circus or some comparable organization, like the Republican Party.
aidan

Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:39 am
@joefromchicago,

Quote:

Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention Vol. 8, 1071-1078, December 1999
© 1999 American Association for Cancer Research

Marijuana Use and Increased Risk of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck1
Zuo-Feng Zhang2, Hal Morgenstern, Margaret R. Spitz, Donald P. Tashkin, Guo-Pei Yu, James R. Marshall, T. C. Hsu and Stimson P. Schantz
Department of Epidemiology, University of California at Los Angeles School of Public Health, and Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, California 90095-1772 [Z-F. Z., H. M.]; Departments of Epidemiology [M. R. S.] and Cell Biology [T. C. H.], The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030; Department of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095 [D. P. T.]; New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York, New York 10003 [G-P. Y., S. P. S.]; and Arizona Cancer Center, Tucson, Arizona 85724 [J. R. M.]

Marijuana is the most commonly used illegal drug in the United States. In some subcultures, it is widely perceived to be harmless. Although the carcinogenic properties of marijuana smoke are similar to those of tobacco, no epidemiological studies of the relationship between marijuana use and head and neck cancer have been published. The relationship between marijuana use and head and neck cancer was investigated by a case-control study of 173 previously untreated cases with pathologically confirmed diagnoses of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck and 176 cancer-free controls at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center between 1992 and 1994. Epidemiological data were collected by using a structured questionnaire, which included history of tobacco smoking, alcohol use, and marijuana use. The associations between marijuana use and head and neck cancer were analyzed by Mantel-Haenszel methods and logistic regression models. Controlling for age, sex, race, education, alcohol consumption, pack-years of cigarette smoking, and passive smoking, the risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck was increased with marijuana use [odds ratio (OR) comparing ever with never users, 2.6; 95% confidence interval (CI), 1.1"6.6]. Dose-response relationships were observed for frequency of marijuana use/day (P for trend < 0.05) and years of marijuana use (P for trend < 0.05). These associations were stronger for subjects who were 55 years of age and younger (OR, 3.1; 95% CI, 1.0"9.7). Possible interaction effects of marijuana use were observed with cigarette smoking, mutagen sensitivity, and to a lesser extent, alcohol use. Our results suggest that marijuana use may increase the risk of head and neck cancer with a strong dose-response pattern. Our analysis indicated that marijuana use may interact with mutagen sensitivity and other risk factors to increase the risk of head and neck cancer. The results need to be interpreted with some caution in drawing causal inferences because of certain methodological limitations, especially with regard to interactions.

I read another article that controlled for tobacco and alcohol use and found an increase in bladder and urinary tract cancer in men in their mid-forties.

This is pretty interesting- and I also found another article that linked it to impotency in men and infertility in women and impaired neurological function in terms of reflex time (which is important if you want to be able to drive in a couple of years).

I found conflicting information in terms of a link between marijuana use and lung cancer - but again- those studies are just now being done. I know I read one that linked the fact that joints are filterless, and that you inhale more deeply and hold the smoke in your lungs much longer than with normal cigarettes with an increased risk of emphysema and respiratory illnesses.

besides the fact that most employers require a drug test - and if you can't produce a clean sample - you won't be able to get a job .

But the most thought provoking point made in the articles I read was that since marijuana use has only really been common in the past thirty or forty years - people are only just now able to study the long term effects of the drug- so even though you might think there aren't any - or people say there aren't any - that's only because it's only now being studied in long term users.

And though you may think you won't be one of those long term users - you never know. A lot of people don't find out they have an addictive personality until they start using a drug - and then it's too late.
aidan

Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:00 am
@aidan,
AND, I forgot to add - you probably do have a dependency on this drug if you find that you function better with it than without it...

I've seen the difference in my son and myself- I smoked pot for about six weeks one summer (when I was seventeen) just because my best friends were and the whole time I was like, 'what the hell is supposed to be happening - what' the big deal?' It didn't do a thing for me - although I saw my friends really enjoying it..so one time my friend played a trick on me and gave me some other herb rolled up just to see if I could tell the difference - I could - it smelled different- but I just told him -Yeah - I may as well be smoking oregan0- it doesn't do a thing for me except hurt my throat ...

But my son - LOVED it...It pretty much changed his life for a while (and not for the better). I saw immediately that he was more prone to addiction than I was. And it sounds like you may be too.

Your mom and dad probably don't want you to have to be dependent on a drug for your sense of happiness or calm or to be able to achieve or sleep or whatever.

I know I'd feel the same way - even if it was a legal drug my kid was prescribed - I'd feel sad about that - because it's just one more thing s/he'd have to deal with which might get in the way of their happiness.

I think that's all most parents think about and want for their children.
0 Replies

xSOADXX075

Sun 21 Dec, 2008 04:52 pm
Marijuana is not physically addictive- which is worse than a mental addiction.

And everyone has they're endulgences that they'd rather not be loose, whether it be drinking, smoking, or w.e. This is mine, and I'm just wondering why my parents are disagreeing with it so much.

I didn't ask "Should I stop smoking because my parents want me to", so lets keep the answers based on that question, kthx.
jespah

Mon 22 Dec, 2008 05:24 am
@xSOADXX075,
Yes, you should stop smoking if your parents ask you to.
Yes, you should stop smoking because it's illegal.
Yes, you should stop smoking because it eventually may become addictive -- and may already be becoming so and you may not be seeing that.
Yes, you should stop smoking because it's expensive.
Yes, you should stop smoking because your grades may suffer, even if they haven't yet.
Yes, you should stop smoking because it may eventually lead to lung cancer.
Yes, you should stop smoking because it smells.
Yes, you should stop smoking because it can stifle ambition and drive.
Yes, you should stop smoking.

That enough within your parameters for you?
joefromchicago

Mon 22 Dec, 2008 09:21 am
@jespah,
Buzzkill.
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 22 Dec, 2008 11:48 am
And who says that a mental addiction is better than a physical one?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 22 Dec, 2008 12:02 pm
@xSOADXX075,
Quote:
I'm a smart kid (15)
nope.
smart kids know weed doesn't make them any smarter...
Foofie

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:27 pm
If a 15 year old blinks his or her eyes really slowly, when they open their eyes, they are 18 years old. If they are still smoking at 18, then the discussion changes. It affects job choices, school choices, and yes, even choices as to whether someone would find a pot smoker "eligible" to be a significant other, in my opinion.

In my humble opinion, being a pot smoker puts one into a subculture that some others might just shy away from.
0 Replies

xSOADXX075

Thu 25 Dec, 2008 09:41 pm
First of all, I have a fuckin job.

Secondly, are you gonna tell me that having withdraws, panic attacks, and the like are worse than your mind going "I need this". Explain, seriously.
0 Replies

GoodWitch

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 04:54 am
@xSOADXX075,
because.it.is.our.job.to.ensure.you.dont.have.any.fun......EVER!!!!!
0 Replies

mismi

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 05:02 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
I suggest you run away from home and join the circus or some comparable organization, like the Republican Party

Pthpthpthpth Razz

Listen to your folks...great advice on here. You won't be there long if you do manage to pull up your grades and get into a good college. Then you can call the shots.
0 Replies